New Alpine A110 owners experiences and photos.

Renault & Alpine General Discussion

Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

olliep

Rank

Non Member

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:39 am

Re: New Alpine owners experiences and photos.

Postby olliep » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Zippy gets to meet his new fried from Dieppe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

reprs

Rank

Non Member

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Postby reprs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:58 pm

A week into ownership and 1000 miles covered now...absolutely everything I expected and more!

Down in SW France after a quick photo stop in Dieppe.

What a sound, what a drive, beats my ex Porsche Targa 4S by (s)miles!

Check out Chez Fins Bois in L'epinoux for an amazing stay!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Braemar

Rank

Non Member

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Postby Braemar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:34 pm

A Targa 4S .... that’s what I’ve moved from as well.

Great Pics of it .
no avatar
User

olliep

Rank

Non Member

Postby olliep » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:44 pm

olliep wrote:Zippy gets to meet his new friend from Dieppe

1st purchase for A110 :) fits nicely behind the seats :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074D3YM2N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
no avatar
User

olliep

Rank

Non Member

Postby olliep » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:56 pm

some proper pics of mine before it go's to have PPF fitted
no avatar
User

Mike

Rank

Non Member

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Wonderland

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:21 pm

Just 1300 km on the clock.
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Postby bcr5784 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Collected my Alpine today.

No chance obviously to give it the beans - but a mainly boring journey up the A34 - though a couple of positives. The car is MUCH quieter cruising than my 981S was AND the sound system is definitely a step up from the crap BOSE system in the Porsche. The result is that I am going to be happy listening to music on boring journeys which I never was in the Cayman. DAB radio seems to work better than others seem to find on many cars too.

A nice touch (shared with the Cayman which has a physical 3rd dial) is that the centre of the rev counter can be configured in a myriad of different ways as a virtual 3rd dial - including the ability to display the next junction during navigation.

Still not convinced that the ride is as good as the 981 with PASM on 19" wheels - much better than the base 718 though.

But the main finding (which I sort of suspected) was that the Alpine is an absolutely fabulous roundabout weapon - miles better either 981 or 718 Caymans. It's great fun even at running in speeds.

Luggage is space is a bit of curates egg - you may well (I certainly will) need to buy some new luggage to make best use of the space. On the plus side there is quite a lot of space behind the seats if you are short (we are) but with the bucket seats it's not so easy to access. It might well take SEVERAL (2 each side) overnight bags - but you certainly wouldn't want to access each night.

Internal storage is even worse than I thought. The space under the "flying buttress" console is very difficult to access if the seats are well forward. Alpine offer a luggage net behind the seats and that (or something similar) is a must.

Service interval is 1 year or 12000 miles - so I fear servicing for many will be no cheaper than the Porsche alternative.

Hate to end on a couple of negatives - so I'll mention that I got 42mpg despite quite a lot of stop- start motoring. I suspect when cruising you will be hard pressed to drop below 40. I have no regrets about the purchase, I can't wait to get back into it tomorrow.
Last edited by bcr5784 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Braemar

Rank

Non Member

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:54 pm

Postby Braemar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm

I would say all those points are really fair and I concluded the same - amazed how refined it is on a long cruise .

I would have liked the option to keep the normal graphics in sport mode as for me they are the most intuitive .

Also going to be investing in new luggage for it.

Not sure if you have seen that the app has updated with a series of short intro videos - most of it obvious or explained during the handover but a nice revision .

Put it in the garage yesterday and it’s certainly as wide as a 718/997 but the lighter wheels make manoeuvring the car much easier .

Enjoy tomorrow with your new Alpine
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:12 am

As you where Porsche owners are you brave enough to put your findings on the the new Alpine on Porsche site, for them to read as an owners subjective comparison, rather than just the auto journalists.
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Postby bcr5784 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 am

Custard wrote:As you where Porsche owners are you brave enough to put your findings on the the new Alpine on Porsche site, for them to read as an owners subjective comparison, rather than just the auto journalists.

I already have. To be honest I haven't come to final conclusions and won't until it's run in. I can't believe that I won't prefer it to my 981 and I'm absolutely certain it's much more to my taste than the 718. But there are things which quite disproportionately irk about any car and you sometimes don't know what they are for some time.
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:34 pm

I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the perfect car, every one is different in size and shape and there driving techniques and preferences.
I find most modern cars are all pretty bland in shape as they all have to meet the euro box standard crash test, along with manufacturers playing it safe with there common shape.
So it is refreshing when a big manufacturer like Renault takes a gamble on a new car and shape, away from most of the bland stuff available in the mid range price bracket.
I hope it lives up to your expectations and I may join you in the future driving one, but I will wait a while as I am pretty sure there will be other models variants, an RS or a Spider.
no avatar
User

timhum

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Postby timhum » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Custard,
Buy one now, you could wait forever for new derivatives and be missing out on so much pleasure. I've only done 300 miles in mine so far but it gets better every time I take it out. Definitely the most enjoyable new car I've owned for years and maybe as good as my E Type :)
Tim
Tim
A110 PE, 2018, Blue.
Jaguar E Type S1, 1965, 4.2l, fhc, Carmen Red.
Triumph TR3a 1960, Red, O/D, Heater!
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Postby bcr5784 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Me too.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:35 pm

Custard wrote:I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the perfect car, every one is different in size and shape and there driving techniques and preferences.
I find most modern cars are all pretty bland in shape as they all have to meet the euro box standard crash test, along with manufacturers playing it safe with there common shape.
So it is refreshing when a big manufacturer like Renault takes a gamble on a new car and shape, away from most of the bland stuff available in the mid range price bracket.
I hope it lives up to your expectations and I may join you in the future driving one, but I will wait a while as I am pretty sure there will be other models variants, an RS or a Spider.

I think the French manufacturers are often pretty "brave" with their designs and concepts for production cars.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 am

Postby LMS » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:36 am

alpine.png
Hello all,

New member to the site. Have liked Alpines for a long time but this was my first full-size one. Had a few Tamiya A110's over the years.

Well, I collected mine yesterday. I'll do a more detailed report shortly but it is everything I hoped it would be even when running in.

As bcr said, it is remarkably civilised at cruising. A trip around the M25 confirmed that although the concrete undulations were trying.

The seats are great. I might just lower the driver's side a little (is there an Alpine toolkit somewhere? if not I've got tools)

I didn't use the radio except for sat nav- I wanted to be able to hear any squeaks/shakes or anything else untoward. I'm afraid I put it in sport just for the pops and crackles which can be enjoyed at running-in revs/speeds. I am a child.

Slightly disconcerting moments as I was tailgated by a Lexus for a while (I kept moving into the next left-hand lane when available) but I presume the driver was just trying to see what the car was. A Focus RS sat at a safe distance for a good part of the journey- It's always much more fun to drive when you know the guy behind is on the ball. I hate those moments when traffic comes to a stop and you wince waiting for the car behind to crunch into the back.

I wish the engine was easier to view- three bolts need to be removed but I understand they are loosened by hand. I like to check oil with a dipstick rather than rely on electronics to tell me.

The rear boot gets quite warm. No good for champagne but good for keeping food warm I presume. Any fitted luggage for here might benefit from a heat shield. We don't need to go full NASA though.

Its gone for PPF/Ceramic at DetailYourEyeCandy up in Huntingdon so I won't see it again until next week but I wanted to avoid stonechips as much as possible as this will be used as often as possible.

I forgot to remove the owner's handbook when I dropped it off so I still don't know what the radio does with music on memory cards- that works better for me rather than linking a phone as I have about 6 songs on my phone! I see there is an sd card slot - If anyone has the manual to hand I don't suppose you know what format music has to be in do you please?

I've not even scratched the surface of the dynamics but it feels right already. I love the styling as well. It's a car I could quite happily sit looking at while drinking a beer or three. For me that is all that matters.
I hope to meet up with some of you soon.
PreviousNext

• Advertisement