no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Another A110 power upgrade

Postby bcr5784 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:11 pm

See this https://www.chiptuning.com/en/alpine/a1 ... ntrol.html Looks rather interesting since it can be taken off for service or sale, allows a lot of user personalisation - 7 power levels in each of 3 modes via an App. Ultimate power and torque are down on the Litchfield option, but I'm not sure that is a bad thing given the declared torque limits of the gearbox. Factor in the price - 799Euro and it seems very attractive. Not seen any power curves yet but it seems on the face of it very attractive.
no avatar
User

sladey

Rank

Non Member

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:27 pm

Re: Another A110 power upgrade

Postby sladey » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Is there any sort of warranty like with the litchfield?

Just a bit nervous about messing with it without any sort of comeback if things go wrong
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Postby bcr5784 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:41 pm

sladey wrote:Is there any sort of warranty like with the litchfield?

Just a bit nervous about messing with it without any sort of comeback if things go wrong

No - but then I don't think the Litchfield one covers the box - which is the bit which I'd be worried about. I'm also waiting to see the 110S - and what torque it has and if the box is modified. One nice thing about the conversion I didn't mention, is that it can be moved from car to car
no avatar
User

sladey

Rank

Non Member

Postby sladey » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:02 pm

110S? Whassat?
User

cloudburst

Rank

Non Member

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Northern Ireland

Postby cloudburst » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:17 am

sladey wrote:110S? Whassat?

Like an iPhone S. To be expected a year after the A110. It’s a broken world. :-)

CB
Renault 5 Turbo2 (previously) - met. brown
Renaultsport Clio V5 255 (previously) - met. red
Alpine A110 Première Édition - met. blue
no avatar
User

sladey

Rank

Non Member

Postby sladey » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:39 am

I’ve got my pure on order so my only experience was a test drive , but during that half an hour it felt like plenty of power.

But I daresay you always think of more....

Think I’ll keep an eye on the market and by the tine I’m itching for more all the engines will have blown up or there will be no problems
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Postby Custard » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:14 am

I have taken one out on test for 40mins, it’s not lacking in power so much but more would be nice, it’s torque that’s lacking, on normal road driving a last minute 3 car over take, not happening if you’re not in the right gear then it’s to late. Pick up time in high gears which is the reality when just driving normally along a road with other cars, you wouldn’t notice it if you are on a track or out for a performance drive as you are on it, but in reality 90+% of driving is just general stuff. That’s where it’s needed.
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Postby bcr5784 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:33 am

sladey wrote:I’ve got my pure on order so my only experience was a test drive , but during that half an hour it felt like plenty of power.

But I daresay you always think of more....

Think I’ll keep an eye on the market and by the tine I’m itching for more all the engines will have blown up or there will be no problems

You are right it's certainly not slow.One of the nice things is that it doesn't die at high revs unlike some turbos - it feels quite "revvy". However all of the conversions show that maintaining peak torque beyond 5000 revs, where it currently starts to fall off, is eminently possible. If you did just that it would enhance the revvy feel of the engine.
The problem with other conversions is that, in the mid range, they increase peak torque way beyond the 320nm which is the declared maximum that the box can support. In any case I don't want an engine that feels immensely quick in the mid range and (relatively speaking) weak at the top end.

The particular attraction of this conversion is that you can adjust the power curve. I have yet to see any performance graphs, but I am hoping that it will be possible to improve the high rev performance without increasing peak torque significantly. The fact that it would improve performance stats is irrelevant to me - it would, I think, just make the engine even nicer.
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Postby bcr5784 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:40 am

Custard wrote:I have taken one out on test for 40mins, it’s not lacking in power so much but more would be nice, it’s torque that’s lacking, on normal road driving a last minute 3 car over take, not happening if you’re not in the right gear then it’s to late. Pick up time in high gears which is the reality when just driving normally along a road with other cars, you wouldn’t notice it if you are on a track or out for a performance drive as you are on it, but in reality 90+% of driving is just general stuff. That’s where it’s needed.

You are obviously coming at it from the perspective of someone liking the huge mid range of some turbos. I'm coming from the perspective of someone who prefers something more like a NA engine. More mid range would, as you say, make the car more effective - but (for me) less fun. Down to personal preferences. This conversion might satisfy us both.
no avatar
User

timhum

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Postby timhum » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:09 pm

The issue for me with high revs is that generally they are unusable except on a track. Max revs in 3rd gear takes us to the national limit leaving 4 more gears where we get nowhere near the rev limit. This could be solved by changing the final drive ratio but is, I guess, totally unfeasible. I've also always liked motors that rev but in the modern world they are less practical.
Tim
Tim
A110 PE, 2018, Blue.
Jaguar E Type S1, 1965, 4.2l, fhc, Carmen Red.
Triumph TR3a 1960, Red, O/D, Heater!
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Postby bcr5784 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:56 pm

timhum wrote:The issue for me with high revs is that generally they are unusable except on a track. Max revs in 3rd gear takes us to the national limit leaving 4 more gears where we get nowhere near the rev limit. This could be solved by changing the final drive ratio but is, I guess, totally unfeasible. I've also always liked motors that rev but in the modern world they are less practical.
Tim

It's a bit unfair to criticise the Alpine on that score - it has the most sensible (lowest) gearing of all the cars in it's class. A manual Cayman is as fast (if not a tad faster) in 2nd gear than an Alpine is in 3rd. While I doubt that many owners regularly indulge in 3 figure speeds, I also doubt many adhere rigidly to the national limit.
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Postby bcr5784 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:40 pm

I've been in touch with DTE and got some power curves. What they show is that (as the Litchfield car) the standard car produces more than Alpine claim - 258ps in their case. The modified car produces 299ps, similar to Litchfield but less peak torque. The lower power settings simply limit the torque at all revs so that the shape of the torque curve remains the same as the full power curve but at a reduced level (still above that of the unmodified car). Many might be pleased to limit the load on the gearbox initially - but still get a useful power increase - and get full power when the durability of the box is better established. It's not quite what I want, but I'm probably in a minority.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement