no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Re: This'll test the fabricating skills

Postby MFaulks » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:37 am

Easy checks anyway, disconnect it and try again; ecu will default to the reading taken from the air temp sensor and knock back some timing. If it still runs like pants, then you likely have a motion-lotion problem :-)

Keep the faith, and shot-gun the fuel filter, lines (back drain them through a paint filter and look for crud), and the silly little pump up at the front.

Keep on smiling, count your blessings, as each GTA problem keeps you that bit further away from dementia as you have to flex those brain cells, got to make up for the Frenchies somehow :MoreSarc

Martin
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:33 am

Ha ha Martin. :crazy After all these years of GTA ownership I think I went mad years ago.... but is it the symptom or the cause..?

"But my dear how 'bout you?"

Anyway had a look this again this morning. Front pump is definitely running, fuel filter (or at least one of them - need to check the receipts for the last service is new so that'd be a big lot of crud to gather inside of a 1000 miles) so then had a think about your initial comments plus something Miles mentioned in a note about the TDC.

So.... had a look at the wiring to the TDC. Mine hasn't got the Renault plug on it, it's wired with normal electrical connectors, plus I noticed a small cut in the insulation of one of the wires. I crimped up the connectors tight (squashed 'em with me connector tool) and wrapped some insulation tape around them.

Took it then for a run and so far so good. I'm not sure it's a definitive fix, but I'll take it out again tomorrow and keep close to home but try to do a few loops to test it out. I haven't gunned it yet Martin as when it cuts it's pretty violent so I want to make doubly sure this is a fix first. Then I'll swap back to the updated chip again to see how that works.

So although I don't want to jinx it, Thanks Miles. (I hope)

Change one variable at a time!

Yours from the funny farm.

Darren
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:12 pm

Right, now I'm confused. :crazy

Started the car up the other weekend and had it running on the drive etc. Gave it a wash and started getting it ready for the summer. Car started on the button again to go back into the garage etc.

Anyway now that I think the misfire issue (fingers crossed) had been resolved by crimping tight the TDC wires, I decided to swap the chip back for the updated version that it'd been running previously.

Went to start the car and now oddly you can hear the fuel pumps priming non-stop (rather than the usual 5-6 second then stop thing) and the car won't start. It'll turn over but no sign of life.

All that's been changed is the ECU has been pulled and put back in. I can't see any disturbed wires and the muti-plug all looks good.

Any ideas anyone??
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Right. Panic over. All fixed again.

Sent Martin a few texts and he mentioned whether the 'stack' that the chip plugs into could have moved. Checked all the wiring and found one wire that was sitting correctly but had broken proper contact with the pins.

Small bit of soldering later and we're back. Cheers Martin!
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:12 pm

Darren,

I've just used some hot melt glue on the converter I have just done to support the wires, may be a good idea for yours.

Regards,
Martin
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:53 pm

Might be worthwhile, having said that hopefully I won't need to pull the chip again too often!

Been making it shiny......
2014-03-29_15_52_59.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Look what the postman brought today. KV85 type Magnecors.

magnecor.JPG

£105 delivered isn't a bad price. Handmade by Julie!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:09 am

Handmade by Julie!

Like every other set I've ordered lol

It's quite a small workforce I think. Quality items though and very highly recommended.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hampshire

Postby Miles » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Magnecor HT leads, where do I begin?
Well glad you purchased the 8.5 kva, I ordered the narrower more expensive blue ones. (Because they fitted the guides, the red ones don't and I preferred the colour) Which took months to arrive ,from my best mate in Colchester, (be nice) but as you say a small workforce. I was not overly impressed by the quality though, as I could see tracking down one or two of them; which usually means they are on there way out.

But they refused to change them at the time. And gave me a list of remedial actions which I duly carried out:new rotor arm,dizzy cap ,plugs, new earth lead. None of which helped. So top tip don't by the more expensive blue ones.

To be fair though they worked ok, and as long as you did not look at them in the evening, ignored the very occasional misfire you could pretend to yourself all was well. (They did look good and matched my Samco water hoses too)

Personally I won't be buying anymore leads from them, the turnaround time was appalling around 6 to 9 months. I paid around £130.

Dave
Last edited by Miles on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi Dave. Yes I've heard mixed reviews from one extreme to the other really - some people rave about them, others reckon they're no better than standard.

The main reason I'm changing is that one of my existing leads (sourced from Eurocarparts a number of years ago from memory) has been pulled at a bit. MartinF spotted it when we were fiddling some months back and reckoned it was on its way out.

So really just a precaution as much as anything. I did look to see if I could locate the standard Bougicord leads but I think R25Turbo/ GTA Turbo leads seem to have become end of life - I couldn't see anyone selling them.

So with that in mind (and the positive reviews of Magnecor) I thought I'd go this option. Supply time from dcperformance.co.uk was 1 week so a good bit sharper.

I should add that the blue ones (8mm) should be cheaper than the KV85 (8.5mm) ones - I found dcperformance to be the cheapest although it did suddenly occur to me I could have ordered through the club (sorry Steve).

Exact cost was £112.38. (Sorry I somehow forgot the shipping when I said £105)
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

Postby si21 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Got mine for the atmo.almost straight away...car runs great and they seal around the plug hole really well...most important when you have the engine bay open to atmosphere ;-)

Would recommend

si21
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Yep just been out fitting mine Si.

They're a fraction longer than the old ones which is good as it gives a bit more flex too. I agree about the seals... it's just plug no1 on the turbo (which is almost under the turbo) will now be a pig to get off. It's actually not too bad providing you remove the plenum (chargecooler in my case) hose, but I think leads getting pulled by the lead and not the boot is the issue for getting them damaged.

Fired up first time so I'll take it for a run over the weekend hopefully.

And hey I've avoided having to do kiddie bathtime so double bonus. :up
User

Miles

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:06 am

Hampshire

Postby Miles » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:27 pm

That's good news Darren a week wow brilliant.
Who is DC performance?

I remember the Samco hoses took almost as long, it makes me laugh how theses companies stay in business. I was told they were more expensive as everyone else orders the 8.5 so in effect a special custom order.

But I did buy due to positive reviews, but I guess there is always one that slips through quality control.
Infact I recall I had to borrow one of Simon Taylor old leads because they took so long to arrive.

Hope they work for you mate I'm sure they will. They have however blown any chance of repeat business with me.

Do they fit your guides though? Also regarding the caps yes they do form what looks like a seal but if your chargecooler leaks , they fill up with water (so don't actually seal) and the problem then is they hide the fact the plug hole is full of water. Which makes the car run rough and because they are covered takes longer to clear.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:48 am

Hi Dave.

Www.dcperformance.co.uk is the company I bought them through. Have a look lots of goodies not sure how much GTA wise.

Yes I agree re seals if water gets in properly then nothing stops it. The design then means they stay wet and as you say you then have misfires etc. I've seen that before so worth checking as it can happen quite innocently.

I've kept the old leads as spares. Hopefully I won't need them but I'll keep you updated.

Yes 8.5s do fit the guides. I will try to take a picture when I get a moment.
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:45 am

I also bought Magnecor 8mm blue leads for the A310V6 from Larkspeed. They were £89.00 including VAT and shipping, almost identical to the dcperformance price for the same kit. This was for 8 leads as it is for the twin coil setup.
They list other Alpine applications here.

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?c=MAG ... s=category

My set was made by 'Carol' and a fine job she made of it.

To date they appear to do the job without any problems and the quality of the assembly, end fittings, plug, coil, and distributor end caps is good.
Previous

• Advertisement