User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:34 am

Race was red flagged about 3/4 way through and ended early due to rain. Alpine was fourth at that point. Had been leading at the start. Report here:

The all British Jota Sport Zytek Nissan of Simon Dolan and Oliver Turvey won a shortened 3 Hours of Silverstone as the great British weather played an important role in deciding the opening round of the 2013 European Le Mans Series. The weather conditions, which worsened as the race progressed, forced a long safety car period and then the red flags came out to end the race after 75% distance.

The Signatech Alpine of Nelson Panciatici made a great start as the rain clouds gathered over the track and it soon made rain tyres the required choice and the cars that had started on slicks made a dash for the pits.
The battle for the lead was between the Signatech Alpine, the Murphy Prototype Oreca Nissan, the Morand Racing Morgan Judd, the Thiriet by TDS Racing Oreca Nissan and the Jota Sport Zytek. In the wet conditions Brendon Hartley built up a big lead in the Murhy prototype LMP2 but a mistake at Stowe saw the car beached in the gravel. Franck Mailleux in the Morand Racing Morgan inherited the lead before he aquaplaned off the track and hit the wall heavily. All of the leaders suffered setbacks in the conditions as the drivers fought hard just to keep their cars on the track.

Reigning champions TDS Racing re-took the lead of the race as reached the half way point before the safety car was deployed due to the fact the conditions had worsened considerably. The safety car stayed on track for nearly 50 minutes and the order was shaken up when the cars had to make their stops. Jota Racing moved to the head of the field and they claimed the first round of the season after 48 laps, in front of Switzerland's Race Performance Oreca Judd, driven by Michel Frey and Patric Niederhauser, which finished on the same lap 4.619 seconds from the leader and in front of the Thiriet by TDS Racing Oreca.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:36 am

We were well looked after and had access to the pits and hospitality. Met CEO of Renault & new boss of Alpine who liked all the RAOC merchandise especially the t-shirt!
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

turbodog

Rank

Non Member

Wed May 05, 2004 5:57 pm

NORTH WALES

Postby turbodog » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:37 pm

The entire race was shown live on Motors TV. The weather looked atrocious, the cars were sliding off all over the place. Its no wonder they stopped the race in the interests of safety. Our car did well and you could see the power that he had because as soon as he put his foot down the rear was sliding. I imagine being Motors TV that it will be shown again (and again) this week.
Andrew
(so glad I was at home in the warm and dry :lol: )
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:06 pm

User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Any more pics guys?
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

Jon K

Rank

Non Member

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Winchester

Postby Jon K » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Nice Mullet!! :D
1989 GTA Turbo
1994 Land Rover Disco Pick-up
User

blueg33

Rank

Non Member

Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm

United Kingdom

Postby blueg33 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:19 pm

It was good to meet people, I have seen on the forum, although I had met a couple at Autosport.

Not many pics

img]http://thumbsnap.com/i/ccW543dC.jpg[/img]

And finally one i took with my rubbish lens whilst the car was doing over 100 mph several hundred metres away

Ginetta G33, TVR Tuscan, Audi A6 Quattro, Subaru Outback. Blue GTA Turbo

"If everything feels under control, you are not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti
User

mogster242

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Bournemouth

Postby mogster242 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 pm

Had a great day, although the weather could have been a bit better :lol:

Was great to have access to paddocks etc, Thanks Stephen for organising all this :D

was nice to see some running GTAs too :D and nice to see you all + meet some new faces :wink:
1989 GTA V6 Turbo Grey
Megane R26 F1
Clio 197
User

jonc

Rank

Non Member

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08 am

Oxfordshire

Postby jonc » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 pm

As mogster242 says.

Thanks Stephen for organising this. I had a full car-load in the GTA and we all had a great day.
User

blueg33

Rank

Non Member

Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 pm

United Kingdom

Postby blueg33 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Did anyone else get any pics?
Ginetta G33, TVR Tuscan, Audi A6 Quattro, Subaru Outback. Blue GTA Turbo

"If everything feels under control, you are not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Postby eastlmark » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Bizzarly it would seem, Caterham have now also entered Le mans this year with a completely different team and chassis.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107850
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
Previous

• Advertisement