GTA Turbo draining & refilling coolant??

Renault & Alpine General Discussion

Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

GTA Turbo draining & refilling coolant??

Postby phildini » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:04 am

:roll: Can anyone please tell me the best way to drain and refill the coolant on a GTA TURBO?? please I need to do it pretty soon and i dont want to get myself stuck.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:46 pm

If no one else can help, my car is arriving tommorrow and its coming with workshop manuals, so I will look it up, as I intend to do likewise with mine.
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:53 pm

I did it a long time ago.... seem to remember taking off the plastic bottom cover under the front of the car to expose (amongst other things) the pipes running to the front. you can disconnect the rubber hose from one of the pipes under the floor leading to the rad and then drain it. Then just fill it and flush as often as you can bear... the botch is (although you probably know this already) that both the in and out pipe to the rad are half way up each side, which makes clearing the sludge from the bottom of the rad nigh on impossible without removing the rad.... which is a bit of a mare.
Then when you fill it up look for a rubber bleed off pipe on the rad on the off aside top corner which you need to bleed off the air through to enable the rad to fill up....
Enjoy
no avatar
User

GTA Torbo Draining & Refilling with Coolant

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:57 am

Third response today,
I've drained and refilled the coolant on my GTA Turbo a number of times.
Easiest way is to remove the front radiator hose clip on the radiator end on the nearside ( cold/cool engine!) I can easily do this by lying at the side of the car then remove the expansion tank cap and flush the system through. To do this throughly you really need to remove the thermostat although this can be a bit of a pain.

Refilling replace front hose and tighten securely and start to fill expansion bottle with the recommended mix of water/anti freeze-summer coolant.
There are two points to bleed the system,
1) There is a hose with a bleed valve located on the top right hand side of the radiator.
The first time I tried to bleed this I couldnt get any water out let alone air as it was blocked with crud. Solution I pushed a thin fibreglass rod that I had to hand ( from an old kite of my sons) up the pipe and hey presto water and air came out. The guy I bought my car off only used it on sunny days & Sundays and it hadnt been drained in years and so I guess that the deposits had gradually built up in the bleed tube efectively blocking it.

2) The second bleed point is on the thermostst housing. This is a standard bleed valve that takes a 10mm ? spanner to undo.

Once you've filled and bled the systen I find that it's best to go for a run, let the engine cool down bleed the system of any air remaining and top up the expansion tank.Soerted.
Regards, Barry.
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:17 pm

Yup, my bleed off pipe was well blocked too.... with Rad-weld! Used a bit of strimmer plastic stuff to clear it out.

• Advertisement