Irish GTA

Rank

Non Member

Tue May 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

GTA Turbo crank speed/position sensor horror

Postby Irish GTA » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:17 pm

P1190328.JPG
My car stopped 2km from home recently. It cranked over fine but wouldn't start. After recovery, I started checking for sparks and fuel delivery. The engine burst into life ... for 4 minutes, then stopped. Since everything worked some of the time and the fuel filters were quite new, suspicion fell on the crankshaft speed & position sensor. It is a bit awkward to remove.
Results showed the red fireproof silicon coated glass cloth sleeve over the sensor cable was burnt black and there was a hole forming near the closest point to the manifold pipe leading to the turbo.
After it was cut open I could see the cable insulation had melted through to the bare wires. These shorted and stopped the car.
P1190327.JPG

The sensor works, has 240 Ohms resistance and still works when placed in hot water. The connector end is OK too. So I spliced in a new section of wires as a twisted pair. These will be covered and sheathed in heatproof jacket - 20 mm fits over the connector, from Merlin Motersport. I ordered a new sensor, but have a working spare.
Check the routing is as far away from the exhaust as possible. I don't think the route was correct on my car. Take a look and check!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

west sussex

Re: GTA Turbo crank speed/position sensor horror

Postby miles thomas » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:50 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post this Nigel very good to know :up
Spider,Clio Tce,C4 Cactus, 1967 DS.
no avatar
User

Irish GTA

Rank

Non Member

Tue May 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Re: GTA Turbo crank speed/position sensor horror

Postby Irish GTA » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:47 pm

Subsequent update. I fitted the new crank sensor for a Renault 25 with heatshielding added, but the car still did not start. I thought maybe to try the repaired old one again, but that didn't work either.
So the root cause of the car breakdown was something else! No sparks, no fuel. I listened carefully as the ignition was turned from off to the position just before the starter engages. Normally the high pressure fuel pump hums until it is primed, then the fuel pump relay clicks and ignition is also set to go. On this occasion there was no hum and click. I pulled off the two relays under the computer between the rear seats and swappped them. The car ran sweetly. So, there was oxidation corrosion of the relay terminals. Re-making the connection was enough to clean off the oxidation. I added silicone terminal grease.
Lack of use for a few weeks in winter with humid conditions even in a dry garage is enough to stop any car working.
I am glad I found the crank sensor wire burn through though as that had only a limited time left before it failed completely. It is very awkward to reach and see what you are doing at the same time.
I found a bike LED headlamp with a rubber strap which clips around handlebars was also perfect to clip onto the round bar at the inner lower suspension wishbone pivot. Without a very bright light aimed just so, would make the task 10 times harder. All happy now!

• Advertisement