Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Gloucestershire

Atmo starter motor

Postby Pjr » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:01 am

Morning,

After a hellish afternoon yesterday (ultimately successfully) cutting out the n/s roll over bar bolts en route to replacing my turret pockets, I have turned my mind to more gentle problems.

Starter -

my starter always spins freely, but recently it doesn’t seem to always engage. Is this a cleaning/lubrication issue or should I just put on a new starter. I have searched and found that I need one with the 2 spade terminals. A refurbished one is about £80.

Also the manual says I must remove the oil filter. Is that really necessary? Other than being full of oil, I assume it is above the sump oil level, so I won’t have the whole sump drain into my face?

I see that Deloreango do a high power starter with the right terminals for £110 or £120 (can’t recall exactly). Has anyone tried one?

Electric windows -

I’ve made mine reliable by cleaning all the connections (again). but now the plastic centre console but has lost the thin divider between the two switch orifices so the switches move when you try to press them. I’ve ordered some 0.5mm carbon fibre sheet to try and make a rigid mounting, but does anyone have a good fix for this please? I was just going to cut a sheet to mount the switches in and then attach it to the underside of the Tupperware plastic original....

Many thanks and best wishes to you for all of your lockdown projects.

Phil
no avatar
User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:41 am

Birmingham

Re: Atmo starter motor

Postby AndyClark » Tue May 05, 2020 2:06 pm

About 18 months ago, I got a new Valeo starter motor for my atmo through AES in Redditch. They had to source it themselves. I went for a Valeo one, as I believe they were OEM.

http://www.autoelectricsredditch.co.uk/
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Tue May 05, 2020 4:54 pm

Stephen might have the switch panel, I did something similar to you but did it in aluminium and then painted it.

On the starter...I don't know, I'd give it a go without removing the filter and see what happens. If the worst happens and you have to remove the filter the filter, it will be full of oil, but the sump contents won't drain out.

When you are doing the starter, just remind yourself that the 610 and turbo are much harder to get to. :angel
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Thu May 21, 2020 10:49 pm

Thanks guys. I cleaned up the starter terminals and the problem seems better. I just did the engine mounts and it didn’t look too difficult to remove.

The window switch panel is still on the to do list. Stephen has them listed on the auction site, but they are reassuringly expensive so I would like to attempt a repair first.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Fri May 22, 2020 9:49 am

Pjr wrote: I cleaned up the starter terminals and the problem seems better .

There is a Small Junction Box in the engine bay on the bulkhead which should be checked as it can have dirty connections and loose nuts after many years of neglect. It is a small Black box with large cables in and out with a clip on cover. Over time the nuts come loos.
This box houses the Cable coming from the Battery, and connects it to the Cable to the Starter.
Remember to disconnect the battery before attempting to work on this junction box
PS. Here is a pic of theJunction Box....... where the RED large cable enters. :up

IMG_1986-001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25

• Advertisement