User

2001f4s

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:02 pm

Chicago IL

Alpine GTA Window Motor Removal

Postby 2001f4s » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:47 pm

Hoping to find some assistance with this. My driver's door window goes about 1/2 way down and then starts making a clacking sound. To raise the window I have to pull it up a few inches and then it will travel on it's own. I am following the instructions in the manual on how to remove the motor, but it is not very clear. I was hoping that someone here might be able to give me some direction on the window motor removal. I am trying to figure out how it removes from the window lifting mechanism.
Thanks for any assstance.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: Alpine GTA Window Motor Removal

Postby mettersl » Sun May 01, 2022 6:50 pm

Its not a quick job, but the fault you describe sounds like a worn cable and new ones are available...in Germany anyway.
Its been a few years since I did my GTA, this is what I remeber.

You need to remove the door card...that means starting with the internal door switch and the door handle...note the colours of the wires to the door switch. Then the door card lifts off once you have removed the 10-15 torq (feel like that anyway) screws holding it in. IIRC the speaker is mounted in the door and there may be screws behind the end of door grilles
Then you need to remove the plastic moisture covers (largest one anyway) , lower the window so you can unbolt the glass from the mechanism, then unbolt the mechanism and detach its power cables. Its a good idea to push the glass up to the top at this point and hold it there (masking tape should do it).
The motor unbolts and the mechanism unclips and you will have to work out how to get it out of the holes in the door, you need to rotate it IIRC and it will take a while to work out which way it comes out.
The motor unbolts from the mechanism, and I think you will then need to replace the cable. Its a flocked type.
This mechanism is from are 25 but the sides are swapped, similar age Renaults will have similar parts that can be adapted (master van,19 or 21). I guess in the USA that might be harder. to source.
Let us know how you get on, I have exactly the same job to do on my 610.
no avatar
User

2001f4s

Rank

Non Member

Chicago IL

Postby 2001f4s » Sun May 01, 2022 11:00 pm

Lee, thank you for the detailed response. I was able to get the door panel off, the window track mechanism and motor unbolted from the door, and the window disconnected from the mechanism, but that is where it ended. I cannot see any bolts that connect the cable mechanism to the motor. Using a mirror it looks like the circular cable connection is clipped into the motor with a circular plastic clip. I tried to pry it open, but was concerned about damaging the fixing points, so I wasn't able to work it off. Meantime I am needing to move the car, so I buttoned everything back up, and will need to revisit once it gets warmer here in Chicago. Still Winter, like, despite the calendar indicating it is May 1.

I appreciate the insight on the matter. I'll let you know what I learn once I move forward.
Scott
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Wed May 04, 2022 7:36 am

Hi, its a tough job...
You have to remove the window mechanism and motor as one assembly and put it back the opposite way. This is why the vertical guide needs to be detached and the plastic tube unclipped. The motor clips in IIRC.

You need to bend the plastic tube a bit to get it out and from memory the whole mechanism needs rotating until you can get one end out though the gap.
Its possible the glass needs to come out too, but I dont think so.
If you PM me your email address, I'll send you the parts book and maybe the GTA workshop manual if I can find it.
The mechanism will need cleaning and lubing , the motors benefit from maintenance (and then resealing) and you may need a new flocked cable.

GTA 610 window mechanism .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Irish GTA

Rank

Non Member

Tue May 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Postby Irish GTA » Wed May 04, 2022 2:53 pm

I also removed the window wiper mechanism a few years ago. The method is as described. I did not have to remove the glass. The reason the mechanism failed on mine was due to condensation travelling down to the lowest point in the tube where the toothed rack and pinion cable rusted. This meant the teeth did not contact the gear on the electric motor shaft and the window stopped. Manually helping the glass up re-engaged with good teeth on the flexible rack. The window wound back up.
At the time I could not source a replacement rack, so the window only winds down about 10 centimetres.
no avatar
User

2001f4s

Rank

Non Member

Chicago IL

Postby 2001f4s » Thu May 05, 2022 3:30 am

Thanks IrishGTA. This sounds somewhat similar to my issue. My window winds down about halfway and then the motor drive and mechanism starts making a clacking sound. It could very well be rusted like yours. I am on the hunt for a new mechanism, and if I have any luck, I will post it here. Thanks again, Scott
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Thu May 05, 2022 7:17 am

Hi Scott,
Mechanism is ren 25 but they swap sides, but new flocked cable (the inner part) will probably be all you need, its basically a slotted tube and a cable
Renault master van of similar vintage can be adapted to fit or there is a supplier of Flocked cables in the UK if a kit can't be found. I'd expect that there will be suppliers in the USA too.

PS those links in the PM expire on Monday!
no avatar
User

2001f4s

Rank

Non Member

Chicago IL

Postby 2001f4s » Fri May 06, 2022 5:29 pm

Thanks Lee. Got the downloads. I also appreciate the information on options for parts.

• Advertisement