no avatar
User

legomiser1

Rank

Non Member

Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:35 pm

Engine Bay Blower Motor

Postby legomiser1 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:24 pm

Does anyone know if the blower motor in the engine bay of an 88 GTA runs all the time with the ignition on or only part-time?
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: Engine Bay Blower Motor

Postby mettersl » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:08 am

It depends...
If its running, you are lucky, if it's quiet, luckier still...
The Atmo has one, its controlled by a thermostat on the heat shield of the left side cylinder bank.
The Turbo has two, the one for the Turbo (left rear wheel arch) runs all the time, but the engine bay cooling fan (rhs) is controlled by a thermostat up by the turbo, it should be the top one, the lower thermostat turns on the engine bay hot light, however due to an error in the parts book they are sometimes reversed.
I believe earlier GTA turbos have a more complicated system where the fan has two speeds, and a sump thermostat is also involved. What year and model is your car?
no avatar
User

legomiser1

Rank

Non Member

Postby legomiser1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:01 pm

I see that makes a lot of sense. long story short I have an 88 Turbo and I am swapping the engine as this one didn't have one when I got it. So I took both of the blowers out and was hoping to use the power from one of them for my remote-mounted electric water pump. From what it sounds like the left blower would be a good source for that power.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:52 am

I'm sorry, I've got home and dug out the wiring diagram...BOTH fans run from the thermostat on a GTA Turbo. My bad.

Could you not use the power feed to the ignition coil? Thats ignition switch controlled? The battery main cable has a joint box on the RHS wheel arch if you are looking for a power feed.
no avatar
User

legomiser1

Rank

Non Member

Postby legomiser1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:24 pm

Oh, that's a good point I didn't even think about the coil feed. I will take a look at that and see if that will work. Thank you!
no avatar
User

legomiser1

Rank

Non Member

Postby legomiser1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:26 pm

Actually, one last thing I have the pdf for the wiring diagrams in french any chance there is a source for these ones in English?
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:37 am

I'm not aware of a scan of the diagrams in English, but I do have a pdf of the index pages (list of components ) in English. If you PM me your email, I'll send you that, it saves me a lot of time as I have one GTA (1988 I think) electrical manual in French.

• Advertisement