John Law

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:41 am

London

Jalopy Showdown

Postby John Law » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 am

Heres my beat up little runaround, its a 1969 R8 owned by some cool old guy for the past 30 years.

Plan is to keep it ratty, do some minor alterations then engine swap and weld the diff.

Its my daily hack so it needs to be reliable but I thought i'd have a fiddle with it. First things first I sourced some old school banded steels (thanks Joe), refurbed them and stretched on some ridiculous tyres.

I lowered it using the age old art passed down from bodgemeister to bodgemeister of cutting the springs, it actually rides pretty good just needs some better shocks. Chromed the headlights for that gasser look, still got loads more to do to make it as unpopular as possible..

Im replacing all the wheel bearings and have found the rears are no longer available but have tracked some down, if anyone wants some let me know..

So in stock ive got a couple of massive turbos, chargecooler, group A carb etc, now I just need a complete gt turbo engine so I can throw it all in the back and have some fun.

Peace
JL Engineering UK, follow us at facebook.com/jlengineeringuk.
twitter- jlengineeringuk
instagram- jlengineeringuk
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:25 am

Lol! That's brilliant, absolutely love it :-) I wish I had kept my old ratty R4 now..

I actually think you should stick a turbo bug motor in the back, dropped in. on it's own sub-frame so you can do it in stages and not break the weekend rule... That would be absolutely hilarious, and a good'un at the bug meets :-)
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

Postby phildini » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:35 am

Hope this Rat look does not become popular otherwise Andy will be out of a job :lol: :lol: I like the wheels.....
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Postby Tony Smith » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:10 am

Looks very cool Johnny Boy :lol: . I wish mine didn't have so many rusty panels as could have left it alone but the wings and bonnet leave rusty streaks everywhere when it rains :( which doesn't look so cool. Got the panels but in different colours or new so won't have that nice patina yours has.The end of the Gordini clones though - at least we are doing something original whether people like it or not :lol:
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:42 am

Come on Tony, get with the trends, rusty streak marks you just lacquer them in! If you're really in then torch it first. :-) But don't forget the bug motor, instant street cred with a much bigger fan base and better looking chicks :-)
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:13 am

Am I the only person to think the headlights & indicators have a slightly cyberman look?
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:02 am

darrenbiggs wrote:Image

Am I the only person to think the headlights & indicators have a slightly cyberman look?

Nope, I have always thought that especially AndyH's mate with the silver one 8)
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

PaulyA610

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Gloucester

Postby PaulyA610 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:07 pm

That as inspired me for mine, love the banded steels looks the nuts!!! Good work fella
Lotus Evora 400
Renault R8
Renault Megane R.S 265 Trophy
Renault megane sport tourer

GAZ Suspension Dealer,SPAX Dealer, Forge Motorsport Dealer,Alpine ICE Dealer,
no avatar
User

Nick B

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:08 pm

Lancaster

Postby Nick B » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Best to keep an eye on them wheels though - I think many were made in the '60's by Weller on Dauphine centres and I've known them to break - they're likely to be pretty old by now and it might not be too difficult to rip the centres out.

• Advertisement