User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Nightmare

Postby Tony Smith » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Still haven't got the bloody car back. Went up to collect weekend before last only for a faulty new bush in the gearlinkage to delay it (Do not buy the Simon Autos ones under any circumstances!). Then the slave cylinder started leaking and was replaced. The starter motor then seized despite working perfectly before. Cold weather then took out the battery. Now it would seem my fears of the heat cooking the starter motor have come true as this has given up after Lee giving it a couple of short runs! Heat shield and cooling pipe being run as we speak. Starting to think the daily driver thing is a tad optimistic :cry: :cry:
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Replacement starter on it's way but I'm going to have to leave it to think on whilst I finish another :evil:
One thing after another with this one .The Simon auto bushes are just way too hard a material and not exactly the correct shape internally .I managed to fit one to jonc's but it took a bit of doing with some heat and I got lucky :?
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:42 pm

Is this the front/back bush at the back? The latest one I got from Renault was nylon (White) and really hard, took small vice to get it in place, or there is the caulking gun choice.

I also do lessons is sucking eggs if needed.

Cheers
Lee
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Yes that one .
They are both now white nylon .The Renault one went in no real problem .The Simon one went into the selector rod OK but will not ' pop' onto the linkage arm .Combination of too hard a material ( which has nowhere to go when in the rod + incorrect socket shape/hole .
I bent the selector arm about half an inch trying to force it in and that's 6mm thick :shock:
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:27 pm

The Renault one went in no real problem

The ones I sent Lee were genuine Renault parts. I have not seen the Simon Autos version.

Having said that some more arrived today from Renault and they do seem marginally harder than the last batch but that may be subjective.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Can you send me a couple ? I have 3 useless ones in stock .Side by side you can really see the difference .
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:21 pm

I wonder if Simon Autos has the wrong cross match, the part number is used in other cars (Judging by the dodgy Russian sites that show this...).
Pain of a job anyway, but if I got another GTA/A610, it will be one of the first tasks.
Previous

• Advertisement