johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

A310 V6 coolant pipes in chassis

Postby johnb » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:54 pm

I am trying to remove the two coolant pipes that run the length of the chassis centre box section as part of the major work I am doing on the car. They do need to come out as coolant has leaked into the chassis box section so I need to find where the leak is coming from. I have removed the double pipe clip at the rear end of the chassis box section and the front clamp was missing. I am presuming that they are withdrawn towards the rear of the car, is this correct? If so, it looks as if the gearbox needs to come out although I have jacked it as high as possible (the engine is already out). Am I correct? The pipes will pull back a certain amount and then jam.
Any tips would be appreciated
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:01 pm

Should be engine and box out like the GTA.

Remove from the rear. Try one at a time if they jam.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Yes, it will probably be easier with box out. At least it will give more room to do a straight pull.
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:35 pm

As 'El Presidente' says, gearbox out.

I vaguely recall someone pulling them out in short pieces (would be a pain to cut but IIRC some of it was rusted through).
Then he replaced with smaller Ali sections with silicon hose connections.
Sounds like real hard work to me, but if you really don't want to take the box out.....
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

PaulyA610

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Gloucester

Postby PaulyA610 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:04 pm

If you are posting this in the project secion of the forum, you should post up pic's of the car and jobs you are doing which would be interesting and helpful to others with the same car. Other wise this needs moving to the general section of the forum!!
Lotus Evora 400
Renault R8
Renault Megane R.S 265 Trophy
Renault megane sport tourer

GAZ Suspension Dealer,SPAX Dealer, Forge Motorsport Dealer,Alpine ICE Dealer,
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:26 pm

In response to Alpineandy I am going to take the gearbox out now as this will also allow me to do some tidying of the chassis in that area. The problem with removing the pipes at the moment is that they are jamming before they hit the gearbox. Anyway, with the gearbox out I'll have more room to work. If I manage to remove them I'll probably have new ones made in stainless by a local exhaust manufacturer who also does coolant pipes. They need to come out as they are corroded. It's a bit tight for space down the chassis as the air con hoses (yes, it has air con) are also in the box section with the water pipes.
I am making a start on dismantling the rear suspension for painting/refurb so to take the gearbox out isn't a big deal, except for rusty fasteners.
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:47 am

johnb wrote:.... I'll probably have new ones made in stainless by a local exhaust manufacturer who also does coolant pipes. ..
....yes, it has air con......

Don't forget to have the 2 'down tubes' at the back of the engine made up as well.

Snap, mine has A/C as well and a glass sun roof :lol:
It does make continental touring much nicer 8)
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:11 am

I was planning to replace the 90 degree tubes at the back of the engine because these are currently in copper with soldered elbows. I don't think that these can be the originals.
I may also have made in stainless the small 'header' near the radiator and the two pipe 'loops' in the vee at the flywheel end of the engine.
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:37 pm

johnb wrote:currently in copper with soldered elbows. I don't think that these can be the originals.

Originals are mild steel.

• Advertisement