User

nyc863

Rank

Non Member

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 am

a110 stop start solution

Postby nyc863 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:17 am

i think anyone can agree stop start sucks in the a110
it does not save any fuel as it cant sustain a long stop at least not with ac etc and the start function is unrefined.

turns out if you start the car with the piano button depressed stop start is deactivated..

lacking the tool or technique to pull the trim off
and wire it that way I realized a little bit of folded card will maintain that piano button down.
Voila, no more stop start.
User

JonT

Rank

Non Member

Thu May 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Re: a110 stop start solution

Postby JonT » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:15 am

When you say "deactivated" do you mean indefinitely? If so, that sounds like an excellent option. Even with the car running, it just takes a single press to deactivate it. The card solution sounds quite elegant too :D
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Postby bcr5784 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:32 pm

I know many people dislike stop start on this and other cars, but personally I don't mind it in principle. When mine operates it restarts fine. The problem I have is that unless I have gone a loooong way it doesn't operate because there isn't enough charge in the battery (or the car thinks there isn't). So the sort of fuel savings might get in around town driving rarely materialise.
User

JonT

Rank

Non Member

Thu May 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Postby JonT » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:47 pm

bcr5784 wrote:I know many people dislike stop start on this and other cars, but personally I don't mind it in principle. When mine operates it restarts fine. The problem I have is that unless I have gone a loooong way it doesn't operate because there isn't enough charge in the battery (or the car thinks there isn't). So the sort of fuel savings might get in around town driving rarely materialise.

At traffic lights (or level crossings), I agree in principle it's not a bad idea. At roundabouts and other junctions, it's bloody lethal. I've had the car cut out just as I want to go. If you're expecting to use some of the performance of the car to fit into a gap, that's just dangerous. In a manual you can manage it by holding the clutch down for a second or two, but you can't do that in an auto.
User

cloudburst

Rank

Non Member

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Northern Ireland

Postby cloudburst » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:27 pm

To the OP, I’m confused.

Reading your post, it seems you’re suggesting that (over and above simply pressing the piano key whilst driving), there is some added benefit in holding down the piano key whilst starting the car. And that can really only mean that the stop/start “disabled” state is persisted indefinitely.

Is this the case? If so, then what’s the benefit of the folded cardboard?

Or... do you just mean that the folded card trick doesn’t screw things up whilst starting the car? If so, then I get you..... neat!

CB
Renault 5 Turbo2 (previously) - met. brown
Renaultsport Clio V5 255 (previously) - met. red
Alpine A110 Première Édition - met. blue
no avatar
User

nyc863

Rank

Non Member

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 am

Postby nyc863 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:23 pm

sorry for the confusion.

To be clearer. the folded bit of cardboard holds the key down. I just leave it there. Later on I'll pull the dash and short it to achieve the same effect without a visible bit of card.

When you get in and start the car the stop/start is deactivated as if you pressed it once.

that's it, that's the hack.

I can't tell you how much I hate this stop start system. I've had then before on Mercedes and Passat, and both were less than ideal even though more recent cars have improved them further, but this one is worse not the least because it just doesn't stay off for very long. YMMV, but I bet at night (headlights) or with AC on (half the year for me) you don't get more than 20 seconds of stop out of it.

It also is unrefined when it starts especially if you catch it wrong. Like it stops right when you need it to start again.

PS: Why not drive in sport mode (which has no stop start)? that is fine if you drive in the country but sport mode in city traffic is not refined (that word again). The gearbox is too eager, it isn't smooth from 1st to neutral and back to 1st.
So I always drive default drive mode in the city.
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 am

Postby LMS » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:47 am

Ah, you answered the question I was about to ask - why not drive in Sport mode - I get in, curse the stereo for starting on an AM station or aux even if I've been listening to SD or iphone and then hit the sport button. Normal seems sluggish in comparison but, I admit, I've not driven in "proper" traffic with it albeit it seems fine in traffic jams on motorways.

• Advertisement