User

nyc863

Rank

Non Member

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 am

Re: The new Alpine topic

Postby nyc863 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 pm

Question about pure vs optioned up car

Do the upgraded brakes stop harder or have less fade on the road? Or only on a fast track? Would different pads and fluid make stock brakes functionally equivalent?

Are there an aftermarket sports exhaust option(s) appearing, does anyone know? The sports exhaust has a valve, does it sound better in sports mode all round, or just makes the overrun cracks more audible?

Thanks
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Postby bcr5784 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:36 am

nyc863 wrote:Question about pure vs optioned up car

Do the upgraded brakes stop harder or have less fade on the road? Or only on a fast track? Would different pads and fluid make stock brakes functionally equivalent?

Are there an aftermarket sports exhaust option(s) appearing, does anyone know? The sports exhaust has a valve, does it sound better in sports mode all round, or just makes the overrun cracks more audible?

Thanks

I don't think anyone has done back to back tests small vs big brakes. The big brakes are excellent and a match for Porsche ceramics in repeated stops from 100mph. I suspect they are overkill for the road - though may come into their own on Alpine descents.

Sports exhaust - I personally don't like it - the flatulence on the overrun is too juvenile for my taste, though I can live with the sharp cracks on upchanges is brings. But that is on a PE - particulate filters are included on current models and may affect that significantly. I think you need to try one - Sports exhausts are very much a matter of taste and many like it on the PE.
no avatar
User

sladey

Rank

Non Member

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:27 pm

Postby sladey » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 am

On the brakes I don’t think you’re going to get an answer because as far as I can see all the cars that journos have driven have had 18 inch wheels and the larger brakes.

I’ve gone for the same myself - you can’t help yourself

I seem to remember one company doing uprated sports exhaust but can’t remember who
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Postby bcr5784 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:54 pm

sladey wrote:I seem to remember one company doing uprated sports exhaust but can’t remember who

Inoxline do one - stainless steel, I think and switchable. Same price as the Alpine sport performance upgrade. Warranty will undoubtedly be an issue.
no avatar
User

Mike

Rank

Non Member

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Wonderland

Postby Mike » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:35 pm

bcr5784 wrote:

Thanks

I don't think anyone has done back to back tests small vs big brakes. The big brakes are excellent and a match for Porsche ceramics in repeated stops from 100mph. I suspect they are overkill for the road - though may come into their own on Alpine descents.

You can't compare the big breaks with ceramic brakes. Porsche ceramic brakes cost you € 8.000 extra. Durability is much better compared to steel brakes. Nevertheless I would go for big brakes at the Alpine. It's imho a safety feature.
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Postby bcr5784 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:13 pm

Mike wrote:
bcr5784 wrote:

Thanks

You can't compare the big breaks with ceramic brakes. Porsche ceramic brakes cost you € 8.000 extra. Durability is much better compared to steel brakes. Nevertheless I would go for big brakes at the Alpine. It's imho a safety feature.

You can't compare them on price - but you can as (Evo I think) did on performance. The Alpine brakes were said to be more progressive and were more consistent - though neither could be said to have faded. 10 stops from 100mph at 30 second intervals is a pretty severe test. As you say durability of ceramics is better, but they are much more prone to damage and replacement costs are astronomic - so Porsche owners who regularly track their cars generally avoid or replace the ceramics..
no avatar
User

Clivej

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:58 am

Postby Clivej » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:02 pm

As you probably all know, Dan Prosser, who writes for Evo and is a freelance journalist as well as copywriting for Alpine UK, has put his money where his mouth is and bought a new A110 for delivery shortly - I thought this made interesting reading in today's Pistonheads...

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-fea ... eets/41037

He's a lucky guy to see his actual car being built! :)
CliveJ.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:52 pm

Well the 110 might get some competition from believe it or not from the new Toyota Yaris GR 260hp in 1200 odd Kg and it’s a 4x4, sounds pretty good on paper and if it’s priced right?
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:40 pm

Apples and Oranges .......RS competition, not Alpine.
no avatar
User

nyc863

Rank

Non Member

Postby nyc863 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:47 am

cupholder solution

https://pasteboard.co/ISKNiWD.jpg

this product, easy find on ebay. used double pads (included) in three spots, for a snug fit. replaces removable ashtray.

https://pasteboard.co/ISKNYGE.jpg

the nice part is you can rotate or shift the double cupholders any which way. If you want it to be really secure for 1g lateral cornering then you may want to use some appropriate glue.

also for mounting a phone,
I ended up buying a small metal ball style magnetic phone mount, also ebay, and stuck it to the lower left corner of the large bezel, the lower part of the phone will cover the ESC off toggle, but the stock screen is fully visible and the phone is tilted towards me and super easy to touch.
no avatar
User

nyc863

Rank

Non Member

Postby nyc863 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:55 pm

anyone know if use of a battery isolator switch is a problem for ecu or error codes?
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:38 am

They should still be retained in the memory until cleared by the diagnostic tool.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

nyc863

Rank

Non Member

Postby nyc863 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:52 am

stephendell wrote:They should still be retained in the memory until cleared by the diagnostic tool.

thanks but that isnt what i meant. some cars dont like to have no power perhaps they throw check engine or lose all clocks and preferences, who knows.
so was wondering if an a110 parked with an isolator switch is 100% fine, mostly fine, or not recommended.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:27 am

Ok well yes there could be an issue then. We had new A110 on display at Excel. It went completely flat due to the screen drain when the doors were opened. It needed to be started with a booster pack but the car wouldn’t select gear. It started ok but simply wouldn’t drive or select gear. After much head scratching and a phone call there was a reset procedure which we followed (thanks to Phil at Renault/Alpine Orpington) and then the car was fine again.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

S111DPC

Rank

Non Member

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Postby S111DPC » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:05 pm

Not sure if there is a ‘spotted’ section anywhere, but I caught a glimpse of my first A110 on the road today - didn’t mange to see what model but it was white driving through Salisbury about 10:30am :up
PreviousNext

• Advertisement