Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Does lowering reduce the travel? I suppose it must do as you'll start to hit the stops?
Living in the wilds of Essex, I wouldn't lower mine or the grass in the middle of the roads would remove something significant.... :D
I have just had to replace the under-tray on my Audi as it had worn though...grass and sped humps, as std the 610 has more clearance.
no avatar
User

steve barker

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 10, 2004 8:40 pm

Postby steve barker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:31 am

The Gaz coilovers are quite a lot shorter than the standard shocks and springs but the " travel" is easily set up so it's not riding on the bump stops as this would cause unnecessary wear to all the suspension components. It also gave me a good opportunity to set up the corner weights which has improved the handling a noticeable amount!
1994 A610,1990 GTA turbo,2004 clio 172, 06 kangoo 1.5 dci.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:35 am

Where did you get springs from ?
I've put a set of Gaz on Rottbott's but on std springs and the fronts could do with being shorter .
User

PaulyA610

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Gloucester

Postby PaulyA610 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:30 am

I can get hold of the springs for the GTA/A610 as I am a GAZ dealer, do you want me to get you a price for them??
Lotus Evora 400
Renault R8
Renault Megane R.S 265 Trophy
Renault megane sport tourer

GAZ Suspension Dealer,SPAX Dealer, Forge Motorsport Dealer,Alpine ICE Dealer,
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

Postby si21 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:20 am

mettersl wrote:Does lowering reduce the travel? I suppose it must do as you'll start to hit the stops?
Living in the wilds of Essex, I wouldn't lower mine or the grass in the middle of the roads would remove something significant.... :D
I have just had to replace the under-tray on my Audi as it had worn though...grass and sped humps, as std the 610 has more clearance.

That is one thing I have had with all of the Renaults I have owned ....superb ground clearance, evin my21 turbo is lowered 40 mm and totally loaded and I mean totally loaded rear seats an all it still does not ground out ......dont ask me how but it doesn't and thats witha 2.5inch exhaust system all the way through so much larger than standard.

I am yet to do the suspension on "Christine" the actual struts that is, a;; the wishbones etc have been done, there must be bump stops somewhere, are they at the top of the turret ...if so can these be modified to give more travel....lowered /shortened to help prevent this?

I am actually considering only lowereing mine marginally if at all otherwise you'll get too much camber and introduce tyre wear I am not confident that there would be more grip in the wet as the car doesn't roll sufficiently to utilise the extra camber, not unless your gonna adjust the ride height everytime it rain :roll: or we get on car adjustable camber.

I dont think a drifting set up will suit a rear engined car :roll: :lol: :lol: but if I'm wrong please feel free to advise me differently :P

Mr Dell strut trunions .....expect a chasing call :wink:

si21
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:37 am

PaulyA610 wrote:I can get hold of the springs for the GTA/A610 as I am a GAZ dealer, do you want me to get you a price for them??

Aiiii :D get a price for 610 and GTA please .Spring rates ?
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Postby si21 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:49 pm

steve barker wrote:The Gaz coilovers are quite a lot shorter than the standard shocks and springs but the " travel" is easily set up so it's not riding on the bump stops as this would cause unnecessary wear to all the suspension components. It also gave me a good opportunity to set up the corner weights which has improved the handling a noticeable amount!

Sorry when posting earlier I had not seen this response so its all about how you set the shock up? At work sneeking a peek :wink:

Are different rate springs available and are the 610 shocks the same as the GTA of course I am referring to a set of GAZ dampers and springs?

Any info on initial set up would be greatfully received from those in the know.

si21
User

jon_viola

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:45 pm

Sussex

Postby jon_viola » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 pm

AVO do a set and direct they are reasonable.

Failing that try Coil Springs of Sheffield they will make any spring to your spec/size and a few years back at least were v v cheap...
1989 GTA Turbo
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate- A.K.A Badke Bus

www.badkequartet.co.uk
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Postby si21 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:45 am

si21 wrote:
steve barker wrote:The Gaz coilovers are quite a lot shorter than the standard shocks and springs but the " travel" is easily set up so it's not riding on the bump stops as this would cause unnecessary wear to all the suspension components. It also gave me a good opportunity to set up the corner weights which has improved the handling a noticeable amount!

Sorry when posting earlier I had not seen this response so its all about how you set the shock up? At work sneeking a peek :wink:

Are different rate springs available and are the 610 shocks the same as the GTA of course I am referring to a set of GAZ dampers and springs?

Any info on initial set up would be greatfully received from those in the know.

si21

Sorry having read my own post back again, I am refering to a nearly new set of Gaz coilovers that I have in my possesion for fitment to "Christine" I have held back fiting them as I did not want to try and get the bush T piece off the end of the standard struts. I want to be able to fit and remove in one piece so I can swap back if the Gaz gave me issues; I didn't want to detroy the standard struts getting the bushes off as there is nothing wrong with them :wink:

Everything has been fitted to a car and a certain person who shall remain nameless thought he would test all the valve adjusters without any regard for the original position :lol: :lol: :lol: I dont now really have a clue or in structions to know where to start from.

Actually this wasn'tsupposed to take over Steves A610 Thread so I'll ask the question later on another post!

It does look good lowered Steve very squat an purposeful a bit Porshe-esk looking at the back end (dare I say it); that's a compliment in my book by the way :wink:

si21
no avatar
User

jamie

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby jamie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Just a bit of useless info... Si's 'Christine' and Steve's 610 were once owned by the same person from Dumfries.
When I bought the 610 Christine was looking very sorry for herself in the shed.
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

S.E London

Postby si21 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:45 am

jamie wrote:Just a bit of useless info... Si's 'Christine' and Steve's 610 were once owned by the same person from Dumfries.
When I bought the 610 Christine was looking very sorry for herself in the shed.

Hey Jamie not at all i dont have any history at all any clues about it's passed life would be really nice to know. I looked at some pictures of the car when I first picked it up no bumpers,head lights, rear lights , no door locks, window winders or carbs ......she looks so much better now :P

Si21
Previous

• Advertisement