User

jagcat12

Rank

Non Member

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:01 pm

A610 cutting out

Postby jagcat12 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi

First real run of the season a run of approx 32 miles all at speeds up to 45 mph( in a convoy of classic cars so speed to the slowest). Car running fine until tried accelerating gently and with out warning engine cut out and service light came on ,temp gauge reading was normal about half way on gauge .Coasted to a stop tried to restart and off we went again.All seemed all right unless I tried even mild acceleration when it would cut out again.
On return home drove faster, but harder acceleration caused cut out although always started immediately.
I have gone through the various threads re the A610 cutting out problem but seems many many causes but is there any first procedure to try ?
Am aware of condensation in distributor cap and dried and cleaned up contacts a month ago so fairly sure not that but will check

Thanks Dave g
no avatar
User

Custard

Rank

Non Member

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: A610 cutting out

Postby Custard » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:47 pm

There are many things that can start this off, however my one only really did it when it was really hot out side and moving slowly, I have changed most things however when it cut out I would hear a relay drop out.
Along story cut short it terns out that the fuel pump was on the way out which I replaced but also the pump relay was dropping out when it got to hot as well, got a new one from Auto Doc with a higher heat range and no problems since.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:50 am

My first 610 had similar symptoms...turned out to be leaky injectors that weren't cutting the fuel off when they should have been off...effectively flooding the car at low revs.
Sadly there are lots of causes, and lots of theories, so I'd start with easy to fix things like Custard has suggested.
They are old cars and the engine looms are the next place I'd look at after those relays along with all the earth straps and the battery connections too.
Do you have access to a diagnostic box of failing that a multimeter...seeing if the ECU is seeing credible signals is a good place to start.
Lee
no avatar
User

jagcat12

Rank

Non Member

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Postby jagcat12 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks for the hints .Before I start
I do have the wiring digram for the car and see that there is a fuel cut off relay no 37 position behind fuse box,
Could it be this that is faulty?
I will change the fuel pump relay anyway No 51 between the rear seats.
Are there generic fuel pumps rather than Simons .

Thanks

Dave g
no avatar
User

Hedley

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:54 pm

London

Postby Hedley » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:30 pm

I've sent you PM Jagcat. I've literally been there and got about four of the T shirts. I can probably save you a lot of time
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Well let us know what solves it when you get there!!
Thanks

• Advertisement