User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Re: Martin’s PRV bone yard…

Postby MFaulks » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi Darren,

Yep, that would be great. BTW the link is a very nice battery charger... :-)
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Postby Tony Smith » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:29 am

" I thought I would test all the different "OE" fitment TDC sensor options you can buy from Ebay from the cheap to the expensive to see if there were any prefered options, and indeed, what substitues could be made"

As you do :0)
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:15 am

Hi Darren,

Found it Martin. It's yours. Hopefully should shed some light as it failed in the classic way with intermittent hot running issues. I'll bag it up. I can post it to you or whatever.

The battery charger is a birthday present (I was told to buy jeans or a jumper, but this seemed so much more useful). My normal charger is just an old standard job, does the task but doesn't condition.

The CTEK ones get rave reviews and are rebranded by Porsche, Ferrari etc. Top quality build and come with connectors / plug so you can wire it to avoid the use of crocodile clips and leave a lead permanently attached for quick plug in. I got it for 59 quid on ebay with the rubber silicone bumper thrown in.

The only downside (just tried it this morning) is that if the battery is totally flat then it's not recognised. Someone else mentioned on a forum that if this is the case then connect a dumb charger for 30 secs max and then plug in. Hey presto it works and is on the desulfation phase at the moment - I'll keep an eye on it.
Reading the manual the desulfation phase pulses the charge - hence seems to be upsetting the alarm as it's seeing rapid voltage spikes. I've disconnected from the car for now, but hopefully once it's charged the trickle phase won't cause the problems so can be left on with the battery fully connected.

But yep, it's a very smart charger.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Tony Smith wrote:" I thought I would test all the different "OE" fitment TDC sensor options you can buy from Ebay from the cheap to the expensive to see if there were any prefered options, and indeed, what substitues could be made"

As you do :0)

Lol, yep very true, but that is why my from-the-ground up incremental improvements are no surprise bud ;O)
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:33 pm

It's the http://www.teamsky.com/ ethos ... :up
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:39 pm

darrenbiggs wrote:
Hi Darren,

Found it Martin. It's yours. Hopefully should shed some light as it failed in the classic way with intermittent hot running issues. I'll bag it up. I can post it to you or whatever.

But yep, it's a very smart charger.

Cheers, thanks. On the charger, yes looks good might get one of those. Mind, my normal technique for recovery, is put the charger on full whack if not more... start charge setting, and give the battery a good dose of reverse polarity grief to vapourise any shorting formations and watch the current drawn skyrocket, and then stick on normal charge (repeat cycle a few times if the battery doesn't pull mega curent in reverse...) ... works a treat :-) but you can't walk away from it when you are doing it though, laugh! You do need to judge it, not for the faint hearted, and guess I should add the health warning that an exploding lead acid is a bit of a nasty affair...

User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:55 pm

You do need to judge it, not for the faint hearted

Maximum smoke again eh Martin?! Oh well 59 quid seems cheaper than the facial surgery to repair matters after being dowsed in acid ha ha. :sarcasm
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Postby Tony Smith » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:56 pm

An old friend of mine - Sir Dave Braillesford, was behind the success of the British Cycling Team over the last 10 years or so (hence the knighthood). His policy to improve overall performance was to break down the entire process into smaller parts and then try and improve every one by 5%. e.g. stamina, power, technique etc for the riders, then bike design, tyre efficiency, etc for the bikes themselves. His theory being that when all those small incremental increases were added up it made a considerable increase.

Not quite sure how that would equate to engine building but lots of things could be improved by 10% without much effort. Turbo, intercooler, spark, head efficiency.
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Indeed and a very nice job to have albeit I'm sure it has had it's challenges..

But on the point of incremental improvements, and picking up Tony's point on breathing, power, and efficiency... I am now at the final stages of sorting my roller cam profiles with another couple of test pieces to ensure I have got everything correct before cutting the first set to be used in anger... that will be a really big day for me, been at this particular cam project in earnest a couple of years now... lots of little problems and mistakes, but I'm not going to bore you with that one :up

no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:46 pm

darrenbiggs wrote: cheaper than the facial surgery to repair matters after being dowsed in acid ha ha. :sarcasm

Doesn't that depend on your 'base-line' face? :silent
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Probably Andy...

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:52 pm

darrenbiggs wrote:Found it Martin. It's yours. Hopefully should shed some light as it failed in the classic way with intermittent hot running issues. I'll bag it up.

Hi Darren,

Well I have tested it now, and as I suspected, it's the magnet that ages, this is down about half (your old duff one):

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Well I have been doing a lot of test and investigation of the various OE Renix components - ecu, coil packs, sensors etc.. and now know the limits of what you can do with them.. as you will see, you can actually stretch them a fair way from what they were originally intended, but they do have their limits and quite a bit you have to do get them there. Long old story and I'm going to leave it at that... I fancy some mechanical injection for a change :D

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:51 pm

MFaulks wrote:.
Indeed and a very nice job to have albeit I'm sure it has had it's challenges..

But on the point of incremental improvements, and picking up Tony's point on breathing, power, and efficiency... I am now at the final stages of sorting my roller cam profiles with another couple of test pieces to ensure I have got everything correct before cutting the first set to be used in anger... that will be a really big day for me, been at this particular cam project in earnest a couple of years now... lots of little problems and mistakes, but I'm not going to bore you with that one :up

Interesting, compliment I guess, someone who knows me from here I guess, asking the cam grinder I use about my profiles and the roller cams for an A610 project, ummm wonder who that is, well you can always ask me direct, I don't bite... :axe laugh :thinking
Last edited by MFaulks on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User

John Law

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:41 am

London

Postby John Law » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:34 am

Hey, I spent Wednesday ringing around all the usual cam grinders for the best price for a set of custom billet cams for a naturally aspirated motor. Piper came out most competitive but I didn't end up using them. The guy I spoke to at Newman told me about the Alpine stuff they were doing for you and a guy in Club Alpine Renault with a 610. Wasn't trying to get an autograph or anything :D

I'd be up for a set of your roller profiles and rockers once they're done if you are selling them and they perform well. Are you going to any of the shows this year, we need to get the club to sort out the Bruntingthorpe day..
JL Engineering UK, follow us at facebook.com/jlengineeringuk.
twitter- jlengineeringuk
instagram- jlengineeringuk
PreviousNext

• Advertisement