User

AZ _Alpine

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 am

Alpine V6Turbo - advices needed

Postby AZ _Alpine » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:12 am

Hello everybody,
I have some small problems with my Alpine V6 Turbo 1990.
The car is a D501 exported in Japan then reimported in Europe. The car has depollution system and catalysator.
I've bought it at 58.000 km and I reconditioned it very carefully keeping original condition 100%.
I love this car, I have a collection of Renault's but this one is masterpiece:)

Problems which I have:
1. Trip computer
After reset, I drive around 200 km and the display starts blinking, only fuel level and autonomy functions are blinking, other functions no. According with MR, it is a fault of fuel meter from the tank, but I removed, measured and everything seems to be OK, no faults.
Dashboard is new, original Renault, I've changed it and it has 130 km only, I supposed that one to be the reason.
Strange thing is that when the car is stopped and engine works speed indicator is moving from 0 to 30-60 km/h depending on electric devices which are working. When AC is in function the speed goes to 100 km/h but the speed is 0 :newbie
It may be this the fault and trip computer to be confused about the speed.
What do you think, do you have a solution/advice?
When I've bought the car, I've found 3 negative cables in addition to original ones, connecting different devices of the car with car body. I removed them because I wanted to keep the car with original parts only.

2. From time to time, the red fan indicator from dashboard is lightening, even if both cooling fans are working normally and the temperature in the engine room is at normal level. After I drive 2-3 km indicator is of, but I'm worried about this.

3. When I start, engine cold, ambiance temperature, it starts perfect but after 3-5'' engine stops like it has a fueling fault.
If I play with throttle pedal and I keep the engine at 2500 rpm after a little warm up, 30" not more, the engine runs smoothly.
other way around when the engine is warm and I stop it max 2-3', fueling for instance, when I try to start it, it starts very hard, but again, if I play with throttle pedal it starts normally.
It seems to be a fueling fault, but again your opinion and advices are more than welcome.
Injection sensors are checked: air/water/lambda are new OEM. Idle valve cleaned and checked. I tried with another ECU, same OEM but the fault still present. Injection system checked with XR 25 and no faults, pressure in admission system is perfect, no air loses.
Injectors tested on Bosch stand, they work perfect, Compression on each cylinder 10, new sparks and sparkplugs by Denso and NGK .I suppose to be fuel pulsation absorber, what do you think?

Excepting this car runs perfect, it is very powerful, no other problems.
Please help me with your experience.

Kindly appreciate your efforts for reading and answering to this long topic.
Regards,
Adrian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

BobFromNorway

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Alpine V6Turbo - advices needed

Postby BobFromNorway » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:21 am

AZ _Alpine wrote:Hello everybody,
I have some small problems with my Alpine V6 Turbo 1990.

Problems which I have:
1. Trip computer

When I've bought the car, I've found 3 negative cables in addition to original ones, connecting different devices of the car with car body. I removed them because I wanted to keep the car with original parts only.

Did the fault exist before you removed them ? On a plastic car, continuity of -ve is very important, these wires must have been there for a reason, perhaps your wiring loom has issues ?

2. From time to time, the red fan indicator from dashboard is lightening, even if both cooling fans are working normally and the temperature in the engine room is at normal level. After I drive 2-3 km indicator is of, but I'm worried about this.

Mine also does this, but it rarely stays on for long, normally flashes up for a half second then goes out, presumably after the fans start ?

3. When I start, engine cold, ambiance temperature, it starts perfect but after 3-5'' engine stops like it has a fueling fault.
If I play with throttle pedal and I keep the engine at 2500 rpm after a little warm up, 30" not more, the engine runs smoothly.
other way around when the engine is warm and I stop it max 2-3', fueling for instance, when I try to start it, it starts very hard, but again, if I play with throttle pedal it starts normally.
what do you think?

Another thing my car does, I'm pretty certain it is the temperature sender to the ECU which is causing the problem, I have one but haven't gotten around to fitting it.
The car starts perfect but as it starts to warm up it has a short period when it misfires and acts like it will cut out then picks up, once the temperature is at normal level, the car runs fine.
At normal operating temperature it needs about 25-50% throttle to start, always has.
Last edited by BobFromNorway on Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 V6 Twin Turbo
1993 Alfa Romeo 155 V6
1987 Honda VFR 750F
2001 Audi A6 2.5 Allroad daily driver
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:55 am

It's common for the two thermostats that control the fan and the dash light to be reversed, so the fan sensor is the lower one with the higher temperature setting and the warning light is with the lower temperature setting.
This is how its shown in the parts book but if you read the description of the system in the factory workshop manual, it's clear that they should be the other way around so the fans trigger before the warning light.
Check that you have the right values of thermostat and that they are connected to the right circuit. The upper one should be the lower temperature one and connected to the fan circuit. The lower one should the the higher temperature switch and trigger the warning light.
The symptoms you are describing make it sound like they are reversed.
no avatar
User

AZ _Alpine

Rank

Non Member

Postby AZ _Alpine » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:18 am

Hi everybody and thanks for your answers.
1. Trip computer - solved
The fault came from VDO box - it is small ECU for trim computer connected with the fuel level sensor and dashboard.
Inside of it there is a very small part, which was out of service. It is a condensator....i don't know the translation in English.
After I repaired this small ECU, I also solved the problem with speed indicator , it doesn't fluctuate anymore.
For everybody who will have this problem check this VDO box first. It is located behind left front light, or in the front of brake fluid tank.

2. Fan red light
I checked in the workshop manual and it is a common problem, without affecting car functionality.
It doesn't bother me so much, because red light flashes for half second or if it is very warm after 2-3 km lights off

3. Injection faults
I couldn't find the cause of it, but it seems to be a common problem as well.
May be fuel compensation valve situated close to fuel repartition valve...but again, your advices are welcome.

Thanks once again for your answers and stay safe
no avatar
User

AZ _Alpine

Rank

Non Member

Postby AZ _Alpine » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:21 pm

Hello,

I send you an update with my problems and I do this because I think I discover something which is worth to be shared:)
After I thought that the problem with trip computer is solved, I drove the car 200 km and the problem reappeared.
I've checked again VDO box and another electronic parts were out of service.
I've repaired everything, I've installed back the box and....great surprise, injection problem is solved.
When the engine is cold, it starts very smoothly and also when is warm is running perfectly.
No problems anymore with trip computer and speed indicator.

I think that VDO box, ECU for trip computer, was the fault for injection and obviously for trip computer.
Hope this insight will help other Alpine owners from here.

Now my Alpine runs like new... I still have to solve fan red light indicator but it doesn't borrow me so much.

Regards to everybody.
Stay safe and health.

• Advertisement