Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:21 am

Darren, the charge cooler does introduce pressure losses that the compressor has to operate at a higher duty point to over come. However, as you know there are benefits.

Yep I buy that. There was always going to be some trade-off with the chargecooler's 'drag' but I think the trade-off is reliability in flattening out any spikes in heat and consistency ie power should be similar in hot or cold weather. I wanted consistency and reliability.

The normal GTA intercooler does suffer from the 'Little Chef effect'. You pull off the motorway to get a cup of tea and a toasted tea cake. Try to get back on the motorway slip-road 15mins later and the car is far more sluggish till it gets some air flow going and cools again.

Now you either ate too many tea cakes or it's heat-sink!

Obviously said effect isn't just limited to road-side cafes :oops:
I'm just here for the gasoline.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:30 am

:-) lol... mind you, their fried bread does make you a bit lardy afterwards :-) ... not that I'm talking from experience of course :-)

Are you going to be at either the Northern or Southern meet with the car?
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:23 am

I haven't got it back yet, if I had then I would have tried. They'll be plenty of chances in the Spring I hope.

Make mine an Olympic Breakfast! :lol:
User

Teglen

Rank

Non Member

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Near Salisbury, Wiltshire

Postby Teglen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:07 pm

She failed the MOT today :(

- Emissions, "through the roof" apparently :?
- Headlamps incorrect adjustment, O/S lamp adjusters inoperative

Local guys are quite good so I'm sure they'll sort it all out. Lee, could the emissions be the IACV that was sticking?

I also had a 4-wheel alignment done, it only need some small adjustments, but the mechanic said "it drives very differently" already :)
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Not sure ...Adjust CO pot
Funny thing is your car didn't have one but we put one on for RR tests :? It may be that .Certainly wasn't running rich but with the cams and fueling mods it may push it over for emissions ...
The new chip from MF should turn up soon but is the same except for base settings that should sort the pump prime .Still no byte difference but it does behave on Darren's car so should on yours .
Did they do a spanner check on fixings ? Make sure you go over them before any hooning :wink:
Good result though seeing as it's been in a few scrapes .I have some headlamp adjusters somewhere if you get stuck but will not be around for a bit as under the knife Friday ...Martin should be able to advise though ,think he had a few more print-outs from the RR and all the chip data ,he's your best bet if it is proving awkward .

or just kick the probe out like nonchalant like :wink:
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Paul,

I didn't set the CO pot on the rolling road day as I wasn't sure if this was going to stay with the car or not. Anyway, the CO pot is the major setting for the idle mixture, and will adjust it down to around 2.8% on your calibration settings. Hence, it will pass the MOT. Simply remove the pot cover cap, and adjust the pot fully anticlockwise. I have just done the same with JVs car and he's running on 380cc injectors, and ran consistently around 2.9% CO.

If you have any problems give me a shout directly and I'll help you out. I have a calibrated 4 gas analyser, so if you want to make it over to me near Heathrow term 4 we can do that.

Cheers,
Martin
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:04 pm

clee wrote: under the knife Friday ...

Hope all goes well chap, best wishes.
Martin

no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Postby Dave Williams » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 am

MFaulks wrote:

Martin

Lee..glad you decided to proceed with the gender reassignment...a big step...since I had mine I am a changed man. :D
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:00 am

Dave Williams wrote:
MFaulks wrote:

Martin

Lee..glad you decided to proceed with the gender reassignment...a big step...since I had mine I am a changed man. :D

It'll suit him I think :lol:

By the way I reckon it's the CO pot too, as Fauklsie says take the top off it to change it.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

Trevor Skedge

Rank

Non Member

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Postby Trevor Skedge » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:09 am

Does a standard car have co adjustment and if so where is it as I plan on getting an MOT in Saturday.

Trevor.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Does a standard car have co adjustment and if so where is it as I plan on getting an MOT in Saturday.

CO pot as mentioned above. Should be on the right of the engine bay, in theory clamped to the edge of the 'parcel shelf' - about the size of a cocktail sausage! Sometimes they dangle free on their wire.

Take the cover off and it's a simple pot that you adjust by very small twists with a screwdriver to tweak the CO at idle.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:06 pm

They are ' tamperproof '
You might need to pop out the little round plug in the side wall .Then it's tamperable :lol:
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Dave Williams wrote:under the knife ................ gender reassignment...

Thanks for clarifying, I was thinking that having time off for a haircut seemed extreme :lol:
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:55 pm

I've already had a haircut ....me-Dawny said I had to .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inguinal_hernia

According to the consultant me balls could get bigger or smaller dependent on altered blood flow ....I opted for the bigger option :shock:

PS ..Sorry for the highjack Tegs ....must be in for RAOC off topic award of the year :lol:
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 pm

clee wrote:must be in for RAOC off topic award of the year :lol:

It's not off topic.... early morning surgery, one slip of the knife and you''ll be an early bird!!!!

:lol: :lol:
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
PreviousNext

• Advertisement