Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 am

Ps no edit button today so I can't correct my grammar...mods any idea why?
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:47 am

Hmmm ??

I like DOT 4 with it's ability to withstand higher temperatures but then I like DOT 5 and it's low water absorption properties ....there's only one way to find out !!!!
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 am

mettersl wrote:Ps no edit button today so I can't correct my grammar...mods any idea why?

I'll see if I can edit this...YES I CAN! Try it now Lee...?

I used the ATE blue when I change the clutch/brake fluid last year and it does seem fine. Not had chance to test the ABS or if there is any clutch fade due to the fluid boiling (it did happen on the tour of wales 2010 but never again since).
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:21 am

mettersl wrote:If abs is working correctly the light comes on when slip is detected.....

Lee, I am intrigued, where did you get this info from...... as my understanding is that the light will illuminate when switching on the ign as a self test to show the ABS is alive..... it will go out when the engine starts, and will only illuminate when you are underway if a fault occurs in the ABS system, not if slip is detected. I would have thought that the noisy pulsing of the braking system is sufficient indication of the ABS functioning correctly.

mettersl wrote:The others I have seen are the same, they seem to work on start up, but don`t join in when it gets exciting.

That seems to be my understanding....... if those other 610 ABS`s are working then this is not a common fault..... it is normal?
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:54 pm

mettersl wrote:The abs computer is shared but not the wheel senders or wiring diagram.
If abs is working correctly the light comes on when slip is detected and the system is active, (as wel, as during self test.) Mine does the self test fine, including running the pump, it just doesn't t come on even when the front tyres are smoking. The othrs i have seen are the same, they seem to work on start up, but dont join in when it gets exciting.
Therefore i have concluded that the A610 abs issues are electrical not hydraulic.....
We definitely have two camps....

Clearly your ABS is not really working then??

The ABS light should never be lit after starting the engine, it will remain unlit even when the ABS is activated.

As for DOT 5, all I can say is yes, it gives poor pedal feel but is great if you leave your car standing as its not hygroscopic.
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:24 pm

I agree, the ABS light will only come on if there is a fault(after startup).

Mr Metters are you getting mixed up with Traction Control?
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:56 pm

Just checked the handbook and the workshop manual again - both say DOT5....but I don't think that is important, there are both DOT5 and DOT4 cars with non functioning abs...

The abs light should come on if the system detects a fault, but not on heavy breaking- yes I got that wrong but... one fault it should detect (according to the fault finding diagram) is that one wheel (or a pair) aren't seen as moving and the rest are- and that should put the fault light on, this is what I was trying to trigger on mine. This should happen at 4 MPH or more.
On mine you can put its rear on blocks and run it up to speed (even an indicted 50 or so) without the fault showing, well above the 4 mph that it should detect a problem.
That's why I concluded there is an electrical problem.
I have tried other computers in it without any change in operation, so I think that is probably OK.
This is probably the most common A610 problem (after the cutting out fault, or overheating) , and it doesn't seem to affect GTA's (which are wired differently). I have only found one owner who could confirm that they had has the ABS on (an ex press car), and I have found many more who know it doesn't work but would prefer to keep quiet.
I have lost count of how many times I have measured all the voltages, checked resistances and modulator operation etc without joy...it still stubbornly remains asleep.
Brake fluid as the cause- I'd still expect to get something to happen...maybe its time for another bleed.
Lee

ls still no edit button for me, must be a MOD only feature in this section.
Previous

• Advertisement