Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

davidmt

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Driving light rules (main beam)

Postby davidmt » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Anyone know the precise MOT/legal rules on front lights.

I have sourced some 5.75" and 4.65" LED headlamps to play with and thinking about fitting them to the Spider.

However the 4.65" are also full headlamps (main and dipped beam). I could wire them in parallel so that the pairs work together and use:

Halo/DLR for the side lights.
Low beam for dipped light
High beam for main beam

There are no front fog lights so no issue with them. However I could have all 4 lights working on main beam together which may be slighly excessive :wtf .

Obviously I have options if I don't wire in parallel and could either not use the main beam on both (would seem a waste) or fit a secondary switch to one pair of lights (bit of a faff but could use as fog lights and link to existing switch) but don't want an MOT fail or worse.

Looking at the design there may need to be some fettling with the rear black plastic lens unit to get them both to fit and look right - don't suppose anyone has a couple of spares lying around (Stephen?).

I think they are still online around €50 each side - part numbers 6000072078/9

Thanks.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Re: Driving light rules (main beam)

Postby clee » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:08 pm

It won't pass if they stick by the letter of the law. I can ask my MOT guy tomorrow for the actual wording but suspect it's also must comply with self levelling. There are 10000's of old cars running with new lights though so in the end it comes down to the MOT station you use and you....
User

davidmt

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Driving light rules (main beam)

Postby davidmt » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks.

Found this - interesting read and basically says as long as colour and beam pattern are fine then should pass as no reason to fail unless you come across a tester with a light meter or having a bad day!

https://greyhead.co.uk/other-things/are ... s-legal-uk

If I proceed then I will find out in due course!

• Advertisement