User

gt5

Rank

Non Member

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:35 pm

york

engine mounts

Postby gt5 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:26 pm

are engine mounts a weakness on the gta?not that mine are knackered because ive not done many miles int since i bought it :cry: just wondering how much abuse they can take eg:standing starts etc
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:37 pm

It's 20 years old :lol: :lol: You might find they are knackered anyway :shock: One of mine was ,and PG's ............
User

gt5

Rank

Non Member

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:35 pm

york

Postby gt5 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:40 pm

my engine mounts are fairly new :)
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Re: engine mounts

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:45 pm

gt5 wrote:are engine mounts a weakness on the gta?not that mine are knackered because ive not done many miles int since i bought it :cry: just wondering how much abuse they can take eg:standing starts etc

They'll be fine for that. Its not like a FWD car where the whole engine/box assebly 'twists' on the axis of the driveshafts. As the box on the GTA has a mount, there is no way the engine can move back or forward really enough to cause any problems on launching...
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:16 pm

That is true for the gb mount if it were to fail, but for the engine mounts I think the engine is more likely to twist from side to side really. It is action and reaction to the directional output shaft to the gearbox that would cause it.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:54 pm

David Gentleman wrote:
gt5 wrote:are engine mounts a weakness on the gta?not that mine are knackered because ive not done many miles int since i bought it :cry: just wondering how much abuse they can take eg:standing starts etc

They'll be fine for that. Its not like a FWD car where the whole engine/box assebly 'twists' on the axis of the driveshafts. As the box on the GTA has a mount, there is no way the engine can move back or forward really enough to cause any problems on launching...

:lol: your wrong DG!

i broke all 3 mounts, in one go, with a standing start in the atmo GTA 8)
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:25 pm

It's a rear engined car with 255 tyres, so traction similar to a 4wd but through two driveshafts only. Do the maths :lol:

Read any car magazine article where they're admitting what it takes to get 0-60s and you always get the same thing - 4wd and 911s are great for traction and standing starts but always the most nerve-wracking coz' of the strain they put on components.

Martin Brundle 'granny start' anyone?
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

Stunned Monkey

Rank

Non Member

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:24 am

Nr Chippenham, Wiltshire

Postby Stunned Monkey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 pm

David Gentleman wrote:

Erk - I've watched the asthmatic lump that is a DeLorean engine climb up the engine bay so high the gearbox hits the underbody on a launch - because of a failed mount. And essentially, the mounts are identical to yours. DeLorean gearbox mounts are a more common casualty such that replacements are tricky to find now. The single GTA one is much better than the DeLorean's two.
Martin - PRV Tinkerererer
www.delorean.co.uk
no avatar
User

RedGTA

Rank

Non Member

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Postby RedGTA » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread - does anyone have a pair of Alpine GTA engine mounts for sale or know where I can get them?

Thanks,
John
User

chris

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:31 am

Melbourne , Australia

Postby chris » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 am

I believe they are the same as R25 V6 mounts and the gbox mount is the same as one of the vans maybe traffic ,I have broken the engine mounts too and as a temporary fix i used a loctite glue and re bonded the old rubber and it actually lasted about a year before the new one came in without breaking.
no avatar
User

RedGTA

Rank

Non Member

Postby RedGTA » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi all,

Still in need of a pair of engine mounts!

Does anyone have a set for sale? Car can't be driven without them!

Thanks,
John
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:46 pm

If all else fails, I'd guess Simon and Mecaparts would have them.
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:44 pm

Membership status sometimes generates a more positive reply.
Either join up or nag the membership sec to update your forum status.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

RedGTA

Rank

Non Member

Postby RedGTA » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:12 am

Well that was predictable. :D

Simon - by a quick search, you have made at least 66 posts on this forum where instead of trying to assist someone by responding to their question, you have instead simply queried their membership status.

Why is membership a prerequisite to helping someone out? It's a very odd position to take in my opinion, and to be honest is very off-putting.

When I first joined this forum I was under a lot of time pressure with a project I was working on and needed some advice on removal of the driveshafts - I hadn't even thought of applying for membership as my experience with all other marques I have been involved with is that people are generally happy to share knowledge and help each other out for free.

For what it's worth, it has nothing to do with the money. I am involved with another car club in Ireland, and have paid the club website and forum hosting fees since 2004 out of my own pocket, and am happy to do so - no-one pays membership fees in our club as we are all there to help each other for free as best we can.

I've no issue with paying membership fees here but the way in which it was brought to my attention by you a few months back quite frankly put me off - I guess I found your reply rude.

If paying 25 pounds has to be done to source a pair of engine mounts - fine, but I think the club would be better served in the long run trying to foster a friendlier and more helpful attitude to newbies - that's my opinion for what it is worth.

Can you at least confirm you do have a pair of engine mounts for sale before I send you 25 pounds? I'll likely be unimpressed if I spend 25 pounds and be no better off!

Regards,
John
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:06 am

Alpineandy wrote:If all else fails, I'd guess Simon and Mecaparts would have them.

/\ /\ There is some free advice for you :D Have you actually tried Simon Auto? He is bob on and usually has all parts on the shelf ready to ship to the UK within 3 days.

I take it Renault don't have any then?

I sold my last pair of engine mounts to Richard (simonsays74) who is based over in Belfast, maybe he can help failing Renault or Simon Auto.

Don't worry about our resident "Membership Police" he is only trying to protect the clubs interests, maybe he needs to be less heavy on newbies until they have had 50 posts or so before we let him off the leash :wink:
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
Next

• Advertisement