quick help with a silly problem oil levels?

Renault & Alpine General Discussion

Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

mikegta

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:27 am

Bristol way

quick help with a silly problem oil levels?

Postby mikegta » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:42 pm

Hi

Well just when I thought I coudn't cockerel up the simplist of jobs.

Checking the dipstick level I can't really get a clear level. I thought it was due to the bendy nature of the pipe. Now I've put about a litre in I'm thinking I've over filled.

The oil line seems to go diagonally up extending 2cm above max, yet at the min level there seems a slightly thicker line of oil. Am I just bonkers, and if I've over filled this much I guess I'll have to start draining it out.

Cheers
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Oil level

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:55 pm

Mike,

You've probably just rubbed a bit of oil up the dipstick pipe taking it in and out, I often get the same affect when I add a little to mine. I very much doubt you've overfilled with just a 1 litre top up - its a very big sump.

My advice is leave it to rest a few hours, or check tomorrow morning. By then the oil will have run back and settled to its true level and you'll probably get a spot-on reading.
no avatar
User

mikegta

Rank

Non Member

Bristol way

Postby mikegta » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:06 pm

Hi Darren,

Thanks for replying. I know it sounds like basic, obvious stuff.

I checked it after turning it over the next day and there was a distinct level but it was way over the max. Took some out and is now on max.

Is it at all possible the new oil was hardly visible being clear, surely it would mix with the old oil. Anyway all I know is since turning over I got a distinct level and it was way over.

Cheers
no avatar
User

mikegta

Rank

Non Member

Bristol way

low oil pressure at hot idle

Postby mikegta » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:26 pm

There may be more to it.

Pretty sure it's on max level. On power up idles at 2bar. Blip it and it goes to three.

When hot and idleing the guage is either 0 bar and wanders around quite often into the orange zone. When the fan kicks in it seems especially to drop?

Also my oil level guage has never worked, ever, not a flicker.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Crazy but true

Postby stephendell » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:04 pm

The oil level gauge only works momentarily when you first turn on the ignition.

Have you had a new dipstick or tube at any point, this is common as they rot on the GTA.

There is a known problem where for a while the new dipsticks supplied were the wrong length compared to the original. Both the tube and the sticks came in a variety of lengths and are different for atmos and turbos. They needed to be cut down with a tube cutter and the end flared with a brake pipe tool.

There are many wrong combinations i.e. old stick new tube, new stick old tube etc. This can result in the dipstick only reading minimum when the engine is full. The only sure way to check is to refill an empty engine (with a new oil filter) with the correct amount of oil (already measured out) and see where the dipstick reads.
no avatar
User

mikegta

Rank

Non Member

Bristol way

Postby mikegta » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:16 pm

Hi Stephen,

Must admit the pipe especially looks newer than surrounding components.

I'll start from scratch, although I know the sump plug won't budge and I think someone in the past has had to use a punch. May get the local Renault dealer to sweat over that.

Cheers

Mike

• Advertisement