User

Alpine Tom

Rank

Non Member

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:30 pm

Sheffield

Air duct cooler?

Postby Alpine Tom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 pm

I guess this is cooling of some sort. I found that it had some debris in it when changing the hoses, can anyone tell me what it does and also if it should allow coolant through because it doesn’t seem to let anything pass just now.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GTA roulette all in on a blue one!
no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Re: Air duct cooler?

Postby Dave Williams » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:40 pm

It's a cooling circuit for turbo..
Earliest turbo cars 1986 don't have this circuit.

The spiral is a cooling fin for heat transfer. They have a small "choke" in the L-shaped alloy pipe presumably to slow the flow through this pipe to allow heat transfer to the air through the black plastic air duct.
(The replacement part from Simon has no restriction).

These always block up and also and many have corroded with small holes that leak.

You can unblock ..but then be careful to check for holes on the section where the clamps tighten.

My heat exchanger is currently a piece of copper pipe. I have a replacement from Simon to fit..but just have not bothered.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
User

Alpine Tom

Rank

Non Member

Sheffield

Postby Alpine Tom » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks Dave I may also bypass if the restriction is not required
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Re: Air Duct 'Coolant Cooler'.

Postby Bazzer501 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi all,

I read this item with interest as a leaking 'Coolant Cooler' was part of the reason I had to abort my trip to Macon this year.
I had a problem with a mystery leak from somewhere on my Expansion Bottle and you have to remove the water pipe to this unit to facilitate the removal of the Expansion Bottle. I guess the continual removal and refitting of the water pipe...(4 times in all!) caused the corroded pipe to fracture slightly so it started to leak coolant.
When I finally removed the old unit from my car I discovered that the finning is made of aluminium and this is crimped onto the steel pipe so what I did was to buy a. £8.00, 13 mm stainless steel pipe with a 90 degree bend in it off of E Bay, and cut this to the correct size. I then drilled the corroded steel pipe out of the aluminium finning so I could fit the finning to the new pipe. I removed the flow restrictor from the old pipe, fitted this in the new pipe in the same location and crimped the pipe in a vice to hold this in place.
Maybe the flow within these pipes is quite powerful and the restrictor slows the flow down so flow isn't lost elsewhere within the cooling system. The Coolant Cooler has air blowing over it when the car is on the move and when the cooling fan is running but whether 50 mm of finning makes a lot of difference is, I guess a moot point.

Anyway there's a few pics below which should illustrate this.

Cheers, Barry.

20180812_145421.jpg

20180812_145356.jpg

20180513_154846.jpg

20180519_141501.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610
User

Alpine Tom

Rank

Non Member

Sheffield

Postby Alpine Tom » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks for the heads up on holes Barry

A closer inspection was definitely worth while!
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Postby Bazzer501 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Interesting...that's exactly the location where mine was leaking so this must be the weak point on the Coolant Cooler when they start to corrode internally!

Cheers, Barry.
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610

• Advertisement