Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:27 pm

if we set something up in the format you've done before is possible as it caters for the Novice trackdayer as well as the experienced guys,

I would suggest a brief on the racing line braking points etc for the circuit and etiquette of the day, then first hour of the day split into 3 sessions where cars were behind a pace car so they were familiarised with the circuit and get the feel of their cars and learned where the racing line was and braking points at a safe speed, and for the rest of the day split into 20 minute timeslots, break for lunch and finish around 5 or 6 pm.

it should turn out to be a satisfying day for all particpants.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:11 am

Track days are fine, but theyre not motorsport! If thats what people want for next year, there may be a problem with a few peoples car.....the straight through exhaust that David has been selling produces 103 db in the standard MSA noise test (2/3 max revs from 1 metre away...although I never actually revved above 3,500!!!!), which will be too much for a lot of trackday places. I personally dont have an interest in trackdays....but someone needs to check that out before booking. It would be a bit of a bigger if people got sent home!
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:24 am

Noise limits apply on non race days... in the week but some club series' have restrictions set also and every circuit i've been to tests 50 cm away from the back of the car and they vary between 95 db upwards.... 98db is near enough the limit for a standard road exhaust but you can buy a noise measuring meter from Maplins at a very reasonable price, I think we paid about £35 for ours, a good investement if it stops you getting sent home!

Also your reading can change depending on the ambient conditions also, you measure the noise level in a warm dry garage and then on a cold damp morning on a circuit and see the difference
Last edited by andyh877 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:31 am

I'll be shoving bits of insulation up the pipes prior to test then ..............
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:40 am

you can get restrictor caps which fit in the end of the pipes and lower the noise. :lol: .... bit power also.... :cry: .....that's cheaper than buying another silencer though!, or buy a repackable silencer if you're serious enough about using it on the track :twisted: then you can adjust it for different circuits, as I can already do with my system on the spider.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:43 am

Silencer :? What's that then :?: Is just pipe :?
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:53 am

Are these any good at baffling :lol: They're so bad I need to get two
De is wicked guy

http://www.shoplaser.com/index.html
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:58 am

you've seen my new exhaust..... the one which was being stored on the garage floor! and the rear box is about as big as a large bore exhaust anyway :!:
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:53 am

I dunno mate...... I thinks its more bling than functional...... buy a couple and trial them.....
we need a feedback section for parts and stuff don't ya think..... ATE eliptical grooved disks are not up to the Job.... there's the first review!

I can lend you a noise meter so you can carry out a proper test!
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:11 am

Would be good to know just how loud it is . Got to get through an MOT with it on as well .................
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:12 am

Trackdays are all well and good but too expensive in the UK, over regulated and no less dangerous than a sprint (more dangerous in my opinion). There is no competitive element, timing is strictly banned and if someone falls off the track they get sent home, the sessions get screwed up and also there are usually a few dickheads that do their best to ruin the day for everyone else.
However, Croix en Ternois is not like this at all! and also very cheap.
I think Peter's suggestion of organising a limited number of events - sprints and hillclimbs - is the best idea to ensure a decent turnout.
At least there is a competitive pupose to it, you also have the option of just trying to beat your self . Brighton is a good one as there are no bends! but they can be a bit prissy about giving out entries.
Lydden also a great sprint track, but a long trek down for some.
Peter would be the best guide to courses further North.
Sprints usually safer than hillclimbs as they are on circuits and there is usually a bit of run off.
Racing is fine but is expensive. There are few race series in which the GTA would be competitive and it would cost a fortune to prepare a car.
Sprints are just good social events, where we can have a bit of banter, unhealthy food and drive the cars a bit.
How about trying to do say Lydden or Goodwood (sprint), Brighton(standing 1/4 mile), Croix (trackday), Santa pod (run what you brung type thing), plus a couple up North.
User

LiamMcShane

Rank

Non Member

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:39 pm

Shenzhen, China

Postby LiamMcShane » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:06 pm

I'll be speaking to the fella that runs the trackdays/race meetings/drag events at Aghadowey today. I'm pretty sure he'd organise one for us if necessary, a big benefit being he already has the required insurance.
At his current events it's only £30 for a 3 hour trackday session before the race event and you can do as many laps as you like (you don't have to stop at all if you really want!) Between races there's a drift competition (hard in an Alpine!) and after the race event there's a timed drag strip (run-wot-u-brung) along the main start/finish straight. All in all a good day's craic. If I asked him he might even have a special racing class for us all.
I know most of you guys are in Englishland, but it's about time you came over here!!!!!!
'88 GTA V6 Turbo

http://www.perfect-display.com.cn
Perfect Display Technology Company Ltd, Shenzhen
Previous

• Advertisement