pgoldsmith

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

West Moors, Dorset

Handbrake

Postby pgoldsmith » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:55 am

Has anyone had experience of the handbrake not self adjusting and what steps can be taken to remedy this?

I’ve replaced both rear callipers (lhs last year, rhs this year) and yet the handbrake has progressively got worst by requiring more and more notches to be used before it has any effect. I’ve adjusted it once before but it now looks as though I’m going to run out of adjusting thread on the threaded bolt.

Any one have any ideas ? :(
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:55 am

Most of the time I don't use the handbrake because I'm lead to beleive that the calipers can become problematic and seize up. I have a wooden battern on the floor of the garage that I drive over as well as a 4"x2" timber that I drive up to, this leaves a wheel choked so the car won't roll and it's in the right place and the hand brake has been fine so far.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:49 pm

Have you downloaded the section of the workshop manual from the main site which explains the proceedure for adjusting the handbrake at the lever?
User

pgoldsmith

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

West Moors, Dorset

Postby pgoldsmith » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:55 pm

I've got a workshop manual and does mentioned that the handbrake should not be adjusted under normal conditions but only when a calliper has been replaced.

The callipers should be self adjusting but I fear mine are not for some reason.
I wouldnt normally worry too much however I have an MOT tomorrow and I know it will fail if the handbrake is not working effectively.
no avatar
User

dermotj

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 10, 2004 10:43 am

Postby dermotj » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:10 pm

replaced handbrake cables , rebuilt calipers and replaced pads and even then had very little of the threaded bolt left - and I didn't need to go the 10 notches you are supposed too in travel. It works well but I really wondered were the handbrake cables incorrectly made as they were very short perhaps you have the same problem?
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:49 pm

The current replacement handbrake cables are indeed too short and need extending to work properly. 'Old Stock' cables are fine.

Andrew Jones 'turbodog' has experience of this and may be able to help if you send him a message.

Anyone who hase used Citroen calipers at the rear will also have problems. The operating lever is the wrong length. Also many seem to have been assembled incorrectly (wrong shims) and the self adjusting mechanism dose not work as a result.

• Advertisement