User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

CORRODED WATER PIPES

Postby simonsays74 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:26 pm

I was having a look to-day at Liam McShanes car for a coolant leak, one of the main front to rear metal water pipes has rotted through at the front of the car. The hole in the pipe is up in the tunnel so access is very limited. Has anyone had the pleasure of changing these pipes before or know of an alternative repair. To change the pipes it looks like everything at the rear of the car must be removed, is this correct? The car is a turbo model and has therefore limited room to position copper pipes without removing the old pipes.
:cry:
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:37 pm

Oh dear! According to the manual its an engine out job to replace them....I say them, in that whilst its all in bits it would be better to replace both. The pipes cost about £150-170 each!!!!!!! Maybe someone else can come up with a solution......surely there must be a way of replacing metal with plastic or rubber????
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:36 pm

I know of someone with a Ferrari 308 and he had to replace some heath robinson sounding set up of about 4 ali pipes and rubber connecting pipes between the rear engine and front rad, times 2 (flow and return). He replaced it with a a silocone tube I think. I'll get his supplier's details, he just needed straight lengths, no bends at the ends.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

dermotj

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 10, 2004 10:43 am

Postby dermotj » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:56 pm

richard

because of the crank in the pipes at the engine end its basically an engine out job - as far as i know they are available even if its with simons in germany - they are fairly robust in my experience unless the car gets a bang and they get a kink - so not worth really spending a lot more on long lasting replacements unless you plan to keep the car more than 15 years!
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:35 pm

Definately engine out to replace completely and properly.

Otherwise if the damage is isolated you can 'peel back' or cut out the covering chassis plate section, cut out the rotten section and add a new piece of pipe with a joining hose. Then weld or pop rivet the chassis plate back in.

Alternatively you can crush and bend the original pipes to remove them with the engine in place and feed replacements back in sections like a chimney sweeps brush (preferably in stainless steel with silicone joints).

Also I can't see any reason why you couldn't replace the whole length with silicone hose although this would be expensive.
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:44 pm

thanks stephen, maybe the silicon route would work best. if i cut off the bend at the engine end i take it that i could bring out the straight section of pipe through the front or the rear of the car, knowing that it has to be 'crushed' to bring it out?
no avatar
User

dermotj

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 10, 2004 10:43 am

Postby dermotj » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:31 am

for god's sake richard its only 6 bolts to drop the engine out - are you loosing your nerve!
User

LiamMcShane

Rank

Non Member

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:39 pm

Shenzhen, China

Postby LiamMcShane » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:38 am

:( :cry:
'88 GTA V6 Turbo

http://www.perfect-display.com.cn
Perfect Display Technology Company Ltd, Shenzhen

• Advertisement