User

rsingh

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 15, 2022 4:07 pm

Walsall

My First Classic Car! A 1987 GTA V6 Atmo - E43 CJA

Postby rsingh » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:42 pm

Hey there everyone! Just want to introduce myself to the forum - I am hoping to be a regular here having bought myself a 1987 GTA V6 Atmo. I couldn't be more thrilled, since I was young (and some might argue I still am at 24) I've always dreamed of getting myself a quirky classic sports car, and I think I have found that in this GTA Atmo.

Whether its youthful bravado for me to go straight into my second ever car being an Alpine, time will tell :D. I come from a mechanical engineering background, having studied at Uni of Birmingham and now finding myself as an engineer at Toyota, but my hands on experience when it comes to cars is pretty much exclusively when working on my daily - a little 2006 Seat Ibiza. I've managed most front end suspension jobs on it, and have been (extensively) helped with a gearbox and clutch change on it too - hopefully with a bit of guidance I can figure out my Atmo? Can't be too bad surely? Famous last words :D :newbie

When I picked up the car, I managed the 100 mile trek back home in it, but not without some cause for alarm :thinking. The gearbox lever linkage decided to pack in on the final 10 miles, leaving the car stuck in gear in 3rd/4th presumably :D Through some very painful clutch slipping, I managed to get the car back home :angel

After some research, it seems the lever linkage bushes are a common failure point for these and quite simple to fix if you have enough ground clearance to work under the car - seeing as I currently haven't got this readily available, I've left the car in the capable hands of Hightone Restoration on the advice of both Paul/Stephen, for them to inspect the linkages. Here's to hoping I'll be back on the road in no time, ideally in time for some meetups with all you other owners! :Cheer

I'm aware of a few other things I want to resolve within my first couple of years to get the car into greater shape, including:
- Attending to some of the rubber exterior seals
- Resolving the fuel gauge cluster's temperamental nature
- Resolving the door locks temperamental side
- Resolving the temperamental 34 TBIA carb (something about the wax means the choke needs to be manually held open by a willing volunteer if the engine is started again after a little bit of driving)
- Recovering the missing service book somehow

Can't wait for that list to grow much longer the more I learn :D. Looking forward to meeting you all and creating some memories! :)

Raaj
User

mettersl

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Re: My First Classic Car! A 1987 GTA V6 Atmo - E43 CJA

Postby mettersl » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:53 am

Welcome, as an ex Atmo owner I would say that they are pretty simple except the Carbs which need to be set up properly or replaced with Weber or Holley. Spares are not that easy to find for the original carbs, but they can be found and there is a “how to set up” guide available.
Gear linkage- yup, thats a change when you buy the car problem. I’ve had that (in France) so its on the always change list.
Aside of that the rest of the problems can often be solved by cleaning/reflowing solder joints…there are a surprising amount of electronics on the cars and its all a bit ancient and non standard compared to today. My car had not run for 20 years but it all came back to life with a bit of care.
If you read a bit of French the wiring book can be found on line, thats a useful addition, as it the workshop manual.
If you need help with anything, including sourcing bits, send me a PM and I’ll help if I can.
Most of the parts are common to other cars with a few exceptions (what state are your indicators and rear lights?) but there is improving availability as some of the hard to get bits get remanufactured.
Cheers
Lee
User

mettersl

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Postby mettersl » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:54 am

Welcome, as an ex Atmo owner I would say that they are pretty simple except the Carbs which need to be set up properly or replaced with Weber or Holley. Spares are not that easy to find for the original carbs, but they can be found and there is a “how to set up” guide available.
Gear linkage- yup, thats a change when you buy the car problem. I’ve had that (in France) so its on the always change list.
Aside of that the rest of the problems can often be solved by cleaning/reflowing solder joints…there are a surprising amount of electronics on the cars and its all a bit ancient and non standard compared to today. My car had not run for 20 years but it all came back to life with a bit of care.
If you read a bit of French the wiring book can be found on line, thats a useful addition, as it the workshop manual.
If you need help with anything, including sourcing bits, send me a PM and I’ll help if I can.
Most of the parts are common to other cars with a few exceptions (what state are your indicators and rear lights?) but there is improving availability as some of the hard to get bits get remanufactured.
Cheers
Lee
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:27 pm

Lee,
I’d be interested if you could point me in the direction of the ‘how to set up’ guide for the Solex carbs. Are you referring to the carburettor section of the GTA manual? If so I have a copy of that section already. If it’s something different I’d like to see it as I’ve never been totally sure how to do it for my A310. It runs alright but could possibly be improved.
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.
no avatar
User

Buzzer

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:31 pm

Postby Buzzer » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:28 am

Good luck with it. I have just got mine back on the road after 14 years off the road.
As Lee says the carbs are the challenging areas, followed closely by the electrics.

Dave
User

mettersl

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Postby mettersl » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:16 am

Hi Dave/John...sorry! , haven't found the guide in English yet but I'm still looking....
Cheers
lee
Last edited by mettersl on Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:02 pm

mettersl wrote:Hi Dave, haven't found the guide in English yet but I'm still looking....
Cheers
lee

I presume you mean me, Lee regarding the set up guide. If it’s in French I could translate but English would be better. Don’t spend time trying to find it if it’s difficult.

John (alias Dave)
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.

• Advertisement