Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Sat May 12, 2012 6:14 pm

turbohead wrote:Great to know, good to have a better option if you have to replace the clutch anyway. I did not see this discovered yet before, great that you guys did post here
:) however i'll need a more exotic option then, but we already know a route to go, right :twisted:

I doubt you will need a better clutch. Peter G used to run 260bhp and over 350lb/ft in hill climbing on all the major circuits in the UK, always came in first in class, held numerous lap records too in his GTA, which ran a standard GTA geabox and completely standard GTA clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRPX1PIvTKY
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

A610 Clutch

Postby Tony Smith » Sat May 12, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm running around 340 ft/lbs in my GTA and have an A610 clutch and its not given any problems as yet
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Sun May 13, 2012 10:26 am

MFaulks wrote:Will you be running the standard 3ltr valve spring? I think it would be wise to check for coil bound, I would make sure you have about 60-80 thou minimum between coils. I don’t push the standard springs any further than 9mm full lift on the later 3ltrs heads for this reason.

Here's a later 3ltr OE spring (and standard set-up height) with a faulksie 9mm lift 280 deg n/a cam profile - it's about as far as I would like to go:

I'll put up the cam card specs if anybody is interested, but in total I now have a OE replacement fast road turbo (ask Clee), hot turbo (not for a fit and forget road car - will only be available to engines CLee and I know), a fast road atmo 270 deg profile, 280 deg n/a that works in the OE 3ltr, and a circuit race profile (JIL project only - sorry :-) )

Some thing worth checking is you are getting the optimum valve lift from your cam package, and there are was to do this i.e. maximise the effective rocker ratio without machining the rockers or cams. Ideal is when the deflection of the rocker arm swings equally past the 90 point as below:

Closed:

Mid-point:

Full open:

This is my 10.4 mm lift turbo cam :twisted:
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sun May 13, 2012 10:34 am

Better picture of the later 3ltr pump, if you are not going electric, then consider one of these if you are prepared to do the necessary mods, or have someone do it.

Compare to the old pump picture earlier.

... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

no avatar
User

E M Wynne

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Postby E M Wynne » Sun May 13, 2012 11:30 am

Martin, Will take your advice & fit an 115lr elec. pump... on both cars...will install as per. my recomendations to Chris...what did you use as a good run on timer..Bosch 044 in tank fuel pump next.
Cheers Edie.
no avatar
User

E M Wynne

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Postby E M Wynne » Sun May 13, 2012 11:31 am

Martin, Will take your advice & fit an 115lr elec. pump... on both cars...will install as per. my recomendations to Chris...what did you use as a good run on timer..Bosch 044 in tank fuel pump next.
Cheers Edie.
no avatar
User

turbohead

Rank

Non Member

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 am

Postby turbohead » Sun May 13, 2012 6:32 pm

David, i'll do another clutch because of my inputshaft with M3 pattern.
But i'll crash those torque and powerfigures anyway :evil:
Ress does also more then 500Nm without slipping clutch, but i also want a smaller diameter and ligter one.
I'll talk about this in my thread then.
no avatar
User

cineman

Rank

Non Member

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Italy

Postby cineman » Sun May 13, 2012 7:25 pm

My next PRV will have a very special part in it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You can see it between the block and the flywheel.

( btw , this is the 2.8lt evenfiring, 10,8:1 cr forged pistons, 280deg cams, i am building )
3.0lt Z7X PRV Twin turbo Delorean
RHD Red Renault Alpine GTA Turbo
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat May 19, 2012 8:13 am

You do see some strange things on the WWW :lol: :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PALsc-T ... ure=relmfu
no avatar
User

turbohead

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbohead » Sat May 19, 2012 2:17 pm

These "strange" things will give us flow, swirl and nice burn characteristics!!! :twisted:
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat May 19, 2012 5:54 pm

turbohead wrote:These "strange" things will give us flow, swirl and nice burn characteristics!!! :twisted:

:-) .. what after a good curry? :-) lol...

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat May 19, 2012 6:21 pm

cineman wrote:My next PRV will have a very special part in it. You can see it between the block and the flywheel.. btw , this is the 2.8lt evenfiring, 10,8:1 cr forged pistons, 280deg cams, i am building )

:-) nice picture, did you know there are actually competitions for doing that kind of layout, amazing. One of the oddities I thought was great, some people love engaging in the past-time of transporting static engines to events and running them up on a stand.. Old RR Spitfire engines etc... now that is weird in my book :-)

Andrea, you had better put up some more spec details for the forum, such as:

- what valve springs are you using, rocker tubes (picture of the finished assembly would be good), rods, clutch assembly, looks like back-cut exhaust valves, inlet manifold is late 3ltr even-fire right, which cam chain adjusters are you using, and looks like you are blessed with being able to use the Volvo base plate with the wing sump (much better for oil control and surge)?

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Wed May 30, 2012 12:15 am

Well, I've been bolting my bits together :wink: :lol:

But first, another area of changes over the years of development has been the oil pickup.. last picture in the sequence is the later 3ltr, early small one and rather crude, and the 2.5ltr with flow surge damping plate at the pickup. I prefer the 3 ltr, much more "trapped" volume...

... and after too long in gestation.. bi-turbo is ready for the turbos, and then back in the car. This is an alternative arrangement for those considering it:

Twin plate AP racing clutch 8)

no avatar
User

turbohead

Rank

Non Member

Postby turbohead » Wed May 30, 2012 7:12 am

Very nice sir 8)
So that's the balancing tube with the WG you was talking about!
Why not going internal on the twin setup?

And what a nice clutch 8)
Is the flywheel a lightened oe one?

So a question bombardement over here ! :D
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Wed May 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Chris :-)

Yes that's a lightened OE flywheel. Yes nice clutch, very good units, not the best (not very forgiving) on a dual use vehicle as unsprung centre. I think Andrea may be using this now, as I gave him the details a little while back, so he might have some street miles / experience on one.

Common waste gate makes the use of the common inlet plenum, and balancing the work done by each turbine more easily balanced. Simple enough packaging as well. But as always, there are pros and cons... Just a question of the ones that most suit what you are doing, or going to do :-)

Kind regards,
Martin

PreviousNext

• Advertisement