A610 Instrument Panel - Disassembly to access the LCD Unit.

Renault & Alpine General Discussion

Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

A610 Instrument Panel - Disassembly to access the LCD Unit.

Postby Bazzer501 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi all,
Does anyone have any experience of taking apart the A610 instrument unit? This houses the Speedo, Rev Counter, Turbo Boost Gauge and the LCD Screen/Trip Computer. I want to access the LCD screen which means taking the whole unit apart, which according to the Workshop Manual is quite simple.
However, on the back of the panel is 3 copper coloured clips that are immediately behind, so I'm guessing connected to the Turbo Boost Gauge.
In the Workshop Manual it simply states " Separate the bulb printed circuit by unscrewing the 6 screws then separate this printed circuit from the 3 clips by pulling on it".
I seem to remember reading somewhere in the dim and distant past that someone had taken a unit apart damaged these clips and this affected the working of the Turbo Boost Gauge so I'm very wary of damaging anything. The poles the clips are on have a fine thread so I'm wondering if these simply unscrew rather than just being pulled on.
As ever any advice will be more than welcome, photos of the unit and 3 clips below.
Cheers, Barry

20200205_115244.jpg

20200205_115250.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Re: A610 Instrument Panel - Disassembly to access the LCD Un

Postby Bazzer501 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 am

No reply's from the Car Electrics Guys...!

I really could do with some advice before I proceed further, as I don't want to damage anything.

Cheers, Barry.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:51 pm

Hi Barry,
I don't know why I didn't see this, unfortunately I have to do the same job, but haven't done it yet, so I don't have an answer for you (yet). The only thing I remember is there is damping oil so not to invert the instruments.
From the picture they look more like friction clips, in which case a circlip removing tool might allow you to loosen each one in stages with little risk of damage.
Maybe John C will spot this and have more advice.
Stephen has new instrument sets if the worst happens...
Cheers

Lee
Last edited by mettersl on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Postby Bazzer501 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi Lee,

P.M. sent

Cheers, Barry.
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Postby Bazzer501 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Me...again,
I've still not yet sorted out how to safely remove the three copper coloured clips (odd that there are three when there are four posts these clips are on!)
Like most of us I guess, I now have three weeks of enforced leisure so an ideal time to get this job done.

Can anyone give me any idea why these clips are being used and how to safely remove them so I can disassemble the instrument cluster. They do look like they are linked to the rear of the Turbo Boost Gauge and there's no way I want to damage this...!
Further pics below.

As ever any advice welcome, regards Barry.

20200308_143554.jpg

20200205_115244.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 pm

Barry,
My question is why would you undo them...I thought you were after access to replace the LCD?
Judging (only) by the photo, I'd say the trip computer is removed by taking the big metal frame off, and that looks like 4 (maybe more) hex head bolts. The trip computer plugs in with the green connector and looks to be clamped by the metal frame?
Have I misunderstood?
See below, this is a renault 21 trip computer that I have ready to donate an LCD to mine when comes back, assuming the LCD is ok on this (I have not checked yet).
Cheers
Lee
20200325_181427.jpg

20200325_181419.jpg
Last edited by mettersl on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Postby Bazzer501 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi Lee,
Thanks for your reply.
I have removed the metal frame that you mentioned but that still doesn't give you access to the trip computer.

According to my Workshop Manual you then have to remove the bulb printed circuit. (this is directly behind the frame) by removing 6 screws. Then it simply state's " Separate the printed circuit from the 3 copped coloured clips by simply pulling on it."

Once that is done you have to remove the plexiglass front panel by unfastening 2 screws.

You then remove the instrument panel assembly by unfastening the 4 securing screws and 3 screws from the Speedometer at the rear.

You then take the assembly out from the front taking care that the speedometer/rev counter needles do not fall out.

Then finally: Remove the Trip Computer by unfastening the 2 screws (It looks like to me that these 2 screws are hidden so you have to remove all of the above just to access these 2 screws)...Crap design in my opinion given that they instruct in detail in the Workshop Manual how to access/change the trip computer.

This still doesn't sort out my original query regarding the 3 copper coloured clips and how to remove these without a) damaging them and b) affecting the Turbo Boost Gauge.

Regards, Barry.
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Postby Bazzer501 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:04 am

Morning all,
Well, I never heard from anyone regarding my 3 copper coloured clips on the back of the instrument panel query and I was still worried about damaging something by disassembling the instrument cluster so, ...after a lot of ummmimg and ahhhing and with enforced self isolation I decided to simply get on and replace the whole old unit with my new one I had acquired so my new speedometer reads 000,004 miles...!
What a pain to change, the two air events took an age to get out without damaging them, then it was fairly easy to disassemble but I'm glad that I took plenty of photos of the process as it's very important to make sure all the wiring is routed correctly for re-assembly.
Another thing, in the past I had complained about all of the rattles and squeaks I got from my dashboard when driving over uneven surfaces and I was surprised how many bolts and torx screws were loose behind the dash so everything was carefully tightened up.
The binnacle had also always squeaked against the main dashboard as well. Previously I had purchased a sheet of sticky backed felt material off of E Bay , I cut strips from this and stuck it on the binnacle where this butts up to the main dashboard, result no more squeaks,.,..great...!
I finished the job yesterday so went out for an 'illegal' drive to check that all of the instruments were working correctly and happily everything was and its great to now have a legible fuel computer LCD display (My old display worked perfectly it was only the LCD screen that was actually faulty)
Another small job that always bugged me was the condition of the plexiglass cover on the left hand instrument panel, (temp, oil pressure and oil level), this had what looked like old superglue on it so I wanted to replace this as well and luckily I was able to buy one of these from Simon Auto so whilst the dash was out I was able to easily change this as well.

Very happy with the end result and glad I took the time to methodically and carefully change these,
Cheers, Barry.

20200328_153057 (1).jpg

20200328_153105.jpg

20200329_155241.jpg

20200329_155258.jpg
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:06 pm

Well done. You must have the lowest mileage 610 in the uk now!
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Postby Bazzer501 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:14 am

Yup's it was only 000004......lol!

20200329_134411.jpg

• Advertisement