darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:49 pm

clee wrote:
must be in for RAOC off topic award of the year

It's not off topic.... early morning surgery, one slip of the knife and you''ll be an early bird!!!!

One slip of the knife and it won't just be the CO pot that's the same size as a cocktail sausage either :shock:
I'm just here for the gasoline.
no avatar
User

Trevor Skedge

Rank

Non Member

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Postby Trevor Skedge » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks fellas, I'll have a look and adjust if required on the day.

Trevor.
User

Teglen

Rank

Non Member

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Near Salisbury, Wiltshire

Postby Teglen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:12 pm

Alpineandy wrote:It's not off topic.... early morning surgery, one slip of the knife and you''ll be an early bird!!!!
:lol: :lol:

THIS :D :lol:
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

Hi Trevor

Postby si21 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Trevor Skedge wrote:Thanks fellas, I'll have a look and adjust if required on the day.

are we talking adjustable balls... very handy for track days or we talking co
Trevor.

si21 :lol:
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:40 pm

talking quick take-aways :wink:

Did both you chaps get your chips? Darren and Mr. Teglen?
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
no avatar
User

Trevor Skedge

Rank

Non Member

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Postby Trevor Skedge » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Az we are off topic, passed tbe MOT today without adjustment :-)

Trevor.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Yes thanks Martin. Might get it installed tomorrow.

What was the note about checking the CO for? (I'm assuming that since fuelling is unchanged then it'd be as it was when it left the rollers)
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:37 pm

:) because I spend the available RR time, looking for power, not setting idle CO pots, and it is directly off the pot more so than the chip at that point - you can vary it from around 2% to 6%. So you have full control of that parameter in free time :wink: Plus I don’t cart a 4 gas analyser up to Alfreton… Hope that makes sense :)

Happy to verify it for you as I extended the offer to Teglen as well, if you want to pop over to me at some point, just let me know.

Cheers,
Martin
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

User

Teglen

Rank

Non Member

Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Near Salisbury, Wiltshire

Postby Teglen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Passed the MOT after adjustment of the CO pot, now at 1.7% :) Wheel alignment was quite a way out, as was the headlamps but all good now.

Also received the new chip and fitted that today... unfortunately the fuel pump is still constantly priming...? Spent the rest of the day doing odd-jobs, fitted new decals etc... if only I had a nice new shiny turbo inlet silicone hose to fit :evil: Stephen...?
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:46 pm

because I spend the available RR time, looking for power, not setting idle CO pots, and it is directly off the pot more so than the chip at that point - you can vary it from around 2% to 6%.

Aha. I did wonder. I think that might sort the idle actually as I think it's running a bit rich - I had been meaning to ask you.

I want to get the suspension geometry checked anyway so can get them to bung the emissions probe on it then.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:13 pm

darrenbiggs wrote:Aha. I did wonder. I think that might sort the idle actually as I think it's running a bit rich - I had been meaning to ask you.

Sure, no problem; I always assume most owners play with them. Don't set it down too low though, you will hear where the engine is sweet anyway, but wait until it's fully warmed up (>80 deg water temp) or you will be on the water temp warm-up fuel enrichment curve... word to the wise :wink:

If you set it down too low, you can get engine cut out on over-run. The Renix 1 control is a bit crude, and it just cuts injection, until the rpm has fallen through a set point, and if you are coming down very quickly to a stop and idle she can cut. All the fuel from the wetted inlet tract has been pulled, and it takes some fuelling to get back to the "wetted carburetion" on closed throttle. Jon V was a past master at this :) . You will also find it if you have a tight built motor.

Anyway, get that chip in and give it a whiz, let us know how you get on :wink:

User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:52 am

Again we're running off topic, but here goes.

Changed the chip out this morning -

Yes teaspoon lever seems crude, but having changed numerous eprom Hostid chips in Sun Sparc systems over the years it's my top tip for anyone who needs to do this. Lever gently from one end, then the other and repeat. That way it lifts nice and gently and straight and the legs don't get bent or snap off.

I haven't driven it yet Martin but it runs and starts fine. Checked the CO pot and it's wound all the way anti-clockwise. If you wind it clockwise it runs rougher. I need to really get it checked on a gas analysis machine, but with the bigger injectors what would your suggestion be if the CO is still too high when it's set to it's lowest? Different CO pot (I'm assuming it's just a variable resistor.... am I right?) Or if so wire in something 'in-line' to step it down.

Obviously it might be spot on, but since it's at the min I thought I'd ask now.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Postby MFaulks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Darren,

Ah ok, if it's fully anti-clockwise it's already on the minimum, and hence you will not be able to drop it further. If it gets rough immediately that's because it's on the richer side of the curve. Best bet is if you can get up to me at a weekend at some point so we can adjust, sounds like the lowest vacuum load line needs some fuelling taking out and will need to do that in the file i.e. set the pot to mid point, and then back the fuelling out of the lowest vacuum line data values until we hit stoichiometric. Then burn another chip. It won't take long. I think you are on 320cc/sec injectors at 2.5 bar, can you please verify their part number and I will check? I have JV's on 380cc/min at the moment on 2.5 bar, and have the CO, CO2, O2, and HC at idle for that one so will be able to compare both your files and do some pre-revision ready if necessary.

Any how, what's the top end like more importantly?

Cheers,
Martin

User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Sounds like a plan Martin.

Re top end. I'm not sure yet :oops: I didn't really find enough space to find out - I went out twice in it, and the second time ended up following PC Plod!

Did manage to do a few things today though. Got some screws and bolts and re-fitted the pedal box cover, ECU cover, fitted the auxilliary blower on the left of the engine bay, fitted the nearside outrigger that connects back from the subframe to the rear. Offside one was a pig and I didn't manage to do it as the studs at the rear aren't captive any longer - there's something spongy behind them but they squash back whenever you offer up the outrigger. Hmmm may have to bond them in place first.

Also the oil pressure gauge has stopped reading, but that may have been me disturbing something when trying to attach the outrigger.

Second trip out was to test the calibration on the speedo as JohnC had mentioned it. Up to about 50 it's spot on, beyond that it starts to under-read a bit, but not bad, and better than most GTA speedos.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:16 pm

And I need to order some of this to join up the engine bay fan:

http://www.viperperformance.co.uk/produ ... xscId=9859

Got to be a better bet than the original fabric coated ducting.
PreviousNext

• Advertisement