Wrightbr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:31 am

Kent

GTA Lock Actuator Motor

Postby Wrightbr » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi all.

The lock actuator mechanism on on my Alpine GTA Turbo has stopped working on the drivers side. I've got it out of the car but cant seem to find a replacement? Is it best to crack it open and replace the motor? Has anybody had any success doing this?

Thanks
Brad
alpine v6 turbo 1990
Alpine blue
31000 miles
Leather
Air Con
ABS

Family Car - Kia Picanto Chilli!
Noble M12
no avatar
User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:41 am

Birmingham

Re: GTA Lock Actuator Motor

Postby AndyClark » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:19 pm

The driver's internal door release (not the emergency one) seems to have packed up on my GTA too. I found this link. It seems the correct actuator is NLA, so the guy used an easily-available one and fabricated a mounting plate for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVduKdv4Jss
no avatar
User

Georgi Galabov

Rank

Non Member

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:11 am

London

Postby Georgi Galabov » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi , the lock actuator motor is still available from Renault . I bought one before few months ago for my A610 , it's around £80 . Same part like R25 and R21 turbo .
no avatar
User

purches graeme

Rank

Non Member

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:50 am

Tauranga New Zealand

Postby purches graeme » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:25 pm

Simon has them listed with lock stuff under body parts
Cheers
Graeme
User

Wrightbr

Rank

Non Member

Kent

Postby Wrightbr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:34 pm

Stripped down the motor and bought a couple of these to replace the electric motor. Look very similar in dimensions etc

Just got to wait now for the shipping from China :0(

Will let you know how it goes when they turn up. Got to be worth a punt at a couple of quid
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpine v6 turbo 1990
Alpine blue
31000 miles
Leather
Air Con
ABS

Noble M12
no avatar
User

Irish GTA

Rank

Non Member

Tue May 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Postby Irish GTA » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Here is a possible fix that cost me next to nothing and saved a load of time. The driver's side actuator failed on my GTA a couple of years ago. I took it out, prised the plastic housing apart and then examined it. The gears had siezed and the electric motor was not strong enough to turn them. I figured that the motor had little use, just a second of run time whenever the door is locked or unlocked. I reckoned that was low usage compared to say interior fan motors or wiper motors. Therefore the brushes would not be worn much and there is not a lot to go wrong with a simple DC motor.
The overload clutch in the mechanism prevented the motor burning out.
I lubricated the gears with aerosol dry film lubricant and they turned freely. The actuator was restored.
If I had known that, I would not even take the actuator out of the car, just push the long spray nozzle tube of the lubricant past the dust seal and sppray liberally. Then free up the mechanism.
It is worth doing even if the actuators still work, as they run quietly and more powerfully afterwards. I just sprayed inside the passenger side one.Very quick and easy.
Nigel
User

Wrightbr

Rank

Non Member

Kent

Postby Wrightbr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 pm

Looks like progress. I agree that things to wear and go wrong are very few. However after doing some research I found that the commutators that the brushes connect to to supply the power were not in a great way. Very dull and some black marks on them. This would suggest why the motor was weak and intermittent. I tapped the gear off and cleaned up the commutator with some wet and dry paper until shiny (making sure I rotated it as not to get flat spots) and cleaned the brushes with contact cleaner and put the motor back together. Tested it in the car without being attached the mechanism and works a treat every time now and powerful.

Next step is to put it back into the mechanism and then put it back into the car and see if it still works but it looks like my issue was with fouled commutators. A lot cheaper than a new lock actuator if it works!
alpine v6 turbo 1990
Alpine blue
31000 miles
Leather
Air Con
ABS

Noble M12
User

Wrightbr

Rank

Non Member

Kent

Postby Wrightbr » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:02 am

Worked a treat when back in car as well. So well worth taking the motor apart and cleaning up the commutator rather than buying a new motor and replacing.
alpine v6 turbo 1990
Alpine blue
31000 miles
Leather
Air Con
ABS

Noble M12

• Advertisement