User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Gloucestershire

Re: A6 TAU - Atmo

Postby Pjr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Lighting captions in wrong order - sorry!
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:15 pm

I’m delighted to announce that I now have an MOT!!! Even better, there were no advisories.

On the down side, she did break down on the way home - battery has been on its last legs and finally packed it in. Fortunately, it conked out outside the local pub where the garage owner was having a pint! He nipped out and helped me restart it and I nursed her home. New battery is on the way.

The only problem I have spotted on my first drive is that a bush on the rear drivers side is creaking. Searching on here that seems to be a common complaint, so I shall ignore it for now!
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:46 pm

Update for the New Year!

Well, since my last post I have had the engine and gearbox out for a clutch change and replaced all the hydraulics.

The key development is that I have replaced the Solexes with a tweaked Weber 38 DGAS sitting on a raised mount but still under the old airbox. So simple to install and operate and straight out of the box the car runs smoother and with almost no hesitation. The torque is immense. It makes blasting up the local winding lane and absolute pleasure. Once it has had a proper tune, I think this Atmo will be one of those cars you never sell.

The only downside is that the passenger window has decided that it isn’t going to close - annoying - it’s a dodgy connector but it takes a few minutes to get at it.

Happy New Year!

Phil
User

mettersl

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:33 pm

Well done Phil,
Welcome to the world of working Atmos, apparently there are 25 of us in the UK.
What did you need to tweak the 38DGAS to get them to work properly on the Atmo?
I'm running Solex now and they are OK, but always interested in simple, reversible mods that improve it, the holley has always been a bit too much of a one way mod for me.
I had the same problem with the left window, but its settled down and works reliably now. You can clean the connectors with the motor in place if you are flexible.
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:30 pm

Good to hear that I am not alone!

I will revert With details about the Weber conversion......
no avatar
User

Darcy57

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:43 am

Postby Darcy57 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:20 am

Hi phil would also be really interested in fitting the weber does it come as a kit? Any info would be apprecieted. Thanks brian.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:29 am

There was an oem Weber manifold available for the R20/30 if you can find one. It’s a direct bolt on replacement but there aren’t many left that haven’t been chopped up by Johnny law for Holley kits along with the solex ones.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:04 pm

Sorry for delay since last post although i think I have answered the questions in some PMs.

In essence, the conversion is like the holley in that that manifold is cut open and a weber mounting plate welded on. My weber is on 2 x rubber mounting blocks which gives a better gas column but it still fits under the engine cover with the original airbox.

I think the holley flows more vapor, but the weber seems to flow enough and the car is very nice with it.

Ive just fitted a throttle return spring to get a perfect pedal action. I also has a minor problem which apparently is common with the 38 DGAS - the brass pipe for the fuel inlet to the carb was slightly loose and therefore leaked. I have bonded it in with epoxy as per the 1980’s tried and tested fix.

Just need to refix the passenger window motor, get a respray and sort out the turret pockets and then drive her!

Incidentally, if I fit a rear turret brace, can I drive her with dodgy turret pockets until fixed?
Previous

• Advertisement