User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Sat May 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Nottingham

Rear glass mystery

Postby paulrob100 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:11 pm

I took my GTA out yesterday & gave it a good run. When I got back I opened the engine cover to let the engine cool down after the fans had stopped. When I tried to close it, the catches would not click into place. I have checked them & they do work properly, both latching & unlocking. It is as if the catches on the glass are not going in far enough. At first I thought that the engine cover was not sitting properly, however it does seem to be ok. I know that the latches can be adjusted, but it seems strange that they should both need adjusting at the same time. I am aware of the cost of a new glass, so I am being very careful .

Any thoughts ?
La Plastique Fantastique :GTA
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Re: Rear glass mystery

Postby darrenbiggs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Most likely the engine cover not being aligned / properly in place.

You can remove that by just giving it a tug towards you and then either test by closing the hatch without it in place, or just re-seat it. I've moved mine by accident before and yes then the hatch wont seem to close properly.

If you do remove it totally then just watch out for the two earth straps that should attach to it to form the faraday cage hidden under the carpet! You can just disconnect them and plug them back in afterwards. Likely its just moved slightly.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:09 pm

As Darren says check for possible fouling on the carpeted cover and/or rubber seal. If nothing obvious then just adjust and raise the catches slightly on the body at the rear. They get pushed down every time you shut the glass so they may have just eventually moved enough not to catch. Also spray up all the catches with wd40 or similar to make sure they are nice and free.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Thank you both for the suggestions. I have taken the engine cover out & the glass will still not latch, so that excludes having to look for problems with the cover. There is no sign of the catches having moved, but as Steven says they are pushed down every time the glass is shut. Also there could be wear on the part that `strikes` the catch. I think a bit of adjusting is on the cards.

Still strange how both catches have gone out of adjustment together. :thinking
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Suggest that you check that both "jaws" on the catches are in fact open and that for some reason or other, that have not got themselves into the "locked" position. To check ..... pull the release lever on the N/S door pillar. The reason I say this is that it is strange that both catches are not working, so something common to both seems to be the problem as you had no problems before.
If the "jaws" are open ..... you can check that they are functioning without using the glass cover, by pressing each catch down with the blade of a screwdriver until it clicks shut ..... open with the release lever.
Also check that the linkage between the two catches are not jammed in anyway, and the operating cable is free to operate the catches.
I keep my catches free with Spray Grease ....... it penetrates, then the solvent evaporates, and leaves the catches lightly greased. :up
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

paulrob100

Rank

Non Member

Nottingham

Postby paulrob100 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:21 pm

Hi John

Thanks for the reply. I have already checked the latches & the jaws are not in the closed position. Also the release lever in the door jamb & the associated rods & linkages are all ok. I have had the car for 4 years & regularly grease the linkages & pivots.

• Advertisement