User

Jonty

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:04 pm

Thurlow, Suffolk

ABS Fault

Postby Jonty » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:08 pm

I'm a relatively new owner of a GTA V6 Turbo. When I purchased the car I had no idea it had ABS!

Upon giving the car a thorough cleaning inside and out I found that there was a piece of black tape covering the ABS light. Lo and behold, with ignition on the light comes on and stays on!

So far, I've only just had a glance at the toothed wheels which all seem a tad rusty and the sensors do appear to be dirty also. These will all need cleaning.

Under the bonnet, the white ABS relay does click when the ignition comes on but I don't hear the pump in the osf wheel arch do anything.

So my question is - is there an ABS supplement to the workshop manual? The manual I have makes no reference to the abs system. I need to get my multimeter out and take some readings but need to know where to poke it!

Can anyone help?

Jon
1989 GTA V6 Turbo - leather, abs
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: ABS Fault

Postby mettersl » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:12 am

Yes, there is an abs supplement to the manual. The system is Bosch 5.1 and is an early design with no automated diagnostics, its not unusual for them not to work. I’ll have a look and see if I have a scan of it, others on here might have a pdf too….anyone?
The system major parts are shared with the 610 and it has a separate loom that plugs into the main loom by the right headlight.
I’d start with wiring faults as well as reluctor rings and sensors and their earthing.
Good luck.
Lee
no avatar
User

Jonty

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:04 pm

Thurlow, Suffolk

Postby Jonty » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:25 pm

Lee,

Thanks for that. I've tried searching for Bosch 5.1 but, alas, no luck finding anything useful yet. I think my first port of call will be trying to remove the plastic cover from around the pump and assess the electrical connections there. It seems the location will allow the unit to get very damp.
1989 GTA V6 Turbo - leather, abs
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:42 pm

On my first 610, the wiring seemed fine I could see pulses on all the abs sensors, it passes the self test (there are relays under that cover) but it still didn't work...
Good luck.
If you PM me your email, if I find the ABS supplement scan, I'll send it to you.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:27 pm

Clean up all the ring gear first and all the sensors and check the wiring, the pump may have seized or the computer may be dead.I should have a spare ECU somewhere
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart

• Advertisement