User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Replacing turbo

Postby Juzzblack » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:12 pm

Hs anyone had experience of replacing the turbo on their GTA themselves. Is it a difficult job? Does a new turbo basically just bolt back on, or do things like the boost pressure regulator have to be reset/adjusted for the new turbo? Or can this be left alone?

Bearing in mind I've replaced the water pump myself and had the inlet manifold off, is it any more or less difficult than this?

Or is better trusting it to a qualified garage? I don't mind having a garage do the work, i just like to tinker and learn stuff about my car myself if i can!
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:06 pm

Easy... I get get my turbo on and off in 45 minutes! The longest part is taking off and on the heatsheilding. The main problem on the turbocharger is just tight bolts, if its never been taken off before, especially because of the tricky positions. For the main four bolts that hold the turbo on to the backplate you need a 17mm spanner, but the top right needs a 17mm spanner with a cut down handle because of clearance problems. You also cannot see these bolts as you undo, them so you are doing it blind. If you cant get these undone (they can seize) then you can remove the whole turbo and backplate assembly from the manifold tubes that run up the back of the engine, by loosening the clamps. If you replace the turbo with a standard unit, then you leave the actuator set as it is. With a larger hybrid, the actuator rod can be wound in to provide the desired boost pressure as per the original unit, as the larger housings need more exhaust gas flow. Bottom oil return are allen head bolts that are relatively easy to get too but clearance for turning the allen key is tight, you end up turning a couple of mm every time so it takes quite a while.
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:46 pm

Thanks David. So if I decided to fit a hybrid turbo to my standard engine, would it just run as normal, as long as the actuator is set right? Or would it give me more lag, less leg, more, less or same amount of power? Could i set the actuator to reliably give me more power, or would it be best in conjuction with other mods, such as a chip, exhaust, induction, etc?

If i didn't want to add any other mods just yet, would it be best to fit a hybrid running standard boost/power, but have the capacity in reserve to gain more power, should i wish to do so later because i already have a hybrid fitted?

User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:08 am

If you run the hybrid at the same boost level as the original, it will make more power, because of the larger wheel and free flowing exhaust turbine. It can be slightly laggier low down, but it smooths out the power delivery making it more controllable. A real gain is found with this turbo and the derestricted exhaust and a little more boost, there is a big improvement in top end power.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:35 am

Not long since I did my turbo and its a botch of a job!!!! As David said its down to seized nuts and the accesibility, which seemed impossible for a while, but perseverance completed the job. First time out I'd put aside the best part of a day, although second time round it only took 1 1/2 hrs. Its not technically challenging, just awkward. As for the hybrid turbo.....on its own I didnt really notice any significant gain, but combined with the exhaust and chip its significantly faster.
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:41 am

Cheers guys. That's answered a few questions for me.

• Advertisement