no avatar
User

25v6turbo

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:24 pm

i know its not a gta but?????

Postby 25v6turbo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:33 pm

yes i know it might be a sin to say it,but i own a 25 v6 turbo(my friend does have 2 gta turbos,and i work for renault,if it helps???)but i want to know what tuning mods i can do to this car,it does run(within reason)the exact running gear as a gta,i wondered if a gta ecu would help???i still run 11psi,but do have the boost upgrade it,but haven,t fitted it yet!!!and ideas on injectors/air filters,boost limits(14 psi i have been told)fuel pressure reg etc,any help in the right direction,BUT i do have an original gta renault workshop manual,with all sections in it for sale?????think it dates around 1986,with original binder,OFFERS???,before it goes on e-bay
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:05 pm

As far as I can tell the GTA ecu is crap and will probably limit your 25! The engine is the same but your 25 wont have the same problems as a GTA. As for tuning, from experience with my GTA, a straight through exhaust will make a big difference and David G is about to produce a programmable ECU which will give you serious drivability gains as well as more power. Dont upgrade your injectors til youve got a fuel regulator or the new ECU.....you'll just overfuel the car.
no avatar
User

25v6turbo

Rank

Non Member

Postby 25v6turbo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:04 pm

very interesting,i thought the gta ecu was better,i just picked up a new unused boxed ecu for a 25 v6 turbo(checked part number at work)cost me £25!!!result,retails at £502 plus the vodka,of course renault don,t have any in uk stock!!!
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:41 pm

Yes, the GTA ecu is better than the 25 one, but they are still both dismal tuning wise. With the 25 ecu, around 220bhp at a bar, with a GTA ecu, 230-240 bhp at the same boost.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

ECUs

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:23 pm

Pete - don't forget the GTA's a car that first appeared 20 years ago now back in good old 1985 - much like Back to the Future.

The ECU and injection was pretty sophisticated for its day, most cars were still on carbs, if you had injection you most likely had an "i" on the back of the car too :lol:
Fully mapped ECU with turbo, and multipoint injection too lets not forget, a fair few injection cars were only single point at the time.

Yep, compared with todays 32 bit processors its a bit lame but still it was as fast as a 1985 Ferrari 328 ................. and unlike a Delorean did it all without the help of a flux capacitor :D
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Get some suspension first.

Postby Tony Smith » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:32 pm

We chipped the 25 Turbo down at ARR and wound the boost up. Was fast but appalling torque steer and wheelspin. The intercoolers are small so that would be a good mod. An exhaust would have to be custom made as theres nothing available off the shelf. GTA ECU is the same but with a map to run the extra boost, no scope for remapping. Increasing the boost will be far and away the most cost effective thing to do then I would say change the intercooler then the exhaust. Free-flow elements are available for the air-box from K+N or Pipercross - same as GTA
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Re: Get some suspension first.

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:19 pm

Tony Smith wrote: GTA ECU is the same but with a map to run the extra boost

The fueling map is the same, as they will both map up to a bar of boost, the ignition map is modified though on the GTA.. Ive tried both ecus on my GTA, and the GTA one has more advance low down, but the 25 makes boost earlier, but less grunt up top.
no avatar
User

25v6turbo

Rank

Non Member

Postby 25v6turbo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:52 am

thanks chaps for the answers,there is an exhaust place in leics that will build a custom jobbie for me,as for boost,i will up to 14psi max,what info does anyone have about the intercooler change,what intercooler etc,and also what gta air filter set up will fit???
no avatar
User

25v6turbo

Rank

Non Member

Postby 25v6turbo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:55 am

also is a complete waste of time/money chipping my car,is it better just to up boost etc???heard bad stories from some people!
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Re: Get some suspension first.

Postby Alpineandy » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:21 am

Tony Smith wrote:We chipped the 25 Turbo down at ARR and wound the boost up. Was fast but appalling torque steer and wheelspin.

Do you really want to make a nice, comfortable and quick luxobarge into an undriveable animal?
Hopefully not. So It's really a case of don't go mad.
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:27 am

25v6turbo wrote:also is a complete waste of time/money chipping my car,is it better just to up boost etc???heard bad stories from some people!

If you dont chip it, you wont be able to run 15psi.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:13 am

Yep, compared with todays 32 bit processors its a bit lame but still it was as fast as a 1985 Ferrari 328 ................. and unlike a Delorean did it all without the help of a flux capacitor

Might be worth your while coming along on the 18th if you have fond memories of 'Back to the Future' :wink:
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Kent

Chipping

Postby Tony Smith » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:59 pm

Modifying the V6 ECU isn't chipping in the strictest sense of the word. Usually it refers to replacing the mapped Eprom with another with a modified fuel and ignition map, while possibly taking out other items like a boost or rev limiter. On the V6 ECU this isn't possible due to its design so the 'chip' is simply a small piggy back device that removes the boost limit within the ecu. Any changes to the ignition timing or fueling will have to be done independant to the ECU although the map sensor will work slightly beyond its factory setttings for small boost increases. As for the intercooler you would need to find one of another car that was bigger but would fit in the available space and has the pipe ends in roughly the right place to allow you to run new boost hoses to and from it or if your feeling flush get one custom made to the largest size that will fit. Its ages since I looked at one and can't remember what it looks like but if you have a pic I might be able to suggest something from another car - I've played around alot with intercoolers on cars- sad I know!
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:44 pm

Tony' I'd like your advice on the air cooler next time we meet, I'm finding that the engine heat is killing the efficiency of the air cooler.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Kent

Help

Postby Tony Smith » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:44 pm

Always willing to offer any advice Simon
Next

• Advertisement