Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Gloucestershire

Rear turret pockets - GTA

Postby Pjr » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have an original turret pocket I could borrow please?

My local fabricator is rustling-up some stainless ones using plans and pictures posted on this forum, but obviously seeing one in the flesh would be ideal. Mine are just dust, so not much use for comparison.

I promise to return it immediately and in perfect condition!

Thanks,

Phil
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Re: Rear turret pockets - GTA

Postby Pjr » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:34 am

My fabricator appears to be content that he can make them easily without seeing a decent one.

I'm going for 4mm stainless which should outlast me. I'll post some pictures once I've collected them...
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:46 am

Clee has already had them made and probably got them on the shelf if you want to contact him first?
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:11 am

I’m moving forward slowly - got the car out of the garage and decided to tackle these pockets. The two bolts through into the turret were ok, but the roll bar bolts were awful to remove.

On the original Renault box sections, there is a folded piece of the metal that almost acts as a lock tab for the bolt heads and makes getting a socket on them difficult. In the second photo you can just see where I bent the metal back near the hole.

On the lower bolt, I peeled that back to get a socket on. On the upper bolt, I used a 5 second blast of heat, then quenched it.

Now I just have the far worse side to do.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:32 pm

They are very simple for any competent metal fabricator to make. Hardest part is probably removing the mastic to get them out and trying not to snap off the bolts into the roll bar.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:17 pm

Stephen, agreed that the mastic is not great to remove either. Ultimately, not an awful job, but not a nice one either. I couldn’t face the other side today - my daughter and I fitted some new front seats in a Vw T25 instead. Easy job with immediate aesthetic reward, rather than a hard job with no visible improvement!

Hope you are well.

Phil
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:26 pm

The Easter bunny has visited early!

Having been let down by some local fabricators, a friend of a friend rustled these up for me in 24hrs and they are lovely. I’ve test-fitted one and it fits like a glove. Guess what I’m doing this weekend!

Old one is included for comparison. These used the drawings posted on this site (thank you!) and they are seam welded rather than the Renault fold and spot weld approach. Next job is to rustproof and paint them.

Hope everyone’s projects are going well and people are keeping safe.

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement