User

jon_viola

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:45 pm

Sussex

My GTA Turbo Project

Postby jon_viola » Wed May 02, 2012 9:02 pm

So after almost a year of hard work another GTA is back on the road and saved for the future.

I thought I'd write a brief outline of the work carried out- but have a full spec sheet if anyone is really interested along with almost 300 photos of the whole restoration.

The base car was fully specced with full leather, ABS and A/C so a great starting point and although originally red had been resprayed in dark metallic blue- my favourite GTA colour.

As with all classic cars the first thing was to check the integrity of the shell. To this end the rear has been strengthened with aero grade steel including the turrets. The subframe at the rear has been treated as have all the other metal parts of the chassis.

All suspension components have been stripped and rust proofed with new ball joints. The car runs on adjustable Gaz dampers with uprated AVO springs front and Gaz springs rear. Bushes have been replaced where necessary incl anti roll bars.

The brakes have been refurbed and use grooved discs with Padgid blue racing pads with braided hoses. The ABS system has been refurbished. Dot 4 high temp blue fluid is used for the brakes and the uprated clutch.

The engine has been rebuilt by Lee incorporating heads worked on by Martin with bigger inlet inlet valves and other head work. New parts were used wherever possible. A Europa cup spec aluminium rad, twin uprated fans with silicone hoses keep things cool with a chargecooler to keep inlet temps down. The turbo is an ART stage 2 with aluminium hoses, the exhaust a quad exit ART stainless race. There is a Bosch 044 fuel pump with Bosch 252cc injectors on Magnecor KV85 leads. The engine is managed by an uprated Renix ECU with custom chip.

The A/C system has been fully refurbished by OE suppliers Reader Air Conditioning with all new parts and hoses. The interior fan has been refurbished, re-circ motor/flap refurbished and new resistor pack installed.

The interior has been spruced up with refitted headlining, deep clean, leather feed, pedal rubbers and carpets where needed. Leather door cards have been fitted. The door solenoids and window motors have been refurbished as have the wiper motors. The OE stereo has been adapted to include a 3.5mm phone plug for iPod whilst retaining full tape (with new belts!) and radio function. A new ariel has been fitted. The stereo runs Alpine (obviously!) front speakers with separate tweeters.

The car has benefited from a full respray in dark Renault blue with a little added metallic flake as the original red was showing in a few places and there were some bad areas especially around the nose which was badly scratched. New RATs headlight glasses have been fitted. A new windscreen and seal has been fitted with A610 wiper arms.

The car runs on Compomotive MO's- 16" fr 17 r.

So all in all a lot of work!!!! Being an Alpine there are still a million jobs to do and she's not a perfect show pony, but that suits me just fine- I want to drive her not look at her and I spend enough time worrying about my museum piece of a viola without worrying about my car too!

I'd like to publicly thank many of you on here for your advice, procurement of parts and general help especially Andrew, Filipo, Lee M, Andy, BigMVS and of course Stephen.

Martin Faulks for his help, guidance and generally putting up with a musician of little understanding taking up his time to explain things over and over again. I've really enjoyed the process and although I don't think I'll ever speak fluent Faulks I've enjoyed the challenge!

Above all though, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Lee for his professionalism, tolerance (turbo seals !!) and perseverance. He's had to put up with a kak handed assistant with less than no skill or knowledge and who demanded the impossible, yesterday. Lee's patience has been amazing and the hospitality of you and your family gratefully received. Thank you.

Above all I can't wait to take my new GTA to my wedding in June and on to my honeymoon in Europe- which was the point all along
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to mention the small matter of it's shakedown run to Macon :wink: :wink:

1989 GTA Turbo
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate- A.K.A Badke Bus

www.badkequartet.co.uk
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Wed May 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Looks great Jon well done mate.

I would be intrested to see interior pics and or the build, photobucket gallery maybe?
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Wed May 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Well done Jon.

One point of safety though. I'm not sure if that was a temporary pic before it went back on the road, but your rear tyres are fitted the wrong way round.

They're directional and that config is going to be lethal in the wet as it will channel the water into the centre and cause it to lift and aquaplane.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

jon_viola

Rank

Non Member

Sussex

Postby jon_viola » Wed May 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Here you go- some interior shots after initial deep clean by Beautechnique but before radio install and final ECU fitting.

Some pics of the rear stainless welding and subsequent protection.

Engine build up

Rad set up

1989 GTA Turbo

www.badkequartet.co.uk
User

jon_viola

Rank

Non Member

Sussex

Postby jon_viola » Wed May 02, 2012 10:41 pm

darrenbiggs wrote:your rear tyres are fitted the wrong way

Ah-ha!! Best get that sorted then. Well spotted that man, although I must say whilst making haste the other day on the M1 it didn't seem too bad!

Will get them changed over ASAP.

Thanks!!!
1989 GTA Turbo

www.badkequartet.co.uk
User

jon_viola

Rank

Non Member

Sussex

Postby jon_viola » Wed May 02, 2012 10:43 pm

darrenbiggs wrote:your rear tyres are fitted the wrong way

Ah-ha!! Best get that sorted then. Well spotted that man, although I must say whilst making haste the other day on the M1 it didn't seem too bad!

Will get them changed over ASAP.

Thanks!!!

PS I do know about the windscreen wipers before anyone asks! They body shop put them back on the wrong way round.....
1989 GTA Turbo

www.badkequartet.co.uk
no avatar
User

Trevor Skedge

Rank

Non Member

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Postby Trevor Skedge » Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 am

Good Job. Did you do the work yourself? I will need to get the rear turrets attended to on my car at the end of the year so will probably leave that to Clee if he is interested.

Trevor.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu May 03, 2012 8:27 am

I'll swap em over :lol:

It's back here for a few post shakedown fettles ....ABS pump is away being looked at + Intermittent, intermittent electrical gremlins .Not surprising after a few years off the road .
I've found a cover for under the column btw so will pop that on when I replace most of the bulbs on the dash ........
User

jon_viola

Rank

Non Member

Sussex

Postby jon_viola » Thu May 03, 2012 8:49 am

Trevor Skedge wrote: Did you do the work yourself?

Sadly no- unless you count getting in Lee's way as assisting :lol: :lol:

The turrets were done at Lee's too.

Done about 1000 miles now since build so gone back to be checked over before Macon and to resolve a few niggles from sitting for so long.
1989 GTA Turbo

www.badkequartet.co.uk
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu May 03, 2012 9:05 am

It's this one Trevor .
http://www.renaultalpineownersclub.com/ ... php?t=5050
I have Jon's old car in for the same treatment :wink:
no avatar
User

Trevor Skedge

Rank

Non Member

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Postby Trevor Skedge » Thu May 03, 2012 9:26 am

Ah ok thanks. Present plan, if I don't sell it, is to gather parts for the end part of the year and fit tubular wishbones, new bushes and anything else needed along with having the turrets attended to. Let's hope I don't get fed up with it before that. I want to use it through the summer and can't see the turrets getting too much worse before then.

Trevor.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Fri May 04, 2012 12:08 am

Jon, it does look smart now, hope it goes well for your wedding :-)

It would be good to get it back on the rollers at some point and she how it's performing now, will need some map tweaks though, looks like it's running a tad rich... Have you had a good pull on good power yet?
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Fri May 04, 2012 6:55 am

Looks good Mate - I was about to post about the tyre direction but seen someone else had - get the wheels swapped over you'll have next to no grip in the wet that way round :wink:

You've done a cracking job, I do like the leather interior on the GTA - I might upgrade mine :D
Previously Had a Renault GTA V6 Turbo, White on the D-Plate.
User

jon_viola

Rank

Non Member

Sussex

Postby jon_viola » Fri May 04, 2012 8:58 am

[quote="MFaulks" looks like it's running a tad rich... Have you had a good pull on good power yet?[/quote]

Oh yes. Brilliant, 20 psi 5th gear motorway gap pedal to the floor and GTA nirvana :D :D :D

It is running a tad rich I think too so i've turned the CO pot down a little which has helped- i'll keep fiddling and find the spot before we get it on the rollers....
1989 GTA Turbo

www.badkequartet.co.uk
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

Postby phildini » Fri May 04, 2012 9:19 am

Love everything about that car Colour, wheels and the full leather!! and the extra va va voom makes even more exiting!!
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
Next

• Advertisement