User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 am

Wet boot new A110

Postby LMS » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:56 am

Hi All,

My rear boot is damp- the boot lid is covered in condensation. I've had the car since 2018 and don't recall this being an issue before. I'd expect some condensation on a cold aluminium panel but there was a lot more than I'd expect
I understand that on another forum (FAR) it has been said that rear window seals have been replaced under warranty (I cant find the post) - just wondering if this would have anything to do with it - the only entry point I can see are the three holes the rear screen screws come through.

Any thoughts/ideas greatfully received

Thanks
Andrew
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Re: Wet boot new A110

Postby LMS » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:15 am

Well I called the dealer and, apparently, my seal was replaced in 2019.

Ian, the Alpine manager, seems to be on furlough though so I doubt there will be any/many sales out of Manchester for the foreseeable future - He is a great guy and very helpful. Suppose it makes sense as sports car purchases are not really vital despite what we tell ourselves

-only adding this info as my email to him bounced back a few days ago and I had left a voicemail that wasn’t replied to so I thought he’d moved on. This is explains the radio silence.
User

JonT

Rank

Non Member

Thu May 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Postby JonT » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:20 am

What about the boot carpet, is that damp/wet too?
Where's the car kept overnight? (ie driveway or garage?).

One test to see if its the seals would be to use some talcum powder around the holes, then use a hose on the rear screen and see if any of the talc gets disturbed.

To help dry it out, you could buy a water absorber (eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/KONTROL-CARAVA ... B00354PZGM ) and leave it in the boot to help reduce the moisture (not a long term solution, but reduces the chance of any of the boot carpet going mouldy)
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Postby LMS » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:55 am

Thanks JonT
Car is kept on driveway.
Boot carpet seems damp - not soaking.
I’ve put a dehumidifier sack in there and have taken to leaving boot open after a run so that the heat and warm, moist air can escape.
I’ll have a go with the talc as you suggest- need o find some!
User

JonT

Rank

Non Member

Thu May 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Postby JonT » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:19 am

The weather at the moment doesn't seem to be helping - there was a similar thread on SELOC recently with someone commenting on the amount of condensation on their engine even in the garage.
no avatar
User

S111DPC

Rank

Non Member

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Postby S111DPC » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:18 pm

There’s also a thread on Pistonheads about a similar issue an owner has. Another owner mentioned that there is a revised seal for the rear window, not sure if this helps but thought I’d share.
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Postby LMS » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:37 am

Many thanks -apparently I have the new seal...
no avatar
User

MikeA37

Rank

Non Member

Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:04 pm

Postby MikeA37 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:15 pm

Could this be a case of condensate from inside the rear window (I seem to get lots, and it takes ages to clear!) running down inside the car and into the boot? If so, any seals to the outside may not be the problem.
I have not looked at this on my A110, but may be worth looking to see if this is even possible?
Just a thought...........
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Postby LMS » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:41 pm

just to update you all- the carpet and sound deadening material on the boot floor didn't seem wet but i took them out anyway. They were actually very wet. Took them into the house to dry off.
The boot floor has remained dry but there is still condensation on boot lid- admittedly less than there was. I have been leaving the boot open for a bit after a drive to allow any hot moist air to escape.
I havent removed the carpeting on the sides of the boot - again it doesn't seem damp but might be...

Now have another issue - a clip on the top of the windscreen wiper which holds the blade in has fallen off during a drive. As my alpine contact is on furlough I used the online contact form to report the issue to the dealer (I had reported it prior to the last service in August as the clip was loose) on Friday but I've heard nothing - I've emailed someone else at the dealer today so I'll give them a call tomorrow if I hear nothing...
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:21 am

If you have the new seal then also check that any drain holes if present aren’t blocked and if not consider making one by removing a small runner bump or grommet if possible.

Check the boot alignment too. Sometime they can be very slightly high on one side compromising the seal.

I’d want proof the new revised seal has been fitted if its an earlier car. They should have a record of the fabrication number where the seal was revised.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Cochrane

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 20, 2016 8:09 pm

Postby Cochrane » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:36 pm

There is a known solution for water ingress into the boot.
Your dealer should be able able to complete it and stop the ingress. 2 possible area, they would need to remove the boot trims and water test.
Depending what they find they would a certain part of the solution, or probably apply both parts as prevent further possible issues.
As already said though, lift the rear glass and just check the drain holes are clear as well.

Regarding the screen seal, this is not always replaced, as it depend on how far along its detached. You would clean it repair it and this is usually fine.
I normally spot them as part of the service when it’s In.
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Postby LMS » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:38 am

Dear Cochrane,

My dealer is 4 hours away and they are, understandably, not taking bookings during lockdown.

I'm not having a great deal of luck contacting them either ( I emailed them in respect of the top of the windscreen wiper coming out and flying off during a drive) so this isn't going to be fixed anytime soon.

Please could you let me know what the fixes are so that I can try to undertake them myself - car is obviously still under warranty but that's no use at the moment.

Many thanks
Andrew
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Postby LMS » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:59 pm

The tech at my dealer very kindly called me back but has said the only fix he is aware of is removing the wheel arch liner and putting more sealant on the outside of the boot- sounds as though that is for a leak from wheel spray rather than from sitting around in wet weather but perhaps it’s the same fix. I’ll keep on mopping the boot out and see if I can get to the bottom of it.
no avatar
User

nyc863

Rank

Non Member

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 am

Postby nyc863 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:14 am

regarding the clip on the end of the wiper - mine had already come off or vanished when almost new. I only noticed because the rubber wiper started to inch out the first time I used the wiper.

At service I pointed out that it either fell off from new or was delivered off, and they covered it. They had to replace the whole wiper as apparently you cannot just buy the simple plastic clip alone from anyone also they have an "A" on them so even if another Renault used the same part it wouldn't be right.

• Advertisement