no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 am

New A110 coolant levels

Postby LMS » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:42 am

Sorry if this should be in the main A110 thread but I thought it important enough to warrant a warning to owners:

CHECK YOUR COOLANT

Sorry about the photo's being mixed up - I can't seem to work it out...

Removal of the engine cover takes 30 seconds - remove three twist screws in boot compartment and then undo the 8 dzus-style fasteners and the cover comes away. Replacing it is a bit more of a pain as the dzus-style fasteners have too much play in them so are difficult to line up. Way I did it was to fix the top left and right hand fasteners to hold the cover in place and then did the middle fasteners up and then the bottom left and right.

Thanks to reprs this was on my radar as he said he had to top up levels at 2600 miles.

I've done my weekend checks and I'm at 1408 miles. Oil was fine but coolant:

left hand reservoir: right on the minimum mark after 1408 miles...

right hand reservoir : low but not on minimum.

As reprs had previously observed the right hand reservoir is poorly placed for filling. Third photo is my A110 refill kit (TM) - flexible silicone funnel from Amazon and a length of garden hose. Funnel squeezes inside hose easily and it is then simple to fill right hand side.

It took 700ml to top up the coolant- I'll keep an eye on it and hope it isn't a sign of problems.

Last photo is for comedy value. After looking at yet another owner's manual with beggar all useful information in - No info on fluids- merely look at service manual that we don't have....- I've found the useful page for anyone who has a spare wheel (I didn't know it was an option) If you don't know where your spare wheel is look at the image- it is on your passenger seat and is the reason why your passenger hates travelling in the car....

Car is great. Hope the coolant "issue" is not an issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Re: New A110 coolant levels

Postby stephendell » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Sorry if this should be in the main A110 thread but I thought it important enough to warrant a warning to owners:

No not at all makes sense as you can’t have everything just in one thread. I will look at adding a subsection for the new car and then you can have as many topics as you like.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Postby LMS » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Now at 1835 miles and checked levels again. Right hand still at max and left hand almost at max so I couldn’t tell if I’d lost anything at alI. I put a splash of Renault type d in to bring it to max as I had the engine cover off anyway.
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Postby bcr5784 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:41 am

LMS wrote:Now at 1835 miles and checked levels again. Right hand still at max and left hand almost at max so I couldn’t tell if I’d lost anything at alI. I put a splash of Renault type d in to bring it to max as I had the engine cover off anyway.

Useful to know - I'd better top mine up then.
User

cloudburst

Rank

Non Member

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Northern Ireland

Postby cloudburst » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:30 pm

The genuine OEM Renault type D coolant. Is that the same bright yellow colour that's in the car when new? I've seen reference to it being green and, being a bit OCD, wanted to use the same colour (as well as type) as what's there already.

CB
Renault 5 Turbo2 (previously) - met. brown
Renaultsport Clio V5 255 (previously) - met. red
Alpine A110 Première Édition - met. blue
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Postby LMS » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:43 am

It’s that neon yellow/green alien blood colour! Renault type D.
no avatar
User

timhum

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Postby timhum » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:15 pm

I have just completed a return trip to Geneva covering around 1600 miles. Before leaving I checked the coolant level and topped up the left hand reservoir with about 1/2 a litre which took it to just below max whilst the right hand tank was a little above min so I left it as it was. After the journey all is fine, the left tank has dropped slightly but the right tank is fuller. I used Renault coolant as supplied by a local dealer.
Interesting to watch the temperature gauge while on the longer segments of the journey. Cruising at 130kph ish the temperature stayed between 78C and 85C. Cruising at 110/120 kph the temperature cycled between 80C and 105C. Cruising below that speed the temperature steadied out at 80/90C. I wonder what the target temperature is? As for the constant changing I can only assume the gauge is giving real time info whist the gauges in most cars will only register if the temperature goes outside certain parameters.
Tim
Tim
A110 PE, 2018, Blue.
Jaguar E Type S1, 1965, 4.2l, fhc, Carmen Red.
Triumph TR3a 1960, Red, O/D, Heater!
User

cloudburst

Rank

Non Member

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Northern Ireland

Postby cloudburst » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Checked my coolant levels today for the first time since I first checked it at approx 300 miles. I now have about 950 miles. Have never topped up. Car was stone cold. No real change. If anything the levels were very slightly higher than when I last checked. Perhaps the car was a little warmer back then.

CB

IMG_1634.jpeg

IMG_1633.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Renault 5 Turbo2 (previously) - met. brown
Renaultsport Clio V5 255 (previously) - met. red
Alpine A110 Première Édition - met. blue
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Postby LMS » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:19 pm

I've just checked my levels at approx 4000 miles.
No change so I'm guessing my car must not have been at level when I picked it up. Apologies for the panic..

• Advertisement