User

Martin Guard

Rank

Non Member

Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:08 pm

Bewdley. Worcs.

300 Gearbox

Postby Martin Guard » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Interesting little problem this weekend. Couldn't get into reverse, it would lift up and slide over but not go back. Tried it without the engine running, and it still wouldn't select. So to my non-mechanical brain :? that should rule out a clutch problem. First gear was also a bit sticky but eventually it selected even when cold. All other gears fine. I drive down the road a couple of miles and every gear becomes available. But its happened every morning since, can't get reverse when cold but can when its hot. Anyone any ideas or do I have to put a gradient in my garage floor? :(
A110 Berlinette. Venturi Atlantique 300
no avatar
User

ewan

Rank

Non Member

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Dorset

Re: 300 Gearbox

Postby ewan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:09 pm

I had a similar thing develop on my car last summer. While I was at Extreme Limite I had them take a look and they fitted something (can't recall what) quite quickly and cheaply that fixed the problem. It was a grommet or washer or something of that sort, fitted at the gearstick end of the equation (rather than it being anything to do with the box itself or the clutch).

I'll dig out the invoice to see what clues I can uncover.

Sorry to be so vague!
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:47 pm

If it is anything like the set up on the GTA, it could be where the gear linkage rods connect into the gearbox.
Same happened to me on a Macon trip a few years back. Drove 550 miles in a day without missing a beat, then no reverse on arrival in Macon.
The balls on the linkages had popped out of their home in the gearbox.
Not serious and very accessible from underneath the car.
If possible get it up on a ramp, get a helper the engage gears for you and you should see the problem of disconnection where the balls have come out.
Just keep your helper OFF the gear shift while you have your hands in there, As he will have all the purchase and you will have the crushed fingers.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Mid engined Simon...A lot more complex arrangement with the box hanging out the back
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:09 am

ewan wrote:It was a grommet or washer or something of that sort, fitted at the gearstick end of the equation

Sounds like something Mike Brewer would say to Ed China :)
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:24 am

Gear change mechanism I think is the same as mine i.e. cables so not like the GTA I'm afraid. Could well be something simple as Ewan suggests. Hot and cold differences may be due to a bit of expansion and contraction at either end of the cables, gearbox end would surely provide some heat in that area and at the gear stick end the linkage is inside a tunnel through which the radiator flow and return pipes pass, this definitely get warm in there as warm to touch on the passenger cabin side.
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
User

Martin Guard

Rank

Non Member

Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:08 pm

Bewdley. Worcs.

Postby Martin Guard » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks one and all for your replies. She's up on a ramp this weekend so we'll see.

One other thing worth checking on your 300 is the hidden bolt fastening of the plastic mudguard to the upper chassis rail beside the top damper mount. My nearside one had rusted and pulled through as my fat a*se :Butt descended onto the mudguard, which is an all too convenient seat to use whilst changing a headlight bulb. It rather unnerved me as to what these guards might hide after seeing the pics of the 300 that Lee has for a refurb. But having checked her through with the guards removed, she's as solid as a rock. Phew.This little bolt issue was probably caused by not rustproofing the hole after drilling it through. Its now been very nicely and neatly repaired. :up
A110 Berlinette. Venturi Atlantique 300

• Advertisement