no avatar
User

A610beaver

Rank

Non Member

Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:57 pm

Another A610 back on the road (nearly)

Postby A610beaver » Sun May 29, 2011 6:35 pm

I finally got around to picking my recently purchased A610 from Cambridge. The owner even threw in a couple of jars of home grown honey (to sweeten the deal).

The plan was to trailer the car home however after seeing the car I thought I may as well book the car in for an MOT and drive it straight to my local MOT testing station where my MOT man could give it a thorough poking. This gave the benefit of being able to drive it and see how it goes.

I'm not sure if this was brave or foolish but at least I was driving legally with the MOT booked.

Driving the car at first, it felt like it hadn't moved in a long while but things loosened up after a few miles. I couldn't feel anything wrong with the steering and the brakes had suffered from sticking calipers which soon released after a bit of braking and accelerating which is normal on a drive back North.

On getting to the MOT, I got under the car with the man and we had a good poke around, The subframes front and rear are solid, still with original paint on them, the sills are solid but the outer plastic sill was damaged looking like someone had tried to jack the car by it but will repair easily. Rear of the front wheelarches again solid.

The bad news is the battery tray, this is badly rotted but an easy repair so I'm on with that now. The MOT man gave me a fail for the battery tray saying the battery could drop out and for the damaged outer sill saying it could be an integral part of the structure of the car. I think this is a bit unfair as I don't think it is integral but seeing as I'm going to repair this at the same time as the battery box, I didn't see the point of arguing. I could probably take the car to a more lenient MOT station but I don't see the point. The bits he picked on need fixing.

I told him about the previous fail on the power steering but he couldn't see anything wrong either so this is either an intermitent fault or the previous garage TTP. He said the brakes had probably freed off with driving which were my thoughts too.

I took a gamble on this car without being too concerned over the condition as the plan is to do a complete restoration anyway but it's nice to know that there is nothing too serious.

The plan now is to get the car fully legal and shake the car down before the restoration starts in earnest.

The car was last repainted in 2001 and I could get away with a partial repaint but I want this car to look immaculate. I want it to look every bit the rare exotic supercar it is.

I'm not sure whether to stay with the leather or try to source a velour interior. Either way, I want to renew the front seat foam as it's just too soft for my liking. If I stay with the leather, I'm tempted to move away from the grey which again is not to my liking.

Regarding wheels, I'd like to go for earlier disc wheels. The tyres are quite new so I'll stick with those.

Mechanically, I can't fault the engine, clutch or gearbox. No noises, no leaks. It's a pity to take it all out but again, i want the rear subframe and engine looking clean and nicely painted.

Suspension and brakes feel good but the rear bushes squeek over speed bumps which I believe is common on old A610 and GTA bushes.

The plus points in particular are that the exhaust, clutch and discs have all been done in the last 10K miles. The tryes have about 6mm front and back. The car goes well - very well in fact.

One interesting point is that I've been told that the car was white when new but was repainted by Renault for some reason. Surely the paint code would say it is white then - how do I check this?

The only bad bit of bodywork is some cracked paint on the roof and some big stone chips on the front. It also has a few pimples on the drivers door but nothing I'm too worried about.

If the car was white, I'm not sire if I should revert to white or maybe change to another A610 colour. I do like the red as well as the grey that they never did a RHD version of. I love yellow too.
User

mellowyellowa610

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Chester, Cheshire

Postby mellowyellowa610 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:17 pm

I would be surprised if it was white when new but may be corrected. I thought only the albertville cars were white? What does the number say underneath the bonnet on a plaque on the top left? Yellow for instance is 530.

Glad to see another one is going to find its way back on the road. Hope you keep hold of this one.
no avatar
User

Paul Tindall

Rank

Non Member

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:36 am

Postby Paul Tindall » Sun May 29, 2011 8:27 pm

mellowyellowa610 wrote:I would be surprised if it was white when new but may be corrected. I thought only the albertville cars were white? What does the number say underneath the bonnet on a plaque on the top left? Yellow for instance is 530.

Glad to see another one is going to find its way back on the road. Hope you keep hold of this one.

At the Gaydon Renaultsport event we met the chap who had originally ordered, and personally delivered our Le Mans to the Patrick Collection and he told us about the 15 years he had worked at the Birmingham Renault Performance Centre. He said that they had the last of the 610s available in rhd and they were asked what colour they wanted (no restrictions) so had one in white - it apparently sold very quickly. So at least one 610 did come over here in white.

Paul T
User

PaulyA610

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Gloucester

Postby PaulyA610 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:05 pm

I am also glad to hear another 610 is road bound, just dont sell it out of the uk, get her up and running for the A610's 20th meet as we need as meny as poss!!!
I like the sound of a white one, that would look cool,I would keep her blue as there were three in red today at prescott! If you wanted to change the colour i would do it in the dark met green!!
Lotus Evora 400
Renault R8
Renault Megane R.S 265 Trophy
Renault megane sport tourer

GAZ Suspension Dealer,SPAX Dealer, Forge Motorsport Dealer,Alpine ICE Dealer,
no avatar
User

A610beaver

Rank

Non Member

Postby A610beaver » Sun May 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Ooooh dark green. If there is one colour my misses would put her foot down on is dark green.

We used to have an immaculate Matra Murena - dark green. My wife was driving it to work one day and a JCB type tractor ran over the car. The accident investigator reported that the colour of the car was a major contributor to the accident as the car blended into the background.

We've not had a green car since.

I've also noticed how dark green cars are easier to miss.

I think blue on an A610 is as right as green on a D type or silver on a 911 so blue may stay but I want to consider my options.

I'll take a look at the plate. If it was white - I would revert to that as it would be unsual and legitimate.
User

mellowyellowa610

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Chester, Cheshire

Postby mellowyellowa610 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Was talking to Stephen today about white cars and he said the 610 looked great in white. It would at least be unique in the UK. The green car looked fantastic but I know what you mean about blending into the background which is the last thing you want to do with a car like this! Do have a look for the colour code under the bonnet as it would be interesting to have traced the white car mentioned by Paul T.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Mon May 30, 2011 9:52 am

Have a look at the Macon photos, there was an Albertville (white) there the last two years distinctive yes, but the shape gets lost so- I have to say it didn't work for me....but then I love the yellow which is also a controversial colour.
Of course you could get it pumped up like the A610 evolution replica also in the Macon pictures....
But if it was white originally....maybe it should be white again.
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:31 am

mettersl wrote:Have a look at the Macon photos, there was an Albertville (white) there the last two years distinctive yes, but the shape gets lost so- I have to say it didn't work for me....but then I love the yellow which is also a controversial colour.
Of course you could get it pumped up like the A610 evolution replica also in the Macon pictures....
But if it was white originally....maybe it should be white again.

dellboy can email the owner for the colour code if you seriously want it.....
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

Postby phildini » Tue May 31, 2011 9:54 am

mellowyellowa610 wrote:............ I thought only the albertville cars were white?

Alpine also done 4 Pearl white as I discovered at Macon.... :wink:

Best way to find out if it was white, just run a DETAILED HPI, (not the cheap £3 phone jobbys) it will tell you on there ;-)
Last edited by phildini on Tue May 31, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:56 am

no mr Dini at Prescott..... :shock:
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Postby phildini » Tue May 31, 2011 10:18 am

andyh877 wrote:no mr Dini at Prescott..... :shock:
WORKING :cry: Also 610 needs new TPS at £200, 21 rear calipers seized :cry: :cry: Motor trade on it's knees, no money, so they stay in the garage.
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:50 am

phildini wrote:
andyh877 wrote:no mr Dini at Prescott..... :shock:
WORKING :cry: Also 610 needs new TPS at £200, 21 rear calipers seized :cry: :cry: Motor trade on it's knees, no money, so they stay in the garage.

understood..... pity though
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Tue May 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Computer says

L5GEO  K010771 Electric Blue NV543 09 1993 Leather
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Postby phildini » Tue May 31, 2011 2:24 pm

stephendell wrote: Computer says
............... NO :lol: :lol:

Do it in Porsche GT3 Blue

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/ ... 554623.jpg

Or the green

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... GT3_RS.JPG
no avatar
User

A610beaver

Rank

Non Member

Postby A610beaver » Tue May 31, 2011 3:03 pm

On this occasion the computer is right. I've found the colour code on a plate under the bonnet and it says 543 so the story of it being white is BO11OXX

Having seen some photos of A610s in white, I could understand someone changing the colour but they wouldn't go to the trouble of changing the paint plate.

Yellow is probably my favourite colour but changing an Alpine from blue to yellow would be like changing a Ferrari from red to yellow.
Next

• Advertisement