User

Jon K

Rank

Non Member

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Winchester

Steering Rack Removal

Postby Jon K » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Does anybody happen to know the official way to remove the steering rack on a GTA?

I understand roughly how it needs to come out but what I would like to know is how to get to the four main mounting bolts.

I have had a bit of a search on here but it seems the general advice is to avoid it at all costs. Sadly as the main rack internals are worn out I am going to have to get stuck in.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:01 pm

There are two clamps holding it in with the 4 main bolts .Two top are 16/17 headed bolts and the lowers 13 nuts..The bolts will just come out when all released ,you have to rotate the clamp to get them free .Attack the bolts from the top and the nuts from underneath .They will either come out or not or snap .......
You need to remove the blower fan etc to get access to the top ones I think I can't remember exactly what needs to be removed but it will all become apparent .Undo the steering column linkage ,bolt through a rebate on the main shaft , and also two bolts that hold the column under the dash so it can be slid back .
TRE split ( you will need nice new ones ) then you need to pull the rack out through the drivers side wheel arch .
no avatar
User

Jon K

Rank

Non Member

Winchester

Postby Jon K » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:29 pm

That's great. Thanks Lee.

I will give the bolts a good soaking in WD40 and hope for the best.
no avatar
User

Alan Moore

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:04 pm

Brisbane Australia

Re: Steering Rack Removal

Postby Alan Moore » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:02 am

Jon K wrote: Sadly as the main rack internals are worn out I am going to have to get stuck in.

Are you sure the rack is beyond salvage? Having played with Renaults for 30 years, mostly all that wears is the bush on the passenger side of the rack, and that the boots split.

Although the parts book does not show it, the GTA rack has this same nylon bush on the passenger side as every Renault from the R12 onward, and is the same part as the R12 on the GTA.
GTA V6 Turbo
Renault 4CV 16TS Power
BMW 2002 Tii M3 Power
no avatar
User

Jon K

Rank

Non Member

Winchester

Postby Jon K » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Alan, thanks for the information. the wear is only on the passengers side so I will try my best to get it apart once it is out.

Now I just need to know if the drivers side rack mounting has to come off to get the rack past or is ther a special twist it around manouver.

Nearly there......
no avatar
User

Jon K

Rank

Non Member

Winchester

Postby Jon K » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:35 pm

So the Rack is now out and I can see that the main internal shaft is corroded. I guess the boots split and the moisture gets in then the corrosion eats the bush.

I can see the bush and a circlip holding it in it is just not obvious how the ball joint at the end comes off.
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:41 pm

Jon K wrote:That's great. Thanks Lee.

I will give the bolts a good soaking in WD40 and hope for the best.

Strangely, WD40 isn't much good for this, as it's a water dispersant. Get some proper easing fluid spray... much more effective.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:02 am

Seems I have inadvertently purchased 20+ new GTA RHD steering racks if you need one.

They are actually Spider RHD but look the same as the GTA apart from the length of the ends which can be trimmed.

Also steering on a Spider is slight heavier, could be tyre width but gearing maybe slight differently in which case you will end up with a quick rack!

I'm going to try one on my car.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:05 am

Although the parts book does not show it, the GTA rack has this same nylon bush on the passenger side as every Renault from the R12 onward, and is the same part as the R12 on the GTA

Have you got a part number/source for the nylon bush?
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:47 am

stephendell wrote:Seems I have inadvertently purchased 20+ new GTA RHD steering racks if you need one.

They are actually Spider RHD but look the same as the GTA apart from the length of the ends which can be trimmed.

Also steering on a Spider is slight heavier, could be tyre width but gearing maybe slight differently in which case you will end up with a quick rack!

I'm going to try one on my car.

As I've got mine out already and about to rebuild all the front end perhaps you could send me one to trial fit and test :wink:
Mr Faulks is coming up here this Saturday :wink: :wink:
Quick rack and new bushings performance upgrade 8)
no avatar
User

Jon K

Rank

Non Member

Winchester

Postby Jon K » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:20 pm

I have popped the end off the rack so now the bush can be seen in the end.

It is pretty badly worn as expected. The shaft itself was quite rusty before I cleaned it up.

I would like to try to get it out in one piece so if anyone has any ideas of how to do this it would be great.

no avatar
User

Alan Moore

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:04 pm

Brisbane Australia

Postby Alan Moore » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:14 pm

stephendell wrote:
Although the parts book does not show it, the GTA rack has this same nylon bush on the passenger side as every Renault from the R12 onward, and is the same part as the R12 on the GTA

Have you got a part number/source for the nylon bush?

I don't have my parts books available at the moment, but the bush is the same as fitted to the R12,15.16 17, and most likely 18, 20 and Fuego.

To remove the bush after taking the circlip out I usually just screw a couple of self tapping screws between the rack shaft and the bush to effectively lock them together, and then turn the steering shaft to push the bush out.

The shaft is of a hardened material and the self tappers have done no damage to the shaft in the past to the 10 or so racks that I have fitted a new bush to.
GTA V6 Turbo
Renault 4CV 16TS Power
BMW 2002 Tii M3 Power
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Wed May 11, 2011 2:07 pm

New RATS rack 8)
Could be quick ,will have to see when fitted .
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri May 13, 2011 8:12 am

Jon K ?
How easy was it to get the ball joint off ?
no avatar
User

Jon K

Rank

Non Member

Winchester

Postby Jon K » Fri May 13, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Lee, do you mean getting the ball joints off the hub steering arms?

If so then for me it was dead easy I cracked off the locking nuts and I could turn the rack track rods by hand. I actually did not split the track rod ends from the car in the end. I left them in place.

I will assume I was dead lucky with that because removing the track rod end from the replacement rack was a very different story... :-)
Next

• Advertisement