User

2001f4s

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:02 pm

Chicago IL

New member and new to me car

Postby 2001f4s » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:29 am

I have just completed the purchase on a 1989/1992 GTA Turbo here in The States. A former Japan car. I have not even had the car delivered, but I am excited, and have been reviewing many of the posts here.

Was wondering about availability of an electronic service manual for the car.

Also hoping to find an original radio setup for the car. I don't know if these are unobtanium these days.

I look forward to learning about these cars, as there are almost none of these cars in the states.

Thanks for looking.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: New member and new to me car

Postby mettersl » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:29 am

Welcome,
I dont know about an electronic format manual, the ones I have are in French, but I have a spare paper one that is in English, its for a slightly earlier car, but covers the Turbo. Happy to investigate postage if you PM me a postcode, I dont want much for it...
The biggest differences are in the wiring and there are two major Turbo engine types (single or twin fuel regulators shows the difference), but Japanese versions are a bit different in fuelling (Usually have a cat and lambda, not fitted to European Turbos until right at the end of the run and seem to be differently arranged).
The manual set comes in a number of parts.
mechanical, bodywork(these are what I have as spare), wiring manual (this is year specific, 89/92 would be possibly two versions, a picture of the makes plate can help work out which), injection manual, engine (more a rebuild manual) , gearbox (rebuild again) , parts book, technical notes.
I think the radio is partly shared with an Espace and there are two versions (again), you'll have to wait until you get lucky on here, ebay or the French forums.
Although these have a "difficult, french" reputation, they are not that complex and buying from japan, rust wont be an issue from you (they don't use salt on the roads). Most of the regular running gear is shared with other Renaults so looking after them is not that hard, and the hard to get parts are being remanufactured. Its a good time to be a GTA owner from that perspective.
When you get it, some pictures would be great, but you'll get plenty of help on here.
Lee
Last edited by mettersl on Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

2001f4s

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:02 pm

Chicago IL

Re: New member and new to me car

Postby 2001f4s » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:31 pm

Thanks for the input Mettersl, and I would definitely be interested in your manual. I am excited to get the car and start maintaining it. Seems to run and drive from what I understand. I did have it inspected, and sounds pretty solid. This was a car that was listed on Cars&bids here in the states, but did not meet it's reserve. https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KVyDa4DM/1992-renault-alpine-gta-turbo The seller was able to come up with some further documentation the supports a low (17,400) mileage, so seems like a pretty solid purchase, fingers crossed. I will start looking for the radio in the locations you recommended. Thanks again. Scott

• Advertisement