Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

A610 Intermittent Coolant Temp Gauge and ABS Light

Postby Bazzer501 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:55 am

Hi all,

I thought I'd post this as a query.
I recently went to France for 4 days covering some 600+ miles from home and back again. The only work I had done to the car prior to the trip was the fitting of a new Starter Motor purchased from Simon Auto in Germany. The old starter was getting sluggish and when the engine was hot the starter really struggled to turn over, if at all. The new starter is about 3/4 size of the old original one and really whizzes over, load's of torque!

On a few occasions on my trip and since after starting my A610 the coolant temperature gauge hasn't risen to its normal setting of about 1/3 up on the gauge then after about 40 miles of driving it suddenly starts working...then maybe after 15 miles or so it drops back to zero again. On other occasions its worked fine, or not at all, currently its working all the time...for now.

Likewise on occasions I have had the ABS light coming on, (but only when starting the car), stop say for fuel and restart and it doesn't come back on. It didn't come on during a day of stop start driving, got on the Shuttle in Calais to drive home and it comes on again. I cant say that I have noticed any difference in the braking in fact whilst in France I did a few test emergency stops on a quiet car park and the braking/ABS seems to be working just fine. The ABS light hasn't come on at all whilst driving the car, it has only come on when starting the car.
I'm wondering if these are electrical gremlins of some sort or maybe a sensor problem as my coolant temperature is obviously just fine (new radiator, hoses and heater matrix and Type D coolant all within the last year) and my ABS appears to be working fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of the above, any input welcomed.

Cheers, Barry
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: A610 Intermittent Coolant Temp Gauge and ABS Light

Postby Custard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Welcome to the world of the A610, I have had all the above slow cranking when hot is normally caused by leaking injectors or one of the pressure regulators is perforated, the Abs light coming on some times when starting I have found if you just quickly start the car the voltage drops and the Abs pump does not prime properly, turn the key to the first stage and you will hear the fuel pump and Abs pump priming then start the car, the temperature sounds like a wireing problem but electric problems I don’t get involved. Jersey John is your man for that.
User

Jango

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:38 am

Rotherham

Postby Jango » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:51 pm

Sounds like voltage issue to me
A610, Venturi 300, Lotus Carlton, R129 SL60 AMG , 996 Turbo, Range Rover Classic 1994, TR7 V8 Rally Car, TR7 sprint Race car for sale, BMW 850 CSI. BMW GS1200 bike, Where's has all my time gone.
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Postby Bazzer501 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:24 am

(Sounds like voltage issue to me)

Hi Jango,

Which one the coolant temperature gauge or the ABS light...? :thinking

Cheers, Barry.
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:35 am

Barry,
If they have both come on around the same time, I'd be hunting for connectors that have both circuits running through them.
Off the top of my head there doesn't seem to be any....so I'd start with some contact cleaner on the multi plugs that attach the engine loom to the car...these are on the RHS at the rear of the engine compartment. The starter wire and temperature sender go through them...but the other culprit could be the earth straps between the battery and the body and the engine and the body. When the starter runs its draws a lot of current and this can set up voltage differences that could upset other systems if the earth straps are not well attached and clean.
The joy or composite bodies.

Have fun...

Lee
User

Jango

Rank

Non Member

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:38 am

Rotherham

Postby Jango » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:36 pm

Bazzer501 wrote:(Sounds like voltage issue to me)

Hi Jango,

Which one the coolant temperature gauge or the ABS light...? :thinking

Cheers, Barry.

Both
I would check all wiring around starter area just in case its to do with the install of the new starter
A610, Venturi 300, Lotus Carlton, R129 SL60 AMG , 996 Turbo, Range Rover Classic 1994, TR7 V8 Rally Car, TR7 sprint Race car for sale, BMW 850 CSI. BMW GS1200 bike, Where's has all my time gone.

• Advertisement