no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Citroen rally project

Postby Custard » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Some of you might be interested in my winters project. One of my things I have always wanted to do was rallying when I was younger, but work drinking and having fun is where all my money was spent.
Now I have a bit more time to build things I thought I would try and achieve the dream and do some historical rallying.
However the choice of car came down to what my body could realistically take in the pounding on the ruff stuff, so after some research the old Citroen Ds in the day won most of the events, so I am now in the process of building one, I have started and it is a very complex car and it is going to be quite a challenge but it’s underway and hopefully should look like the end photo in the end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Re: Citroen rally project

Postby simontaylor » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:04 pm

Thats a big comfy chair infront of the steering wheel.
Was in Belgium last weekend, they had a good turnout for Historic class cars.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:54 am

The comfy chair is the same as sitting on a sofa, I think that might be a bit to compliant on a rally.
Historical rallying is becoming pretty big, probably because of all the old blokes like me wanting to get involved, look at the values of the 70/80 rallying cars going through actions.
The historical rallying around the world is big, I have a few on my bucket list, the la jog here, then down to the Citroen hart land for rallying Marocco, then if I am still in one peace as well as the car, Monte Carlo.
Maybe I am mad I am not going to win as with all this sort of thing the old professionals still take part I’m doing it for fun and the adventure, if you’re interested I will be looking for support team and co drivers.
First challenge is to build the car and get it back on the road for July as it’s 100 years of Citroen, it won’t have any rally stuff in it by then just those comfy seats, and a shake down, then the rest of the summer kitting it out properly roll cage, rally seats the full Monty, the roof comes off so you can install all the stuff, you’re rallying chaps could come in handy for advice by then.
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Wow, thats a really interesting choice.

I love these big Citroens. I remenber back in the early 1970s, i was a member of a motor club on Tyneside. I used to marshall on local road rallies. The local Citroen dealer & Weber dealer - Peter Dalkin rallied a DS. He decided to chop it in half & shorten it like the works cars of the time. The rear doors were chopped & welded shut, similar to the car in your photo ( this was years before Audi did it with the UR quattro) To begin with, he mustn't of got the strenghening right. He arrived at a control that i was manning one night. The car was flexing so much that the rear window had fallen out & his navigator had lost some maps. I know he persevered with it and had some local success but it was a steep learning curve. It was fantastic to see it in action though. Good luck with the project.
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:41 pm

Yes I am going to short wheelbase it, it’s the only way to get the Wt down and obviously improved handling, there will be a as much strengthening as possible the way they are built it shouldn’t be that hard. Just welding the doors shut would not add rigidity to the car because of the way they are constructed.
I love the look of them and on the ruff it should be pretty amazing, I might get a smoking jacket and pipe while am at it.
The engine looks basic but it’s not that bad hemi head massive inlet valves a tad under 50mm so should get a good power to Wt for the era, the cars got down to 1,100kg all up hp I think was about 150/60, but from what I have read there winning was down to reliability over long distance and less crew fatigue. Apart from cleaning up the sharp edges in the ports you can’t do any thing as the FIA regs have the outlet di listed and they are at that, but they are pretty good shape and size any way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Looking good, what you really need though is a spare front bumper.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:53 pm

Sorry mate I will probably have a set up for sale myself as that is extra Wt on the car, and it will compensate for the extra Wt of the A/C that will be fitted, at my age with all that adrenaline rush I will need to keep cool. :D
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:35 pm

you are a glutton for punishment! :sarcasm
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:46 pm

This makes an alpine look simple, I am at the worst stage every things in bits and it’s a lot of bits, you do get the wobbles. On the plus side you can get everything there is no shortage of bits, however what I am doing to the car is not in any book and apart from pictures of the original short wheelbase cars, there is no information and there is no information on the suspension set up, a lot of talk about fitting Cx and Sm parts, but what I have learned from doing mods on cars a lot is totally wrong. Part of the fun to me is finding out by driving and trying different things.
Also this is my last big project, getting to old after this for this sort of major project cut and shut ect, fitting body kits is simple compared to this.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Well I’ve been doing loads of cleaning and polishing of old metal and a lot of time on the head all new valves guides ect and just got all the bits back from the balancer. Every time I’ve had an engine balanced it is amazing how bad the old engines were and how they didn’t vibrate more. This will also apply to the Alpine engines as well, so if you have got an engine apart it’s worth the extra money.
If you zoom in on the pictures you can see the amount of metal that has been removed from some of the Conrod caps to give you an idea, a fair bit of metal has been taken of the balance Wt on the crank as well.
User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hampshire

Postby Miles » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:55 am

looking good Stuart.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:10 am

Thanks mate it’s been a long winter of welding 8 weeks averaging 4/5hr a day as proper work got in the way to do the full 8hr.
The car is now complete in its new size and shape and rust busted and sound, all new metal work and strengthening work done, and then it took its first trip to have the cage put in before shot blasting and painting I think it looks pretty good, but it doesn’t look like I’ve done that amount of hrs in work on it to me.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:36 pm

Do the body panels all just bolt on afterwards?
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Postby Custard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Yes none of the panels are structural you can fit the lot in about 40min, that’s why the tub has to be super strong with no rust. I was thinking of having 2 sets one for rallying so not worried about dents and things and one for the road events ect.
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:38 am

Was looking through one of my Alpine books yesterday (Renault Alpine Gold Portfolio). The book is a collection of road tests, rally reports, driving impressions, etc of all the Alpine models. In it is a Motor magazine report of the 1963 Coupe des Alpes in which A110s took the first three places.

The photo of the shortened DS21 caught my eye.
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.
Next

• Advertisement