User

paul_J

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed May 13, 2009 9:10 am

Co Durham

Postby paul_J » Fri May 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Yeah that would look a lot better, hope they still make them.. I'm also going to look at replacing the air ducting to the fans, especially the one from the turbo box which is pretty beaten up.

I'm wondering about the joints in the exhaust pipes.
I should be able to get the turbo mounting plate and the exhaust manifold to the turbo in place - but what is the best way to put these joints back together? Do I need to use paste/putty etc or can they simply be bolted straight back together? Is it worth replacing the bolts/nuts? There are four of these joints to do, on the short pipe sections.

Last thing I want is to have to take the whole bloody thing back apart when it starts pouring out smoke! :?
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri May 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Can't really explain the best way but they will go on . You have to flex the outer clamp just so and they will go on .Just keep it all slack and make sure the inner collar is centered ,then do them up gradually ,working one then the other then the other .
No paste required .
The 90 degree one needs to be on the correct way as it is slightly shorter one side of the bend to other .For the life of me I cant remember which way round it goes without fitting one but think the longer run points toward the turbo .
Looking good 8) Getting near to firing it up :twisted:
no avatar
User

paul_J

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Co Durham

Postby paul_J » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:58 am

Ah yes, I was rebuilding a car wasn't I :lol:

Well after moving house working conditions have changed:

to this:

Using the pit to put it all back together soooo much quicker and easier on this car, no more lying upside down on a wet gravel drive!

Have refitted everything except the heat shields and now have it running :)
Really pleased that it fired up straight away, not so pleased it appears to be burning more oil than before.. and the tappets are as rattly as ever.

Can't drive it yet as this:
The thread connection on the brake servo non-return valve has sheared off. And to cut a long story short while trying to repair it by making a threaded insert for it I managed to drill straight through the non-return part of the valve :shock: . Local dealer's parts dept was smugly happy to tell me the part is 'no longer available'... anyone have a spare one lying around? Or can suggest a suitable replacement?

cheers

Paul.
no avatar
User

KTR

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Dorset

Postby KTR » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Looks like the same valve fitted the the R5 GT Turbo so should be easy to source. Try Bob at CGB as be breaks R5s.

David.
User

The Saint

Rank

Administrator

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:55 am

Rugby Warwickshire

your car

Postby The Saint » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Just browsing the forum and noticed your car... the number plate seemed familiar??? so I looked thought some pictures I had of GTA's I had looked at buying in the past. and there it was.... I have a few pics of it... nice to see it getting the care it deserves.. I was going to buy it but the guy selling was not going to drop his price or take the deal I was asking...
The Saint.
Blue A610,
Black Smart Roadster.
SmartEDElectric Drive
no avatar
User

paul_J

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Co Durham

Postby paul_J » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks David I will check it out, have been offered one by another member but will keep it in mind :)

Ha you are the first person so far to have come across this car before, I'm surprised no-one on here has owned it as its had 8 other keepers. Well I wouldn't say its in tip top shape but certainly now better than when I bought it!
Previous

• Advertisement