User

neil-gta

Rank

Non Member

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Glenrothes, Scotland

Reviving my GTA

Postby neil-gta » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:05 am

After nearly two years off the road I've taken the first steps to getting my Atmo going again. It broke down December 2011with what I think was fuel pump or fuel starvation issues and to my shame I've never got round to sorting it. :oops:

So with some help from my father we started having a look today........brakes, starter motor and carbs all appeared to be siezed. We managed to get the brakes free but the calipers will probably need overhauled (think i've found the kits for this online, same as Citroen BX for the rears isn't it?). The starter motor eventually started turning over after a little friendly persuasion with a metal pipe! The carbs might need a bit of work though as the single one appears to be very stiff. Gave them a liberal spray of WD40 and we'll have another crack at them tomorrow.

Regarding the fuel isues I've checked a few other threads and found many helpful comments but I'm still not 100% sure about the pump & filters on the Atmo. My car is a 1989 model so does it just have one pump and is this under the fuel tank? I have a new filter but I'm not sure it's the right one, I think I've found one underneath the car but it looks much smaller than the one I have. My brother has a Turbo and he said there's a larger one in the rear too, is this the same on the Atmo? I'm going to try and clear the fuel lines with compressed air but will probably replace these too and hopefully this will resolve the original issues. It was never a perfect car and unfortunately I doubt I'll ever have the funds to make it so, but I look forward to making it roadworthy again and then trying to wipe the grin off my face every time I get out of it! I'll post another update soon and see if I can get some pictures up but will probably be back with further queries too.

Cheers
Neil
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Re: Reviving my GTA

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:14 am

Nice to hear from you again Neil. Looking forward to hopefully getting your GTA back on the road, pics please!

One fuel pump on the ATMO two on the Turbo. It's a small feeder pump (peirburg I think). One fuel filter on the ATMO as far as I know...

Rear GTA Calipers are Front BX ones. Front GTA Calipers are Renault 25 Items.

Good luck and keep us updated.
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:39 am

neil-gta wrote:I have a new filter but I'm not sure it's the right one, I think I've found one underneath the car but it looks much smaller than the one I have.

The OE filter (Pt. No. 60 01 021 534) is 5cm in diam, length of body is 5.8cm, and overall length is 9cm.
If you want to check if the fuel pump is working, remove fuel line entering the single choke carb, and place into a transparent bottle, get someone to crank the engine on the starter and fuel should flow.
Hope this helps.
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
no avatar
User

neil-gta

Rank

Non Member

Glenrothes, Scotland

Postby neil-gta » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks guys much appreciated.

I managed to get the car started on Friday after a wee bit of work. It turned out to be a pivot bolt in the choke which was seized but it eventually freed off with some wd40 and it's all moving smoothly now. The original fuel starvation looks to have been down to some gunk in the pipe where it leaves the tank. I managed to break this up a bit and dislodge it with a zip tie pushed up the pipe but in the process I damaged the metal section it joins onto which was already a bit corroded :oops: Replaced this and the filter, which actually turned out to be easier to get to than I first thought, and we got fuel through to the engine bay when turning it over. Connected it all back up and it started on the second turn of they key and sounded like it was going to idle ok until I noticed oil pouring out from underneath. Oil change and a new filter later and it all seems to be ok though :P

I think I'll definately be overhauling the calipers if I can get the right kits and the head gaskets will probably require replacement too as I had some issues prior to the breakdown. I take it Renault 25 V6 gaskets will fit here as I think I can get them locally for about £20 each? Also, there's quite a bit of play in the steering but I changed the UJ shortly before the breakdown too so I'm thinking ball joints or steering rack will need looked at.

no avatar
User

neil-gta

Rank

Non Member

Glenrothes, Scotland

Postby neil-gta » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Can anyone confirm my assumption that R25 V6 head gaskets are the same as the Alpine?
no avatar
User

MFaulks

Rank

Non Member

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Postby MFaulks » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:20 pm

Check out the 91mm bore PRV Espace or Pug 505 (think) head gaskets, be better than the old design R25. But yes if for the 91mm bore size (and they should state this), then they will be ok.

Regards,
Martin
... A diamond is only a piece of coal that did well under pressure... PRV afflicted, may be I need to squeeze harder!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/maftecfaulks
no avatar
User

neil-gta

Rank

Non Member

Glenrothes, Scotland

Postby neil-gta » Sun May 18, 2014 6:43 pm

Well that's the refurb'd lower wishbones fitted and I managed to swap the anti roll bar for one with bushes intact. Looks like i'll need a new engine mounting and also a new drivers side handbrake cable, think i got a previous mounting from Renault but not sure about the cable....any ideas? Was hoping to take the car to Le Mans next month but it's beginning to look doubtful now.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun May 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Mount from Renault still ,cable simonauto
no avatar
User

neil-gta

Rank

Non Member

Glenrothes, Scotland

Postby neil-gta » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks to all for the help on here

Engine mount and handbrake cable fitted. Found out the steering rack was knackered but now have a good replacement one. Unfortunately when I went to fit it we found quite a bit of rust around the fixing bracket on the drivers side so having to get some welding done this week. Getting the radiator re-cored while that's going on and the starter motor needs looked at or possibly just replaced. Couple of other things I'm looking for now are the rear spoiler vent trim which needs replaced and I'd like to get A610 wiper arms as I've snapped those little black connectors on the end of mine (and my brothers so two sets required :down )

User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Well done Neil, Keep going there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

The Steering rack mounting is becoming ever more common for rot so you are not alone.
no avatar
User

neil-gta

Rank

Non Member

Glenrothes, Scotland

Postby neil-gta » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:40 am

Are the A610 wiper arms only available from Simonauto nowadays?
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Have you tried Renault? You might be surprised. Otherwise Mr Dell might have some in stock.
no avatar
User

neil-gta

Rank

Non Member

Glenrothes, Scotland

Postby neil-gta » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:05 pm

I did try Renault but they said the part number was no longer valid on their system. They said this was normally due to the part being discontinued. I'll give Mr Dell a shout though, thanks.
no avatar
User

neil-gta

Rank

Non Member

Glenrothes, Scotland

Postby neil-gta » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:09 pm

So the cars back together but not running well at all :down

It actually started first time today after sitting for a few days which surprised me but during a 20 mile drive it was very stuttery to the point of cutting out once or twice when manouvering at slow speed. Started again without much hassle but had to put the accelerator to the floor. We think this is carb or choke related as there's a strong fuel smell most of the time so I'll be searching for the correct repair kits to maybe refurb the carbs.

I also have a bit of christmas tree action on the dash lights but I'm hoping some of that is just down to earths. Alternator light was flashing but the battery was taking a charge when checked recently. Temp light came on but the guage was fine and was still getting hot air. ABS light came but this was intermittent before it broke down years ago and finally the service light comes on but I need to read up on what should cause that so I can check it all before trying to reset it if possible.

It certainly looks better than in the last photo above but still feels like there's a way to go at the moment.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:37 pm

neil-gta wrote:It actually started first time today after sitting for a few days which surprised me but during a 20 mile drive it was very stuttery to the point of cutting out once or twice when manouvering at slow speed. Started again without much hassle but had to put the accelerator to the floor. .

Just check that the fuel cutoff solenoid, which is screwed into the back of the idle jet on the single carb (LHS with 1 wire attached to it) is not loose, as this will cause the engine to stop intermittently when revs drop to idle.
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
Next

• Advertisement