no avatar
User

dallarax19

Rank

Non Member

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:44 am

Looking for engine refinishing links or information

Postby dallarax19 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:47 am

I have used the search function but have found just about everything else concerning refinishing paint etc than just concerning the engine. I am looking for recommendations on what has worked for everyone concerning cleaning and painting the aluminum, oxidation removal etc. Any thoughts?
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm

I haven't had it done yet but I plan to have the rocker covers, timing chain cover and sump vapour blasted by a local contractor. I'm going to do this as an experiment as I've not used this process previously and am interested to see what it does to the appearance of the parts. After blasting, I'll make sure the parts are clean, might put them in the dishwasher, and have no residue left from the blasting process. I was then planning to spray the parts with clear, high temperature lacquer. I might also have the heads blasted.
I would have liked to have the block and lower block blasted but I won't risk it in case the media gets in any of the oil passages, etc. At the moment I've had the block cleaned at an engine builders and I've rotary wire brushed it to improve the external appearance. I will probably do some more cosmetic work on it and then use the clear lacquer. Alternatively, I have some high temperature aluminium paint which might look better.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:47 pm

It all depends on how far you are stripping .
Is it to bare block ? If not then there is only so much you can do and keep the internals safe .
Bare parts I would only blast the covers and plenums etc with the block,heads and bottom plate either steam cleaned or chemical dip .Watch out for core plugs though as some are hard to come by and the cleaners may remove ........
Elbow grease with Gunk and parts cleaner works if you have the time .Wire brushing with drill also dependant .
Finishing ...degrease thoroughly ( more difficult when dealing with built up lump ) etch prime then spray engine enamel , bake as per instruction ( again not possible with a fully built engine )
no avatar
User

dallarax19

Rank

Non Member

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:44 am

I am looking for what the folks have had success with

Postby dallarax19 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:57 pm

Yeah, bare block and loose castings. I have seen many posts on the various sites with PRVs painted and finished but I have no idea how durable the finish was. I have had success on aluminum castings just giving them a good cleaning with citrus cleaner, a blast with brake cleaner and a final cleaning with grease and wax remover then just a light coat of rattle can enamel. As long as you use citrus cleaner it cleans up well but not so good for gas or brake cleaner.

This post seems a bit extreme to me
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5973- ... -Oxidation

This one swings the other way
http://alpinerenault.free.fr/outils/for ... =9&t=27988

so I am looking at what has worked for other people. It could be as simple as C02 blast and using car wax on the exposed surfaces. The one DMC site says NG for POR15 but others say it it the cats pajamas. Anyway, options, options, options but which one? :)

• Advertisement